More Heat out of passenger side vents?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More Heat out of passenger side vents?

Hey ya'll,

Has anyone noticed the passengers side air vents give off more heat than the drivers side? It may be that just my truck is dorked...

It doesn't seem to matter whether your in panel, A/C or heat.

Just wondered, 'cuz it's gettin' old trying to adjust it when two people are in the car.

(and no Raoul, They can't just sit in my lap )

Thanks,
Mark

------------------
'98 XLT, 4.6L, SC, 4x2, 3.08
Black, SB, Flareside,
ARE Tonneau ,
Lined, [img]//millennium.fortunecity.com/magic/388/Smil_lw1.gif[/img]
Tinted,
Deflected,
Mini-Disced ,
Amped 4x100,
Subbed 2x12,
K&Ned,
B-B-B-M-F
Goin' thru tires fast
not Superchipped yet
not Supertrucked yet

[This message has been edited by Mark G (edited 09-07-1999).]

Old 09-07-1999, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

As for me wife is always cutting the vent on her side because she is too cold.
See if pass side is warmer when engine is cold.
Use a thermometer to see how much of a difference you have.
They should be within 5 degrees.
Are both center vents colder than the pass side?

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)
Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp for components.
Jensen 50x2 RMS for subs.
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?

Old 09-07-1999, 08:21 PM
Lightbulb

I've noticed that my passenger side vent has become stuck in the closed postion. I used a nail file to stick through it and unstick the little luvers. Also are all your other vents open?? Try shuting all the others and see if the air is any cooler.

Old 09-07-1999, 08:57 PM
It's like the system is split right down the center of my dash. The 2 center panel vents have temperature differences that are (IMO) 10-20 degrees different. I can put the A/C on and adjust to midrange, I then get cool air out of the left half and warm air out of the right half. Even defrost does this, 1/2 of window condensation 1/2 clear...

I guess it's some baffle underneath if no one else has this problem...?

Old 09-07-1999, 09:00 PM
Unhappy

Are you getting the same volume of air out of both sides?

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?

Old 09-07-1999, 10:36 PM
It sounds like your heater control valve is stuck open. The heater core is on the passenger side of the dash and if the valve is stuck open then the air will be heated even with the A/C on. Does the truck run unusually cool?

Old 09-07-1999, 11:01 PM
Hey,

54regcab, Yes it seems to be the same.

Seacrow, I am not sure what unusually cool is. My truck did this from day one.

If I go to Max A/C both sides feel good and cold with solid airflow. If I go to panel and adjust my temp control to a decent level on my side much warmer air comes from the pasgr. side. If I turn off the A/C (goto panel) and adjust the temp up so a little warm air comes into my side the other side is hot. I can turn up the heat and get good hot air out of both that feels almost the same temp.

It's only when I need a little heat or A/C that this is a problem.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-08-1999, 06:56 AM
Ok, I think I know what gives. It seems to do this in modes that use fresh outside air. The intake for the outside air is on the passenger side along with the heater core. I still think it could be the heater control vavle stuck partially open which would be like having the heat on all of the time but in your case not all of the way on, just a little. Or it could just be the area you are in and how hot and humid it is. I have noticed the three times I have used the heat in Fl. that the passenger side is always hotter since the air has less time to cool goin through the passenger vents. If you are under warranty still I would have the dealer look at the heater control valve.

What I meant by unusally cool is that if the heater control valve is stuck open then the engine will usually run a little cooler than normal and take a little longer to warm up. A heater core is kinda like a little radiator. An old trick is when the engine is overheating, turn the heater on full blast. That helps cool it down. In your case it may be impossible to detect.

I will look at my truck later and see how the heater control valve is actuated, maybe I can be of more help that way. It may also be adjustable.

Old 09-08-1999, 10:20 AM
Mark,

I think Seacrow is on the right track. Some vehicles regulate air temperature by a vacuum or cable actuated door that blends air between the heater core and the evap cooling coil. In these applications, the heater core is always circulating engine coolant and stays warm. The door "hunts" between the heating and cooling chambers to mix air to your preference.

On other cars/trucks, a valve on the inlet to the heater core regulates engine coolant to the core. I'm not sure if the core in our trucks is located upstream or downstream from the evaporator...I haven't dug into it yet. But I think we do have the valve system vs. the door. The only door I hear operating is between the fresh air intake and the recirculating "Max" a/c mode.

Due to the dynamics of air moving through ducts (turbulence, etc.) a valve leaking by and allowing a trickle of radiator coolant through the core would partially explain a temp diff between dash vents. The passenger vents are closest to the core, the left driver's the farthest. In your truck, which outlets produce the coldest air? I'm thinking it's the middle ones.

I remember being able to adjust the inlet valve on my old Dodge Polara, since it also leaked by. But I'm not sure about our trucks on that deal. Let us know what you come up with.

Old 09-08-1999, 05:47 PM
Hey Crazy C,

I think you're correct about the center outlets being coldest. Also, I had a lincoln that had the doors and I had to adjust them when it got older. It's not a fun job. I was kinda hopin' there was a quick fix. I don't hear any doors either. If it gets to be too big a problem this winter I'll take it in.
I have been adjusting the airflow of the panel vents to maintain an even temp so far.

Thanks for your inputs all,
Mark

Old 09-08-1999, 07:25 PM
Red face

The side of the truck where the air intake is irrelevant.
All the air must go through the blower wheel so the problem is after the blower wheel.
When you put the A/C to a warmer setting you are actually reheating the air you just paid to cool.
I think that the water throught the heater core moves from right to left.
By time the water in the heater core travels to the drivers side it has already cooled to the point that it is not heating the drivers side that much.
Try putting the control on panel and floor leaving the fan on low.
That way you don't have to reheat the AC
What I do is roll the window down if it's cool enough that I would have to turn the **** to warm.
I don't like paying for AC when I don't really need it plus i like the little power boost I get with the AC off.
Also i can hear that V8 pumpin' out the ponies.
Ahh nothing like open window driving.
(if its not too hot)

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?

Old 10-06-1999, 12:05 AM
Question

MarkG did you ever get this resolved?

Old 10-06-1999, 08:15 AM
Exclamation

No not yet.

I watched my windows defrost this morning from the right side over to the left. High heat and high fan setting.

I don't think I'll take it to the dealer. I travel too much. It's a minor problem. I'll just wait till I have to get up under there for something else and then I'll check it out in detail.

Thanks for all the inputs though, Ya'll are pretty sharp. Wish you people were at dealerships.

Mark

Old 10-06-1999, 05:23 PM
Exclamation

MarkG,
glad to finally come across your post.

I should be taking my truck in to the dealership within the next 2 weeks due to the same problem. Some days, I get in my truck and freeze my @ss off, no matter what temperature setting I use, then other days, I can't get cold air out of the passenger side vents.

I would estimate the temp difference to be at least 15 degrees!

If I make it into the dealership, I'll let you know what happens!

------------------
1999 F-150 Supercab Flareside Sport Package
Oxford White Full tint Bug shield CD player, 17" wheels, K&N
Ford Soft Tonneau cover
Gibson Super Truck Looking for more!

Quick Reply: More Heat out of passenger side vents?