Monster Truck show and a 2 year old...Should I bring him?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definetly would not.Mainly because of the exhaust fumes generated by these types of motors.The kids brain is still developing wait til he/she is a little older after the developing stage. You can stop the noise but you cant stop him from inhaling. Ask your pediatrician before you take him, see what they have to say.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, some of ya'll are paranoid as hell.

I loved going to these shows as a kid. the outdoor events arent too loud if your in the mid section.

worried there will be vibrations running through his body? right, like thats gonna hurt the boy lol. take earplugs, have a blast. there is always youngins around at these shows.

fumes, hello, it wouldnt be allowed to happen without sufficient fresh air supply.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
These things are loud, if he won't wear the ear plugs, he should not get to go. His ear canals are going to be smaller than an adults, so he's going to need ear plugs that are small. I have small ear canals, so certain brands hurt after wearing them for a while. Different brands roll up into different diameters. For instance Howard Leight "Max" ear plugs are simply too big for my ears, While the cheap yellow "E.A.R." plugs are great for me. Ear muffs if the kid will wear them are excellent.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

He sounds a lot like my son when he was that age. My son's first words were "lawnmowee" (lawnmower). The kid loves(d) anything with a motor. Might have something to do with him riding with me on dirt bikes and tractors since he was probably 3 months old.

Go out a buy a couple cheap pair of these

If you wear them too then he won't mind wearing them since Dad is.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by mxracer49
He sounds a lot like my son when he was that age. My son's first words were "lawnmowee" (lawnmower). The kid loves(d) anything with a motor. Might have something to do with him riding with me on dirt bikes and tractors since he was probably 3 months old.

Go out a buy a couple cheap pair of these

If you wear them too then he won't mind wearing them since Dad is.
Bingo, The noise is not NON-STOP so you can take them on and off as needed and he'll LOVE it. My son did and he was 3 when he first went.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Well just a comparison we have something down here called the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and I've seen kids around that age at the concerts. There LOUD and after I leave I'm yelling due to it being so loud. In fact when we went to see Gary Allen on kid around 2 - 3 was sleeping halfway throught the concert.

I would say the concerts are much louder and for a longer period of time than the Monster Jam'. I've been to a few Monster Jam' and really didnt find them that loud. I say take him, slap some shoutgun muffs on him and enjoy. He's 2-1/2...he'll let you know if he isn't liking it.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Certainly gives me some things to think about. I'll probably end up taking him I'm thinking, as long as I can get him use to the ear protection first. I don't think I would consider it without ear protection for him.

Seattle last year a very young boy got hit in the head with a piece of flying truck part... it killed him. - Chris1450

I remember hearing about this also last year. I thought about that when I first talked to the wife about brining him. While it is something to be concerned about, those things are very rare. I was actually at a Formula 1 race back in 98 @ the Michigan Speedway when a tire flew off a car and decapitated a spectator that was only 3 sections away from us. WHile things crazy things do happen from time to time, it is very rare, not taking anything away from the incident. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'll have to wait and see how he does with the ear protection and see what the Mrs. thinks also.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
You can bring him just don’t try and make him where ear plugs they will never stay in but he should defiantly have on ear muff the kind like the air traffic controllers use. I went to a show a few months back with two of my coworkers and they both brought there young boys one 2-1/2 one 3 years old and both of them keep there ear muffs on the whole time. defiantly get some for you and the 5 year old too if the 2 year sees both of you wearing them he will probably leave them on to be like his daddy.

But by no means should you bring him without ear protection. The sound is so loud already and it is multiplied in the dome or arena where a lot of these events are held.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by jk007
Thanks for all the replies guys. Certainly gives me some things to think about. I'll probably end up taking him I'm thinking, as long as I can get him use to the ear protection first. I don't think I would consider it without ear protection for him.

Seattle last year a very young boy got hit in the head with a piece of flying truck part... it killed him. - Chris1450

I remember hearing about this also last year. I thought about that when I first talked to the wife about brining him. While it is something to be concerned about, those things are very rare. I was actually at a Formula 1 race back in 98 @ the Michigan Speedway when a tire flew off a car and decapitated a spectator that was only 3 sections away from us. WHile things crazy things do happen from time to time, it is very rare, not taking anything away from the incident. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'll have to wait and see how he does with the ear protection and see what the Mrs. thinks also.

That accident could have happened to an adult too, it just so happens to have hit a child.... That was a sad day when that happened to that family... My heart goes out to that family. My 9yr old loves these too, and with that accident it was just a freak thing.. I would hate to see that happen to anybody, but it happened to a kid makes me feel worse but if I went around worrying about that stuff I couldn't have the heart to tell him he can't go with me to the drag races or the monster shows anymore... If they are outside you won't have any problems, but like others have said if he won't wear the earmuffs he won't be able to go... You should be ok thou..

James

Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Just don't get front row seats like I did without ear protection and not cover your ears. It sounded awesome, but I think I definitely lost some hearing. I swear I could almost feel the firing order of the truck when it was idling in my chest.

And when they floored it like at the start of the race, I thought my heart was going to like stop due to the intensity of the sound waves.

Plus I saw it in Bmore, at this arena and everything echoed and was amplified cause it was so small.

But yea, I went with a couple of my cousins who were like 5 and 7 and they had a blast, but they had ear protection.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Suspended
i used to go to SX races, monster trucks, indy races when i was little, just get him hearing protection like the ear muff style not the plugs, much more comfortable for a little kid IMO. as for attention span, if its something i was interested in as a kid i was staring til it was over. also just dont get bottom row seats, they do block off about 15 rows so if they do roll into the seats but i would get mid section just to take out any chances of something happening to your son. maybe the 1st row of the balcony since your sons short he can see everything below and be safe. id definitely take him, just make sure he knows to not take his hearing protection off until its over, and you will probly need to wear some just to show him its not a rule just for him, i never listened to those as a kid.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 05-22-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm sitting here reading this and thinking DAMN I wish I'd taken better care of my hearing when I was young. Hot rod races at Flatrock Speedway, loud music on the car radio, and 34 years in auto plants have taken their toll on my ears. There is no such thing as silence in my life anymore--just the ever present high-pitched buzz/whine/ringing whatever you call it.

Unfortunately, my kids don't seem to have any more sense than I did; my fault, I suppose.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjswan
i'm sitting here reading this and thinking damn i wish i'd taken better care of my hearing when i was young. Hot rod races at flatrock speedway, loud music on the car radio, and 34 years in auto plants have taken their toll on my ears. there is no such thing as silence in my life anymore--just the ever present high-pitched buzz/whine/ringing whatever you call it.

unfortunately, my kids don't seem to have any more sense than i did; my fault, i suppose.

x2

Quick Reply: Monster Truck show and a 2 year old...Should I bring him?