Drag tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drag tips

Well as many of you know I traded in my truck on a '93 Mustang GT and now that I have something that's worth taking to the track I want to run it. My questions go to those of you that have run 1/4 miles before. In an automatic is it quicker to use two feet and brake and gas (slightly) at the same time? Or should I just brake and jump on it? The car is totally stock and I want to run it before I put any mods on so that I can see what my improvement times are. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Neal Coppola

Mike: the dealer renigned on pulling that chip, so once I get a job again (got laid off last week) you will be the first one I call!!

Old 08-23-2000, 04:24 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a problem with that because my right foot is more 'talented' than my left. I can about throw myself threw the windshield trying to brake with my left foot and you really have to creep the vehicle up between the pre-stage light and the stage light. I just couldn't do it with left foot braking. The only thing my left has ever worked is a clutch and that's just bang-bang.
I ended up staging with right foot braking then quickly shifting the left to the brake and right to the gas but, had to do it in less than two seconds so, I didn't have a chance to even check the tach.

I will learn to work the brake better with the left before I go back to the track then experiment for myself on how high to rev.

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat 4x2
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55LS
Dark Toreador Red/Gold
VentShades
Tow Pkg
Line-X

[This message has been edited by Raoul (edited 08-23-2000).]

Old 08-23-2000, 10:41 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always brake with my left foot. It bugs some of the people that notice it. It bugs me when I see other people doing it in a car I ride in, but I have been doing it for years (well, a few atleast, I am 22).

To gain (about) an extra tenth in ET, prestage, then slowly inch forward to stage. Stop as soon as you see the second set of lights. What happens is the very front part of your fron tire just barely breaks the beam. This gives it more rubber, allowing you to accelerate more before the light un-breaks. Your R/T might hurt a little though. See what I mean? WA 2 fAST learned me on this.

Quick Reply: Drag tips