"Generation Zero"

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Generation Zero"

Very interesting article here: http://hubpages.com/hub/Generation-Zero by James A Watkins

I agree with Moonchild60, we have to stop fixing blame on one group and find a solution to our nations problem.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Having only graduated from highschool in 2003 and attended a 4 year university to obtain my degree and graduated in 2006 its shocking to have a conversation with many young people today who should be going to college or entering the workforce. It's hard to believe some of these kids don't even know what WWII was or what it was about. Down right shame if you ask me that our own history isn't even being taught in schools these days, especially with the amount of money I dish out every year for taxes and school levies going to these districts that continuosly show no results in their gradutating alumn.

The tests that I was mandated to take in highschool, which were VERY easy and could be passed if students actually retained the material, are now being cast out of schools because students are failing them at such a high rate. So instead of changing the way we are teaching the youth in our country to get them to understand the material, we simply abolish the tests so they don't get held back.....I'm scared to see where we are at when I turn 30 or even 40.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Free, easy, quick and convenient are the biggest fraud being taught to children nowadays and it is the most crippling and damaging to our society today.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Some of the link is true and other parts are a bit offensive to be honest. I think there is a grain of truth in all but some of this is skewed as well. We do need to realize that our values but we also do have to embrace others values as well.

The schools aren't perfect by any means but much of the blame still falls to the parents.

There has been a huge shift in how parents interact with the schools. At one time when our public schools were actually effective, if a school administrator had an issue with a student, they contacted the parents and the issue was dealt with.

By the time I was in school, this started to change. Parents were skeptical and tended to favor their child's side.

Today, the school administrators can't get the parents to do anything unless little Johnny is pissed off, then they storm into the school with lawyers.

There is no respect for authority and the only thing spread around is blame.

Schools spend more money on safety and correction than they do on teaching. Too any kids that don't want to be there are draining the resources of the schools.

I hear people touting how great private schools are and how they do so much more with less. They don't have the headaches that the public schools have either. The parents are more involved and support the mission of the school.

If you take a group of students who are delinquents/gang members and expect to have the same outcome as a group of college bound students, you are fooling yourself.

I know of students that graduated from high school and could not read the diploma they received. It is a sad state of affairs but you can't have 40 year olds sitting in 5th grade still!

Last edited by K-Mac Attack; 11-05-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4
Having only graduated from highschool in 2003 and attended a 4 year university to obtain my degree and graduated in 2006 its shocking to have a conversation with many young people today who should be going to college or entering the workforce. It's hard to believe some of these kids don't even know what WWII was or what it was about. Down right shame if you ask me that our own history isn't even being taught in schools these days, especially with the amount of money I dish out every year for taxes and school levies going to these districts that continuosly show no results in their gradutating alumn.

The tests that I was mandated to take in highschool, which were VERY easy and could be passed if students actually retained the material, are now being cast out of schools because students are failing them at such a high rate. So instead of changing the way we are teaching the youth in our country to get them to understand the material, we simply abolish the tests so they don't get held back.....I'm scared to see where we are at when I turn 30 or even 40.
Of course. Why would we teach them our history when we now are required to teach them Spanish and Islam? I always thought school was to teach kids about OUR history and OUR culture. Not foreign countries.

Funny we were talking about this earlier. When we were scheduled to show up at port in a different country. Any country. We would have a briefing on their culture and and how their country did things. Just so we wouldnt insult them and get killed more or less.

But hey when you come to America we'll learn your language to cater to you and make sure your as comfortable as possible. Crazy if you ask me. We're to busy trying to make everyone else happy when all we do is kill ourselves

Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
My high school education was a joke, I will say that much. My senior year I took 3 classes which lasted a whole 2.5 hours or so. British Literature, Gym, and I can't even remember the last one, and I only took the class 4 months ago. The public school system really is a joke. I am a smart kid, but school never did anything for me, because my school didn't offer metal working or shop class or any of that stuff. All our hands on classes were taken away about 6 years ago, 2 years before I got there because the board of education said insurance for it was too high. My school recently got a $1.5 million football field, yet we couldn't afford insurance for a couple of shop classes?

As far as those other classes went, more than 10 kids dropped out of my british literature class, and only one of them were transferred to another class, the rest just dropped out of high school. As you can tell, my school really had a way of grouping people together who they thought would fail.

My gripe with high school was that until senior year I didn't take a class I really liked. Senior year I was able to go to vocational school and do hands on work, which I like to do. I actually went to voc on days when I skipped regular school, because the teacher was awesome, he was a really down to earth guy who had a lightning and used to race. He always gave us advice in matters in which we were involved, and he helped everyone out and actually got someone who dropped out of high school to re-enroll. Most of the teachers at my other school could care less. Heck, me and a few friends caught one calling us a bunch of jerk offs and we really gave him **** for that.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Drick
Of course. Why would we teach them our history when we now are required to teach them Spanish and Islam? I always thought school was to teach kids about OUR history and OUR culture. Not foreign countries.

Funny we were talking about this earlier. When we were scheduled to show up at port in a different country. Any country. We would have a briefing on their culture and and how their country did things. Just so we wouldnt insult them and get killed more or less.

But hey when you come to America we'll learn your language to cater to you and make sure your as comfortable as possible. Crazy if you ask me. We're to busy trying to make everyone else happy when all we do is kill ourselves
Well at the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty there is a little poem that is supposed to be welcoming. As Americans, we are supposed to be different.

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset hates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lighting, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest-toast to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Only in America

Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by K-Mac Attack
Well at the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty there is a little poem that is supposed to be welcoming. As Americans, we are supposed to be different.

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset hates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lighting, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest-toast to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
How in the world does this have anything to do with anything?

Perfect example of the people stated in the article tho

Its just funny how the liberal crowd refuses to look anywhere and keeps on their path of spending more money and hugging and kissing to solve anything.

I bet you people are also the ones that think its wrong to spank your kids when they screw up. That its wrong to punish your kid for getting bad grades in school and the ones that praise them for doing nothing. Never make them get a job while in high school and by the time they get out of college they dont want to work because they havent all their lifes. So now they have no work ethic.

The flower power generation killed America. Plain and simple. Pampering and hugging doesnt solve anything.

Last edited by Drick; 11-05-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM
My twin boys are two years old. Think I am going to send them off to the coal mines to get working at once! They can get into those tight areas ya know?

Gotta build some work ethic in them doncha know?

Quick Reply: "Generation Zero"