Need flu help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need flu help

Hey guys, whats up? Listen I think I got the flu, I been getting sick the last few days and this morning It hit me pretty hard. I have already called 5 different doctors offices with no appointments ava, offices are booked up till next week and I feel horrible.

What can I do to get to feeling better, I work for the prison systems here in NC. They made us sign a paper saying if we had flu like symptoms we would let supervisory know before entering the compound :P. I just feel horrible any one out there in the same boat?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:22 PM
go to the hosptial ER... before it gets worse and your screwed. so please go ER.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
If it were me, I'd go get some Tylenol Flu medicine and ride it out. Drink lots of fluids, get plenty of rest, and don't get near other people if possible. I think going to the ER is a waste and you just risk getting others sick. If you're a some what healthy person, you will fight it off and get better. But if you need a Dr. note to return to work, then I would keep trying to get an appointment with a Dr.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisT
If it were me, I'd go get some Tylenol Flu medicine and ride it out. Drink lots of fluids, get plenty of rest, and don't get near other people if possible. I think going to the ER is a waste and you just risk getting others sick. If you're a some what healthy person, you will fight it off and get better. But if you need a Dr. note to return to work, then I would keep trying to get an appointment with a Dr.
x2... good advice... the best thing you can do is keep contact with other people to a minimum

Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Yo man, appricate the concern. Man these ER around here are horrible, I mean I walked up in one a few months ago spent 30 minutes there and still paying for that bill. And I have insurance. I finally got a appointment for tommorow morning, only thing is its tommorow morning and if i have the flu than there going to put me outta work for the weekend.

I don't really need to miss work, but I done signed a paper saying if I have the flu to stay away. ahhh poey

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drink lots of orange juice and sleep. Whenever im getting the sick feeling, ie: cough, nose, sore throat, etc... I'll drink tons of orange juice and it seems to do the trick. I also try not to take alot of medicine cause if you let your body fight it, it will improve your immune system, I usually just take something at night to fall asleep. Good luck boss, get better.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Nettershakes
Drink lots of orange juice and sleep. Whenever im getting the sick feeling, ie: cough, nose, sore throat, etc... I'll drink tons of orange juice and it seems to do the trick. I also try not to take alot of medicine cause if you let your body fight it, it will improve your immune system, I usually just take something at night to fall asleep. Good luck boss, get better.
exactly... vitamin C

Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Woah.. I'm not gonna play internet doctor.. but I work in ER/ICU.. male nurse ftw.. lol

Seriously though, you need to find a walk-in clinic.. even most primary care providers will accept you if you walk in and you tell them you have the flu (it's a legal thing). If for some reason you absolutely can't go to a clinic or office, then by all means go to the ER..

OTC stuff will not treat the flu, only the symtpoms of the flu.. You need Tamiflu.. most likely 75mg twice daily for 5 days.. and you can only get it with a presciption.. the flu (and h1n1) is extremely responsive to tamiflu, but generally only within the first 2-3 days of onset of symtpoms..

Normally I would tell you just to ride it out.. but with the increasing incidence of H1N1.. you better get yourself checked out ASAP.. the more you wait, the worse it gets..

btw vitamin C won't do much for ya..

Last edited by zeruin; 10-08-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Strikeswiftly
What can I do to get to feeling better, I work for the prison systems here in NC. They made us sign a paper saying if we had flu like symptoms we would let supervisory know before entering the compound :P. I just feel horrible any one out there in the same boat?
That sucks dude.

I say go to work and maybe you will make the prisoners feel a little more miserable.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, back together once again yesterday was rough. Well I finally got a doctors appointment today after waiting to be seen forever. No flu, as of yet the doc said. Ive only got the 4th sinus and 3rd inter ear infection so far in 09. Doc has put me on 2 antibiotics and refered me to a ENT with cronic sinusitis.

They said I will probley have a surgery within the next few weeks to remove any harmfull stuff up in my sinus cavity. Thats gonna be gross and painfull!

Thanks for all the help guys and hey male nurse FTW!!! I wish I could make it through the school!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by zeruin
Woah.. I'm not gonna play internet doctor.. but I work in ER/ICU.. male nurse ftw.. lol

Seriously though, you need to find a walk-in clinic.. even most primary care providers will accept you if you walk in and you tell them you have the flu (it's a legal thing). If for some reason you absolutely can't go to a clinic or office, then by all means go to the ER..

OTC stuff will not treat the flu, only the symtpoms of the flu.. You need Tamiflu.. most likely 75mg twice daily for 5 days.. and you can only get it with a presciption.. the flu (and h1n1) is extremely responsive to tamiflu, but generally only within the first 2-3 days of onset of symtpoms..

Normally I would tell you just to ride it out.. but with the increasing incidence of H1N1.. you better get yourself checked out ASAP.. the more you wait, the worse it gets..

btw vitamin C won't do much for ya..
******...lol

Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Tamiflu only works to its potential if you use it within the first 48 hours of feeling sick! I was confirmed H1N1 positive a few months back... waited too long so the tamiflu didn't work! Life was very miserable for nearly two weeks solid... and to this day my lungs are not the same!

If you think you have the flu... see a doctor!

Nem

Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Strikeswiftly
Hey guys, whats up? Listen I think I got the flu, I been getting sick the last few days and this morning It hit me pretty hard. I have already called 5 different doctors offices with no appointments ava, offices are booked up till next week and I feel horrible.

I know how ya feel there, I just got over the flu this week and I work for the DOC up here in VA. Luckily I was on my short week where I only had to work wed and thurs and ended up going to the doctor wed and was out of work that night and thursday..thats when it hit me to worst, I stayed on medicine and by monday I felt alright.....but not better then alot of the nurses gave me meds while I was at work to help and now im better.....But its hard with everything going around half the officers on our shift are sick and no body knows what to do. Hope ya get better soon.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 PM
When I was in the Army and we were out in the field or whatever and someone got sick, They would load us up on Vit C (Like 5 or 6 Grams) with VIt d (Normal Dose) and tryptophan in form of 5-HTP to feel better..

It really seemed to work, except a lot of vit c would give us diarrhea.

But felt so much better within a day.

There is actually studies done by researches saying large doses of vit c will "cure" colds.

Honestly, when I feel a cold coming on, I load up on vit c about 10 grams.

I haven't seemed to have a cold in about 2 years. Coincidence, I don't know.

Last edited by OrdnanceCorps; 10-09-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by FI10Fires
I know how ya feel there, I just got over the flu this week and I work for the DOC up here in VA. Luckily I was on my short week where I only had to work wed and thurs and ended up going to the doctor wed and was out of work that night and thursday..thats when it hit me to worst, I stayed on medicine and by monday I felt alright.....but not better then alot of the nurses gave me meds while I was at work to help and now im better.....But its hard with everything going around half the officers on our shift are sick and no body knows what to do. Hope ya get better soon.
Thats interesting seems like you guys run the same shifts as we do here. I can agree we usually have to work overtime about 3 times a month due to staff calling in sick. These botics are kinda making me feel groggy.

Quick Reply: Need flu help