Beginner's golf clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginner's golf clubs?

I've decided to attempt to pick this sport up. I had a blast playing this weekend in Ruidoso, NM. I know people that work at a country club there, so we played a couple afternoons for free.

Friend suggested walmart for beginning, I'm wondering if I might be able to find decent used ones from somewhere reputable online.

Thoughts?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You could try sports resale shops or even craigslist for cheap (price wise) clubs. I got my callaway irons from a local member here for cheap.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by RileyDog
I've decided to attempt to pick this sport up. I had a blast playing this weekend in Ruidoso, NM. I know people that work at a country club there, so we played a couple afternoons for free.

Friend suggested walmart for beginning, I'm wondering if I might be able to find decent used ones from somewhere reputable online.

Thoughts?
I lucked out and managed to get a set for free from my neighbor. They need to be re-gripped and the bag is a 70's brown and ugly as hell. but free is free! I've played with them a couple times now and they get the job done. Before I got the free clubs I found a couple decent deals on Craiglist for relatively inexpensive clubs. I also checked out some of the local Golf stores, but they were far from cheap for used clubs. They were anywhere from $250-400 just for irons, no drivers and no bag

Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM

I re-gripped all of my clubs. Bought the grips on ebay and the regripping kit from a golf shop. Pretty easy.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
I re-gripped all of my clubs. Bought the grips on ebay and the regripping kit from a golf shop. Pretty easy.
How much did it cost total and how long did it take?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Cheap clubs can really mess up your game. I would suggest getting a good used set. Cavity backs. Adams, Callaway, any name brand. Give yourself a good chance at playing good. Then if you enjoy the game, you really need to be fitted to maximize your game.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Billin21
How much did it cost total and how long did it take?
I got the golf pride grips off ebay for I think $38 and the regripping kit was about $12 or so, from what I remember. Just do some research on how to do it and you won't mess anything up. There's videos on youtube.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Suspended
hmm, anyone play with Ping? Found Ping i3s (I guess I'd do either black or blue dot) used for $180-$240ish.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
as with all hobbies you can sink a ton of cash in before you know if you're gonna stick with it.

I recommend that you look for irons that are oversized, deep cavity, and wide sole in a regular to stiff steel shaft. Graphite shafts are ok for your woods. This setup will not generate the most amount of power or allow you to shape your shots like fades or draws, but will rather give you the most amount of forgiveness, reduce slices and hooks, get the ball up in the air and overall improve your experience.

Head to you local Golfsmith or pro shop. they often have clubs that you can hit for a small fee. Spend an hour or so trying out various brands.

ox

Old 10-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RileyDog
hmm, anyone play with Ping? Found Ping i3s (I guess I'd do either black or blue dot) used for $180-$240ish.
I have a set of those irons (but they're copies called Z-model) that I played with for a while. Not bad.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM
In my opinion until you learn the fundamentals of the game it wont matter if you get a set from a garage sale, craigslist, or Goodwill. Once you've learned them then invest in some descent clubs.

BTW, I bought my first set of Clevelands last year and love 'em.

Last edited by johnnyd2723; 10-13-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
if i were you and you are just starting, i would just go to walmart or target or whatever and get one of the "setsin a box" that comes with everything, clubs, bag, *****, etc. like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications

$200 for a new complete set plus the bag (which you will need obviously). if you are just learning it would be a waste to get an expensive new set or someones used stuff that might be unnoticably bent, etc. imo get something like that and if you end up loving the game, buy a much nicer set in a couple of years.

its what i did and now i have about $1500 worth of clubs sitting in my garage. i play alot, even took a trip to the world golf HOF in st agustine fl and played at tpc sawgrass. its an expensive sport!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Get a set of used Callaway's or Pings off of Ebay. You should be able to get a set that is a couple of years old for about $200 for some irons. I'm sure if you know any golfers, they probably buy new drivers all the time and can sell you one of their old ones for next to nothing or even give one away. I just gave away an older Titleist driver since I never use it anymore and didn't want it littering my garage.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Suspended
i bought some callaway s2h2's for under $200 for a set of irons a few years back. ended up selling them for much more than that. my uncle who owns a golf course swears by these clubs, he tries out all the new clubs when they get them in and he always ends up playing with his old callaways again. as for drivers, try some friends out and see how you like them. in my experience of playing golf, a driver does effect alot when teeing off, unlike irons i played with didn't effect my game to terribly much.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM
I got these a couple of years ago.

http://shop.callawaygolf.com/Complet...tml?sid=x0010#

Complete set of clubs, plus bag for $300.

Quick Reply: Beginner's golf clubs?