What's easiest way to cut metal roofing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have yet to see anything that cuts faster than a nibbler...those things can cut some sheet metal; just not very accurate. With nibblers, you'll probably need to go back wtih hand shears and trim close to where you want it

Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Green_98
I have yet to see anything that cuts faster than a nibbler...those things can cut some sheet metal; just not very accurate. With nibblers, you'll probably need to go back wtih hand shears and trim close to where you want it
I've used both and for straight cuts and curved cuts with more than a 6" radius, the powered shears pictured are ten times faster. Used with a straight edge, they are very accurrate (achieving accuracy without a straight edge involves some practice because of the speed they cut)Where the nibblers shine is making smaller holes and tight, straight cuts with sharp or tight corners. Both are expensive to buy or rent for a one time project. A circular saw with an old non-carbide blade reversed or, if quite a few sheets are to be cut, a cutoff blade would be less expensive and faster, especially if cutting several sheets stacked together at once.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Just use the darn skill saw and be done with it...

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Use a Marathon carbide blade ( made by Irwin) it will toast the blade, but you should be able to cut 6 at a time. Put it in the saw the correct way and go slow. Saftey glasses and ear protection are a very good idea. Raise and drop the saw as you advance, dont try to go straight through without raising the saw. Also if you put a piece of plywood on the metal for the saw to ride in it works much smoother.

I've cut 1/4" steel with them before, but it will be a junk blade when you are done.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by buckdropper
Just use the darn skill saw and be done with it...
yeah and honestly a skil saw is just as accurate and clean to use. cut the metal with the ribs down, so your cutting on the flatter side, chalk your cut line and begin; simple.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Union iron-workers would require at least a crew of 5 for that particular task.

One measuring, one chalking the line, one actually cutting and two watching for the foreman.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by High-ster
Union iron-workers would require at least a crew of 5 for that particular task.

One measuring, one chalking the line, one actually cutting and two watching for the foreman.
You forgot the extra guy that's required to give rotating breaks to the other guys......

Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
You forgot the extra guy that's required to give rotating breaks to the other guys......
You're right, a crew of 7 guys.

I also forgot the one needed at the other end of the tape measure, too.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Black & Decker Rotary Power Cutter # 7975

Old but best tool ive found, I use to build pole barns. No flying hot metal pieces. But ya ive used the backwards blade in circular saw many of times.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by weadjust
I need to cut several sheets of galvanized metal roofing. I need to cut 12' x 2' sheets in half or 6' x 2'. I have a skill saw, recipricating saw, and a grinder available. Any help appreciated.

P.S. I would like to keep all of my fingers.
If the panels are corregated, an electric or gas powered hand held cut-off saw with an abrasive blade will suffice.

If the panels are flat, hand held rotary saws with either an abrasive blade or a specialized metal cutting blade will work, also.

Try not to breath the galvanization fumes while cutting, too. A dust mask will not offer protection from the fumes. A cheap respirator with cartridge filters will.

An acetylene torch will work the fastest, but usually returns poor results unless you practice a lot.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If the sheet metal is painted or coated (Galvalume, etc) then don't use a grinder or saw to cut it with. Use a nibbler or hand shears or air operated shear. If you use a saw or grinder it will burn off the coating at the edge of the cut and it will rust there and the rust will work it's way under the other coating and rust the steel from the inside out.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by joe51
If the sheet metal is painted or coated (Galvalume, etc) then don't use a grinder or saw to cut it with. Use a nibbler or hand shears or air operated shear. If you use a saw or grinder it will burn off the coating at the edge of the cut and it will rust there and the rust will work it's way under the other coating and rust the steel from the inside out.
No lol. For a proper cut you, need the right tool. Well, it depends on the job. Nibblers or shears leave a sloppy and much more hazardous cut. A saw with the correct blade is choice. The job may require a angle grinder as well. IF there's any worry towards compromising the sheets protective coating (very understandable), then apply the sealer that is sold, -sometimes in 5 gallon buckets, - you can't miss it!

BTW- Nibblers are only as good as the operator, -most of the time lol. However there are some VERY nice nibblers for industrial on the market today. They make the task easier, - STILL, you have to seal any cut exposed to the elements. Regardless of what you use.

That Iron Workers statement above, - hilariousness and so true lol. You forgot about the one required to drive the job site wagon.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by FullerF-150
yeah and honestly a skil saw is just as accurate and clean to use. cut the metal with the ribs down, so your cutting on the flatter side, chalk your cut line and begin; simple.
Plus you can cut multi sheets at one time as well.

Quick Reply: What's easiest way to cut metal roofing?