Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start question

My lady has a 2008 Focus Coupe. I'm looking to install a remote start system for her for X-MAS. I'm looking to go with one of the factory Ford ones I'm just no sure which one I need. Here is what is says on fordaccessoriesstore.com

"Enjoy the comfort and convenience of a pre-warmed or pre-cooled vehicle. Two systems to choose from: Remote Start Only has a small, single-button key fob that provides long-range remote start and stop. Remote Start with Keyless Entry and Vehicle Security has a perimeter alarm, Progressive Car Find to help locate your vehicle in crowded parking lots, plus a six-button key fob for start/stop, panic, lock, unlock, and up to two buttons that can be programmed for compatible features like sliding doors, power lift-gates, etc. SecuriLock® kit (sold separately) required for most applications. Dealer installation recommended. NOTE: Available for automatic transmissions only. Remote Start with Keyless Entry and Vehicle Security may be eligible for insurance discounts in some states/provinces".

Her car already has a key fob that you press to lock/unlock and release the trunk. Which one of these will I need and would you say that its an easy install. I installed my Navi, speakers, amps, etc in my truck and has always installed them for friends. Is this something that you think I can do?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Suspended
off topic, did you ever decide on a bike to buy?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
off topic, did you ever decide on a bike to buy?
Not yet. I'm looking to make a purchase hopefully by March. I'm still undecided. Its hard as hell. I really want the 09 KX250F but I know its smarter to buy a left over (08 YZ, KX or CR). Its still up in the air. At the same time I need to sell my street bike 04 Kawasaki 636 so that I can get a new street bike, lol. I have a lot going on but I will keep you posted b/c you've helped me a great deal.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Hmmm....

Kind of both on, and off topic here...

Does your girls car have an alarm ? Have you considered one ? The reason I ask, is that I never really thought about 'remote start' very much, but when having my new alarm installed, I went on and had the remote start feature added on at the same time. I think it cost me an extra $80. So far, I've used it twice... Once to test it, and once to show it off to a friend. Might be nice some Winter morning when I have frost on my windows.

Or, air con, on a 110 degree Summer day....

Of course if my truck ever had snow and ice on it, I'd freaking move ! I hate that crap ! :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Looks like for the Focus you can get Remote Start only or Remote Start/Remote Entry/Alarm. the third part is the interface for the PATS.

They don't come with great instructions, but you can call 1-800-FORD-KEY if you need help.

7L2Z 19G364 AA 2008 Ford Focus Remote Start Systems** None Remote Start "101", Includes Two 1-Button Keyfobs and Securilok Interface Kit #4 (7L2Z-19G365-AA)
7L3Z 19G364 AA 2008 Ford Focus Remote Start Systems** None Remote Start, Remote Keyless Entry, and Vehicle Security. Includes Two 6-Button Keyfobs. Requires Securilok Kit #4 (7L2Z-19G365-AA)
7L2Z 19G365 AA 2008 Ford Focus Remote Start Systems** None Securilok Interface Kit #4

Old 12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Not looking for an alarm. If I was I would go aftermarket. I'm looking to add remote start to her car but I want her to have one key fob that does everything like lock/unlock doors, release trunk and start/stop car. In this case which one should I look at.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
As best I can tell (this parts list I have is from August) you can only buy just the remote start, or the model with everything, I would call the 800-FORD-KEY number and see if they have a model that will fit the Focus offering RMST/RKE.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Suspended
my neighbor has it on her 07 mustang. i didn't like how it was set up, kinda a pain in the butt compared to my friends viper (but he has the whole alarm) if you did get her an alarm it would replace her key fob with a new one also, so she wouldn't be carrying around a ton of buttons.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
pmason, I just had a remote start installed in my 08 sedan today. It was a Code Alarm 421.

Anyway if you are looking to install a Ford one yourself, go http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do and fill in the information for your car.

This will give you step by step instructions.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The remote start only kit is usually what we/I recommend and install, it's easier than the full on alarm deal in both installation and programming.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The remote start only kit is usually what we/I recommend and install, it's easier than the full on alarm deal in both installation and programming.
This will give me two fobs, correct. I will take two fobs if it makes installation easier. Do you have a pic of your fobs? and when you say "we" recommend, who are you talking about.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Travis at www.kcautosound.com now offers the Ford 1 button system for your fusion. I put one on my neighbors car in about 45 minutes. It has a harness that will simply plug in between the factory ignition plug. There is a wire to connect for the horn and then have four wires in the kick panel to connect for locks, parking lights, brake and ground. Very easy.

Don't think he got around to putting it on the site yet but hit him up and he has them.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by DirtyDoggT
Travis at www.kcautosound.com now offers the Ford 1 button system for your fusion. I put one on my neighbors car in about 45 minutes. It has a harness that will simply plug in between the factory ignition plug. There is a wire to connect for the horn and then have four wires in the kick panel to connect for locks, parking lights, brake and ground. Very easy.

Don't think he got around to putting it on the site yet but hit him up and he has them.
Sweeet. I will give him a call today.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
This will give me two fobs, correct. I will take two fobs if it makes installation easier. Do you have a pic of your fobs? and when you say "we" recommend, who are you talking about.
"We" as in the Mickey Mouse outfit I work for.

Quick Reply: Remote start question