Big decision made today

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buckdropper
Today at dialysis i quickly became overwhelmed when the social worker came in and began explaining about medical coverage (Medicaid) and costs associated with it. Along with prescription coverage or lack of the nightmare continues. I watched as my wife simply fell apart and cried for hours. Its never a good thing to be sick as the mounting paparwork will make you even sicker just trying to figure it all out.. I hope to get everything to make some kind of sence and move forward. being sick sucks azz. Working for over 40 years and eveything i have may all be gone in moments and if it will allow my wife to breath easy i'm all for it. One script is a co pay of 300 a week...
Sorry to hear that, man, that must be the hardest decision of your life or close to it.
As far as your Medicare options go, I regulate Medicare now again since I have moved, and I have done it for years in the past as well. You have time to weigh your options, you have a year to test a policy and change it if you want before you are locked in and can't upgrade, and when in your plan you get 30 days a year as a "free look" at another plan. Just remember, you can't upgrade, so if you want the best coverage, get it at the start, you can always downgrade. In my opinion, do yourself a favor and don't even review the standard plans, get a Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage plan) that has Part D built in, it will cover more and be cheaper in the long run. If you have any questions about anything at all to do with Medicare, let me know, and if I don't know I will find out. I work in the office, so I can find out anything, but chances are I have already been working with it. Just remember, you have options and you have time, so if you need anything shoot me a PM or ask here on the boards.
As said, don't worry, your health is number 1 and enjoy that grandbaby!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickup Man
As far as your Medicare options go, I regulate Medicare now again since I have moved, and I have done it for years in the past as well. You have time to weigh your options, you have a year to test a policy and change it if you want before you are locked in and can't upgrade, and when in your plan you get 30 days a year as a "free look" at another plan. Just remember, you can't upgrade, so if you want the best coverage, get it at the start, you can always downgrade. In my opinion, do yourself a favor and don't even review the standard plans, get a Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage plan) that has Part D built in, it will cover more and be cheaper in the long run. If you have any questions about anything at all to do with Medicare, let me know, and if I don't know I will find out.
I think Buck was talking about Medicaid rather than Medicare. Never been on Medicaid, but there is a difference, right?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Bucky, we're with ya man. Sorry for your delimna, i can't imagine how it must feel with those kinds of decisions. Stay strong and healthy, I know you're the kind of guy who is going to fight and not let this get the best of you

Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have had some very good employees quit over personal issues.

i wish they had come to me, told me there situation and asked for a 1 or 2 month leave of absense. I am a small manufacture and have 23 employees, i have 3 that are over 12 years and believe me, i would do all i could to help them. i would even offer to have a modified schedual.

with 40 years of work, I am guess your age is around 60 so social securty hasent kicked in yet.

Last edited by BROTHERDAVE; 08-05-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
i have had some very good employees quit over personal issues.

i wish they had come to me, told me there situation and asked for a 1 or 2 month leave of absense. I am a small manufacture and have 23 employees, i have 3 that are over 12 years and believe me, i would do all i could to help them. i would even offer to have a modified schedual.

with 40 years of work, I am guess your age is around 60 so social securty hasent kicked in yet.
They tried to give me 4 10hr days but with 5 hrs of dialysis it did not work out. I am no quite 60 (56) and i am now going to allply for SSDI, i don't want to be a burden on this country but i have little choice.... really sicks

Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buckdropper
They tried to give me 4 10hr days but with 5 hrs of dialysis it did not work out. I am no quite 60 (56) and i am now going to allply for SSDI, i don't want to be a burden on this country but i have little choice.... really sicks
Burden? Not at all. I'm glad to see the system in place to help an honest person during an illness. Best wishes and good luck.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by code58
I think Buck was talking about Medicaid rather than Medicare. Never been on Medicaid, but there is a difference, right?
Medicaid is run by the state, and Medicare is federal. If you have worked 40 quarters, you pay no premium for Medicare Part A. If you have Medicaid, you are automatic subsidy 1 regardless of assets or income, and everything is paid 100%, or can be.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Sorry about your situation, hard decision you had to make. But the fact you worked all those years giving a 100% say's alot about you, when there's able people sitting on their *** doing nothing and freeloading on a financial assistance. You are the MAN Bucky so take of yourself and good luck.

Quick Reply: Big decision made today