Raoul's rantings

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 09:54 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb Raoul's rantings

The Toyota Camry has been around about sixteen years and has been a good seller. A couple of years ago Toyota came out a a new model, the Solara. It's a Camry except that it has two doors. Seems like cars are getting fewer doors and trucks are getting more. The original definition of a pickup truck was that it had a bed "that could carry stuff". As more doors get added to pickups the bed seems to be getting smaller. The F150 crew is supposed to have what, a five foot bed? It's just a matter of time before the Crew/Extended cab gets introduced. Oh sure, it will start off with just a small fifth door but, eventually it will have six. This will lead to the elimination of the sliding rear window. I mean, what would you need to possibly reach through for? Maybe to change the light bulb over the rear license plate without getting out. Someday, you'll be tooling around in your new Double Crew/Extended cab and your grandkid in the last row of seats will say, "What's this little cubby out back behind me here?" and you'll say, "Well, pickups have evolved quite a bit. I guess it's kind of like baboon's used to have tails."

Someday the salesman's pitch for a pickup will be, "...and all these seats fold down in case you have to haul lumber or such.". What has a vehicle become that has traditional rear wheel drive, a full hood and seats that go back to the tailgate? A stationwagon. I leave for work at 6am, it's dark, I'm bleary eyed. When I get in my crewcab, I'll put on my seatbelt, look up and yell, "Jiminy Crips! Someone stole my steering wheel!".

A school bus seats 45 and it's only got TWO doors, dag nabbit! For me, the perfect pickup truck would be for me to be at the assembly plant during construction, insert me right after the seats then, NO DOORS!

Old 11-19-1999, 11:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing in the world of pickups has been right since Urban Cowboy transformed their image from work vehicles to "cool" rides. This is all John Travolta's fault!

Neal

Old 11-19-1999, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modern trucks = look somewhat truckish, ride like a car, amenities like a buick, priced like a caddy, and if your so inclined to have a lightnin' run like a hopped up corvette.
oh well as long as somewhere in the back row of the lot i can find a 2 door, basic truck without all the toys, they can add whatever they want to the fancy ones.

------------------
'97 f150 rc, flair side,4x4,v6,5 spd, k&n air filter

Old 11-19-1999, 01:16 PM
I believe thats the point of trucks nowadays. People are replacing cars with them. I always like trucks. I like anything, that rides terrible, gets bad mpg, and noisy. I feel that Trucks most likely will go out with style, but there always will be a place for a full-size truck in my driveway!

Old 11-21-1999, 08:40 AM
I owned a Porsche 924 once. I seriously thought about removing the rear hatch glass to turn it into the world's fastest, smallest pick-up. Went so far as to pick out the rear bulkhead-glass from a wrecked VW Rabbit pick-up - anyone remember these?). I also designed teenie varnished wooden side stakes.

Treatment helped.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 Limited Slip. Side steps, CD, remote entry, factory box liner. My add-ons: Older Windstar (driver's side) wiper blade - the one with the air scoop, because I don't slow down when it rains; "f150online" sticker and snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

My second of the "new" F150s. Great trucks!

Old 11-21-1999, 10:30 PM
Thumbs up

Raoul: Nice overview, and somewhat true too! When I need a dose of basic truck, I get in my 1976 Chevy 1/2 ton reg cab/8 ft rusted bed w/ 3 on the tree, AM radio, small v8 and go for a ride. Still quite a hoot even after 23 years @ 170,000 miles of ownership. But when we need to go somewhere fast and comfortable, we pick the F150! Everytime! j.b.

------------------
99 SC Sport, Silver color everywhere, 4.2 auto,3.55 rear gear, split bench, stock AM/FM @ 2 cheesy speakers w/Ford brand bedliner. Keep'n stock from the factory because we love it for what it is...One fine ride!

Old 11-21-1999, 10:35 PM
Hey 10-4. Like the song says, I was country before country was cool. Same for my truck. Had a truck when I was 16,(66 F100), had one ever since. I do like to keep it clean and add those personal touches so everyone knows my truck. But I have to admit I have a few dents in the bed of my truck. A truck is a truck. Figure I'll use it like one. Putting one of those fancy covers on the back seems sort of pointless to me also, might as well have bought an Expedition. I do like the quiet ride,comfy seats, killer stereo, and nice carpet. I like my truck, even though it is alittle softer around the edges than my 66, 75, 80, 82, and 92. Keep up the good word Raoul!

Old 11-22-1999, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Well how long do you think it will be before you have to custom order a regular cab truck?
1 Ford dealer and 1 Chevy dealer in the area didn't even stock regular cab trucks.
No Toyota dealers around here stock the regular cab Tundra either.
Looks like I'll be ordering my next truck whether I want to or not if I decide to stay with regular cab.

Old 11-22-1999, 10:41 PM
Dealer told me that Chevy had even thought about "killing" the Reg Cabs. I don't think so!

Old 11-23-1999, 01:48 AM
Raoul,

I once saw your dream truck. It was a 96 (old style). The truck was a diesel, crew cab with an extended cab!! Followed by a 8 foot dually bed. The truck looked awesome. I believe it was a Centurion custom. This way your grandkid could look out the back window and still see 8 feet of hauling room.

------------------
1999 XLT SC, 4x4, Long Bed, 4.6 with manual trans. Deep wedgewood blue

Old 11-23-1999, 05:30 AM
Huckster, I have seen one of those too. The wheelbase on it was longer than my truck. Quite a custom job.

I feel the same way about trucks, they are taking over the world but I have no problem with it. They are totally practical. I love my old GMC. It is a great old truck, no air, 350 4bbl., manual drum/drum brakes. So what do I see when I am ordering parts to fix it up? Power brake conv. kits, fact. AC kits, power window kits, newer power seat kits, etc. etc. No way! I also love my F-150. Sometimes I drive my Explorer remembering that it is a Ranger with a back seat and a liftkit but I love it too.

Lincoln Blackwood anyone?

Old 11-23-1999, 10:14 PM
Most real work trucks will still go for the reg cab long bed 4x2, etc, then a few will have the 4x4 ext cab, future of autos in general is probably moving more towards something like the subaru's, all wheel drive pseudo-suv/wagon/truck

Old 11-26-1999, 05:20 PM
I don't really mind the SuperCrew having a shorter box. It fills a need. If I were to choose between that and an Expidition, I'll choose the SuperCrew and install a campershell on it. I like the campershell, since I can take it off (with some help) when I need to haul bigger stuff, or leave it on to protect the cargo. Anyways, I do not like the idea of many people buying trucks. Compacts maybe, but full sized? These things are gas hogs, imagine if the majority are full sized V-8's? And the problem of parking if every lot is filled with them. And you're not as special anymore since everyone and their uncle has one. You will surely miss looking down at them lowly car drivers, feeling ever so euphoric watching them in a God-like perspective. I do like the utility aspect of vehicles. I used to bitch about SUV's stating that they are space wasters, only later on to find out some can haul more people than minivans and tow a great deal too. The mini-utes are alright as long as the interior space is maximized, the RAV-4 extended has the same footprint as say an Accord, but can definitely carry much more stuff, and if I am not mistaken, won't guzzle that much fuel.

Leo dC

Quick Reply: Raoul's rantings