Custom tach

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Custom tach

Me and my father are working on designing a tach for my truck.
here is one design that we are kicking around.

that will be mounted in a gauge pod on the a pillar.
another design we are working with is above my aftermarket stereo.
its is also going to have inside and out thermometers.

just thought i would share this with you all

------------------
1999 XL, 2WD, standard cab, short bed, sport package, nascar package, bright red, V-6, 5 speed, Rockford Fosgate CD player, Pioneer 6x8. class 3 hitch, fog lights, Black Rhino Lining
http://www.geocities.com/bassbuster/truck.html
I like to hang out at http://www.cooltrucks.net

[This message has been edited by cooltrucks (edited 02-04-2001).]

Old 11-07-2000, 09:03 AM
Thumbs up

That looks pretty good. What size is the dial face?? I just added two gauges to my a-pillar, a pyrometer and a turbo boost. I didn't go digital though, I like to see the hand sweeping around the guage They both light up and are way cool to watch (day or night). Course mine are practical too, wouldn't want to fry that turbo while pulling my 30' trailer.
When you do install that tach, are you also planning on adding some other gauges w/it??

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

Old 11-07-2000, 06:57 PM
2 1/16"
the other pod will probably be used for switches and an infer red receiver. i will post the export of the other design too.

Old 11-07-2000, 07:42 PM
Cool

this is the other design we are thinking about.

Old 11-08-2000, 10:03 AM
Cool

If you went with the second design, where would you put it?? In the dash somewhere?? I see you've got a 5speed, did it not come with a tach??? Call me dumb, but what is an inferred receiver??? What does it do for you??? And about switches, I added a switch just to the left of my steering collum, on the dash. It's the switch for my turbo brake. When switched on, the end of it lights up. But you really can't see it because of the steering wheel. Kind of keeps it out of sight from people checking out my truck and wondering what's in it.

Old 11-09-2000, 12:00 AM
Cool

the second one will go in the gap that my aftermarket cdplay left. right now there is a shelf in the there.
the infer red receiver is like whats used int vcrs to read what the remote sends.
it would use the remote from my stereo and buttons pushed in sequence would change modes. like from tach to thermoter(??).

Old 11-17-2000, 12:02 AM
Question

Tina: Just what is a turbo brake? I saw them install one on TV but i have forgot what they did.
chuck

Old 11-17-2000, 03:29 PM
Thumbs up

Cooltrucks: ever been driving next to an eighteen wheeler and he applied his Jake(spelling???) brake??? That's an exhaust brake. The turbo brake is basicly the same thing, only its all electronic. There are no parts in the exhaust to restrict the flow. It works really great on my 6speed. They are used to slow you down which comes in handy if you're traveling in mountains or towing. Check it out at www.westerndiesel.com

Old 11-19-2000, 12:08 AM
okay.
i see. thanks. is that 6 speed nice? I like my 5 speed.

Old 11-19-2000, 08:33 AM
Thumbs up

Hey Cool: I had an F150 V8 5speed before this thruck soooo I thought there would be no problems switching over. Wrong!!! First, the clutch on a Superduty is WAY (WAY) harder to depress than the F150. OK, I can live with a few days (or weeks) of the left leg shakes The main problem that took me some getting used to was the 6speed gear pattern. They put Reverse to the far forward left and lo 1st is far back left. Real 1st is next to Reverse. and the rest of the pattern is just like the 5speed. You would not believe how many times I tried to miss Reverse, didn't find 1st and tried to take off in 3rd instead!!! Took less than a week but I sure looked like a newby driver there for a while. Now, it's great to drive and I probably couldn't drive the F150 5speed anymore because I'd use too much force on the clutch Just for grins, why don't you try going by your local Ford dealer and test driving a PSD 6speed!!! If you do it, post back here and let me know what you think!!!! Just remember, test drives are free but they sure get you thinking about buying a new truck.

Old 11-19-2000, 10:00 AM
i would probbly have to take my dad with me. I wanted to test drive tis awesome jeep and they wouldn't let. they said i would have to go in an figure out if i could afford it. It made me mad. I am 18 and my parents trust me with expensive vehicles and their lives so i dont see why letting me drive a jeep would be so bad.
sorry for ranting.
I would love to have a PSD. Just the amount of power is awesome. My dads friend has a 99 350 with the PSD its an automatic though. it hauls.

Old 11-20-2000, 04:27 PM
Cool

Ahhh, that sounds like "trials of learning" or just the growing up thing!! If you really want to test drive a PSD 6speed. Talk your dad into it. Make it a father/son thing. I bet both of you would have a blast.

Old 11-20-2000, 07:41 PM
maybe my neighbor would let me drive his semi.
that would be as cool as driving a f-350
he has offereed to let my dad try it before.
those have a lot of power too.

Old 02-04-2001, 07:40 PM
Well my father and i have decided on he round design. It mounts in a auto meter guage pod. the dial size is 2 5/8". we have just started assembly. In these pics we were testing the display board. The display is showing the indoor temperature.

Chuck

Old 02-04-2001, 08:39 PM
Wow, now that is talent. If you don't mind my asking, how are you planning to display temp and stuff on the after market radio?? As far as I know there only a few head units with an input. They are all expensive.What kind of head unit are you using?

Quick Reply: Custom tach