Shrink wrap

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shrink wrap

Just talked to the port agent that is shipping our truck from NJ to Amsterdam and he asked if I wanted shrink wrap. The cost would be 64 dollars and should protect the truck from normal salt air, and who knows what else they do with a truck loading it in and out of the vessel. Anyway, has anybody done this and what was the experience with it.

------------------
(Currently) Ordered 4 May 2000 from AAFES Cancelled, and reordered from Hotze Ford on June 29th. Order accepted by Ford on 7/10; expected delivery 11th Sept 2000.
Arrived at dealer 7 Sept.
Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2001
Arizona Beige Clearcoat Metallic
Pickup Bed Extender
Power Moonroof
F-150 SuperCrew Lariat
5.4L Triton(TM) V8
Front Premium Leather-Trimmed Captain's Chairs with Console, Recliners, and Manual Lumbar Support (Driver's Side)
Electronic AM/FM Premium Stereo, Cassette and 6-Disc CD Changer
Trailer Tow Group, Class III
3.55 Limited Slip Axle Ratio

Old 09-12-2000, 04:34 PM
Wink

Heck, I wanna shrink wrap that sucker when I go to the mall!

Old 09-12-2000, 04:46 PM
I think it is a good idea because of the salt air and also because it could deter anyone from going into your truck and stealing the radio or the floor mats or the jack (which is under the right front seat) or ??? I'd worry that it might rub on the paint, though. Your call.

I just had a piano shipped and the movers shrink-wrapped the whole think because of the affects of moisture.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 limited-slip. CD, remote entry, factory side steps, FORD box liner.

My third F-series: '73 F-100 Custom 240-cube 3-speed, '98 F-150 XL-SC 4.2 5-speed, and '00 F-150 XLT-SC 4.2 5-speed. GREAT trucks!

Old 09-12-2000, 04:54 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Every winter I shrink wrap my 30 boat to keep the snow and ice off it. I don't think doing it to a truck would keep the salt air off it since they will only be covering over the top like with my boat leaving the undersides exposed. Also since the boat is covered for about 4-5 months, I actually vent it to ALLOW air circulation to prevent mildew. It may have a benefit to avoiding minor handling scratches but I would check it over and have the shipper pay for damages anyway. Is it insured during shipping? By who?
Also, I live 100 feet (35meters?) from the ocean and haven't had any noticable harm to any vehicles over the years. I keep them waxed of course but not garaged. How long will it be on the ship?
Lastly, if you ever saw a car carrier delivering vehicles to the dealers, they come from the factory with some shrink wrap covering the exposed areas to avoid scratches from road dirt. Don't be surprised if you don't order it that it comes covered anyway. I think I smell a rat. Hope this has been helpful.

Old 09-13-2000, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend it...and like JDF said..make sure they don't already come wrapped.

I have not had it done to any of my vehicles, but when I was in the Army...and our equipment went overseas on a deployment by sea..our helicopters were shrink wrapped to protect them from the salt and corrosion. It works great! That is a small price to pay for the added protection to YOUR vehicle, in my opinion. I would certainly do it.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil and filter, Build date 7/00

Quick Reply: Shrink wrap