Need some browser help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some browser help

Hey guys. Long time no see. I've gotten into RC helis so last couple of years I've been hanging out in those forums and seldom drop in here. I need some computer help though and I know there's some wicked smart folks here so maybe I'll find an answer.

I'm working on a friends computer. Running Windows XP 32bit. I already cleaned off several malware, trojans and what I think was one rootkit. Everything seems fine now except for one issue. On some websites certain pictures won't load. I updated to IE8 and also tried the latest Firefox and both act the same way.
Here's two examples. On Google the Google logo doesn't load and the buttons aren't grey. On Yahoo the Yahoo logo (gif) at the top left doesn't load nor do the advert pictures the left and right borders.

This PC runs Nod32 and it's up to date and has been scanned. I've ran Malwarebytes, Spybot and a few other malware removers and it seems like the system is now clean. The browsers not displaying the pictures seems like something in the reg got unregistered or corrupted. I've been through the settings on each browser and by all intents and purposes there shouldn't be a problem yet there is.

I really don't want to format, I would like to just fix this one last thing. Any ideas? I've googled and found other people with the exact same problem but none of the threads end with a fix.

Here's something else I just noticed. On the yahoo.ca page if I put the mouse over where the picture should be and right click/properties it shows me the properties of the picture just like normal. So it's like it's actually there, just invisible. Very odd.

I did un-install all the ATI drivers and control center and re-installed earlier today with the latest drivers but that didn't help either. It's running a Radeon X800 PCIe card.

Does anyone have any ideas besides formatting?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok I just installed Google Chrome and both sites load the images fine in Chrome. I'm not sure my friend will like having to switch though so I would still like to figure this out.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Hijackthis.exe

Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I've got another scan in progress right now. I'll get a hijack log when it's done.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Just an update. I created a new admin profile and all is working well under that one. I'm going to call it good.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try doing a master reset on IE.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Goggle Chrome is the cass ats. I started using it about a month ago after my IE started glitching.

Quick Reply: Need some browser help