Newest Tundra Frame Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newest Tundra Frame Issue

Have a buddy at work who has a Tundra, and he got a letter from Tojo HQ a few weeks ago informing him of posible frame issues.
He went to the dealer and was told he had to wait for a letter from the state or something before anythnig could be done.
Just for S&G's he went to two local dealers yesterday to inquire about what happens if his frame is found to be faulty.

Dealer #1 had a 20-something yo service mngr., who informed him they "simply" replace the frame.
Not believing what he had heard, he went to dealer #2... they told him the same thing, even showed him a Tundra in their bay which was having its frame replaced...

Are they serious with this?! How many dealers have a facility sufficient enough to perform this type of work?!

My friend said if they find his frame to be "faulty" he's gonna go to my Ford dealer and get a 100-150.

What do ya'll think?!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I think that's what he gets for not buying a Ford to begin with. LOL In all serious though I have heard of frames being replaced. In fact there was a member here that got rearended and was told that instead of totaling his truck, that they were going to replace the frame. I'm not sure how things ended up with him. Someone else may be able to chime in on who that was.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a member on here who did a write-up of a frame replacement he did himself on an 04.

there is also a build going on in the suspension forum where a member tore his 03 down to the frame, and is in the process of putting it back together.

is it possible? certainly. practical... if you're not paying the bill, maybe, but there still has to be a wait time of at least weeks, if not months until the work is finished.

your buddy should've bought a ford to begin w/. personally, i would not trust a tundra, new frame or not. if toyota couldn't get it right the first time, who's to say this frame will hold up?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Seeing as this is only Toyota's 2nd generation of the Tundra, some faults are going to be present. I'm surprised that they are actually going to replace the frame as a recall. I doubt any of the big three would issue a recall on all their truck frames and willingly replace them.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
If I remeber correctly Toyo had a problem with the tacoma frame's as well. I have a friend that had one and Toyo bought it back from him for well over the BB value. I would never own any other truck than Ford. This just seems to cement my descion even more.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Agreed!

Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Seeing as this is only Toyota's 2nd generation of the Tundra, some faults are going to be present. I'm surprised that they are actually going to replace the frame as a recall. I doubt any of the big three would issue a recall on all their truck frames and willingly replace them.
How many horror stories are on this forum regarding the dealership not wanting to pony up and repair an ejected plug or bad cam phaser.....Yea, the big three need to learn a lesson in customer loyalty. I love my ford but damn it can be frustrating.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by ferguson41
If I remeber correctly Toyo had a problem with the tacoma frame's as well. I have a friend that had one and Toyo bought it back from him for well over the BB value. I would never own any other truck than Ford. This just seems to cement my descion even more.
that was complete bull. i'll give that to toyota. they had problems with trucks that were nearly 10 years old. the frames were rusting out. yet again, toyota steps up.

i'd still rather have a ford.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:02 PM
i'd rather be pulling my truck's heads off in the driveway by myself, then trust the retards at Toyota to correctly replace a frame.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Turbo77
My friend said if they find his frame to be "faulty" he's gonna go to my Ford dealer and get a 100-150.
Buy a what? 100-150? Model I never heard of

Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Meh, it happens. No manufacturer is perfect.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Well with the exception of the Dodges ( C-frame ) you really wouldn't have to worry about that with the big three.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by truckncrew04
Well with the exception of the Dodges ( C-frame ) you really wouldn't have to worry about that with the big three.
The Dodge frames are fully boxed, the GMC "professional grade" frames are C channel from the cab back.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
The Dodge frames are fully boxed, the GMC "professional grade" frames are C channel from the cab back.
my dads '05 ram 1500 is fully boxed bumper to bumper. the f550 4x4 at my last job(that was a fun truck!) was C channel from cab back, but thats a HD truck. as far as replacing a frame, screw that! i agree should'ev bought a ford, and to think yota was gonna get into the HD pickup market! if you cant trust yota to build a decent frame at the plant, i sure as hell aint gonna trust the folks in the dealer to tear my truck down and put it back together... hell i dont even trust 10 minute express oil change shops!!! my $.02

Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by aswaff400
my dads '05 ram 1500 is fully boxed bumper to bumper. the f550 4x4 at my last job(that was a fun truck!) was C channel from cab back, but thats a HD truck. as far as replacing a frame, screw that! i agree should'ev bought a ford, and to think yota was gonna get into the HD pickup market! if you cant trust yota to build a decent frame at the plant, i sure as hell aint gonna trust the folks in the dealer to tear my truck down and put it back together... hell i dont even trust 10 minute express oil change shops!!! my $.02

Amen to that!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:05 PM
so what exactly is going on with the tundra frames? my buddy's truck just broke a spring in his 08 tundra it was completely empty except for me and him. we were just moving like 5mph or so in traffic then all the sudden the thing just drops in the rear. the mechanics at the dealer said they have seen it a couple times. so i guess that might end up being the next recall.

Quick Reply: Newest Tundra Frame Issue