Micro cars fare poorly in crash tests

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micro cars fare poorly in crash tests

Smart Fortwo, Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris sustain major damage in front-end collisions

Apr 14, 2009
Comments on this story (37)
Ken Thomas

Associated Press

WASHINGTON–Micro cars can give motorists top-notch fuel efficiency at a competitive price, but the insurance industry says they don't fare too well in collisions with larger vehicles.

VIDEO: IIHS crash test results http://www.iihs.org/video.aspx/releases/pr041409

In crash tests released Tuesday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in the U.S. found that drivers of 2009 versions of the Smart Fortwo, Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris could face significant leg and head injuries in severe front-end crashes with larger, midsize vehicles.

"There are good reasons people buy mini cars. They're more affordable, and they use less gas. But the safety trade-offs are clear from our new tests," said Adrian Lund, the institute's president.

Automakers who manufacture the small cars said the tests simulated a high-speed crash that rarely happens on the road. They also said the tests rehashed past insurance industry arguments against tougher fuel efficiency requirements. The institute has raised questions about whether stricter gas mileage rules, which are being developed by the government, might lead to smaller, lighter vehicles that could be less safe.

"If you were to take that argument to the nth degree, we should all be driving 18-wheelers. And the trend in society today is just the opposite," said Dave Schembri, president of Smart USA.

Sales of small cars soared when gas prices topped $4 per U.S. gallon last year but have fallen off as gasoline has retreated and the economic downturn has slowed car sales. The small cars are affordable – prices of the three cars tested range from about $12,000 to $18,000 – and typically achieve 7.8 L/100 km (36 m.p.g.) or more.

The tests involved head-on crashes between the Fortwo and a 2009 Mercedes C-class, the Fit and a 2009 Honda Accord and the Yaris and the 2009 Toyota Camry. The tests were conducted at 65 km/h, representing a severe crash.

In the Fortwo collision, the institute said the Smart, which weighs 820 kg, went airborne and turned around 450 degrees after striking the C-class, which weighs nearly twice as much. There was extensive damage to the Fortwo's interior and the Smart driver could have faced extensive injuries to the head and legs. There was little damage to the front seat area of the C-class.

Schembri said the test simulated a "rare and extreme scenario'' and noted that the Fortwo had received solid ratings from the government's crash test program. The Fortwo has received top scores from the Insurance Institute in front-end and side crash tests against comparably sized vehicles but in the front-end tests against the C-class, the institute gave the mini car poor marks.

In the Fit's test, the dummy's head struck the steering wheel through the air bag and showed a high risk of leg injuries. In the vehicle-to-vehicle test, the Fit was rated poor while the Accord's structure held up well.

Honda spokesman Todd Mittleman said the tests involved "unusual and extreme conditions" and noted that all 2009 Honda vehicles had received top scores from the Insurance Institute.

In the Yaris test, the institute said the mini car sustained damage to the door and front passenger area. The driver dummy showed signs of head injuries, a deep gash on the right knee and extensive forces to the neck and right leg.

The Yaris has received good ratings in past front and side testing but received a poor rating in the crash with the Camry. Toyota spokesperson John Hanson said the car-to-car test had little relevance to consumers because of its severity.

"It's fairly obvious that they have an agenda here with regard to how smaller cars are going to be entering the North American market in larger numbers," Hanson said.

http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/533297

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Suspended
It will be interesting to see how the Ford Fiesta scores.

I will note, the numbers they provided about MPG are wrong. The Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, and Toyota Yaris all get worse mileage even than the larger Ford Focus. The Ford Fiesta (true B segment competitor) will easily beat the foreign competition on MPG.

Eat that Japan.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah - this "issue" comes up every time vehicles are downsized.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
I will note, the numbers they provided about MPG are wrong.
Eat that Japan.
Keep in mind that those MPG numbers are likely in Canadian/Imperial gallons.

Personally I go by US gallons.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Smart Fortwo, Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris sustain major damage in front-end collisions
YA THINK!!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Wow, who would've thought that? Idiots.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Of course they do, Especially when being ran over by one of our F150's

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I personally dont know why anyone would buy any of these micro cars. I looked at them at the autoshow, the Fit specifically, and the MPG wasnt that great. The fit didnt get any better mileage than a Civic that was the same price with more power and alot more room. I use Honda as an example. I noticed the same results with the Chevy Cobalt and Aveo. Just my $.02

As for the crash results...not really shocked on that one.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Not to mention, they are the UGLIEST damn things on the road.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Huh, who would of thunk it

Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't say.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Graphics Contributor
I saw this on the news this morning. In the video clip, the Smart car goes FLYING against a mercedes that wasn't that big. It literally spun around rapidly.

here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg64wMtl2gQ

I'd like to see that test with an f150 against a smart car.

Hell, my truck against a smartcar.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JBMX928
I'd like to see...my truck against a smartcar.
It would wind up like the smart car.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JBMX928
I saw this on the news this morning. In the video clip, the Smart car goes FLYING against a mercedes that wasn't that big. It literally spun around rapidly.

here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg64wMtl2gQ

I'd like to see that test with an f150 against a smart car.

Hell, my truck against a smartcar.
D.E.A.D. Dead dead dead. Not a chance in Hell I'd ever drive a car like that. Not to mention I'd never fit in one.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are forgetting the FUN FACTOR.

You know when you & your friends come out of the bar and you turn the 'built-for-2" car upside down, lol

Quick Reply: Micro cars fare poorly in crash tests