James Stewart leaves Kawasaki

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James Stewart leaves Kawasaki

James Stewart leaves Kawi to ride for Yami. I dont believe this. I would of thought that Kawi would have done what ever it took to keep this man around.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/racing/LM_team.aspx

Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, the worst kept secret in MX. This has been pretty much common knowledge for several weeks. L&M Racing decides not to resign Reed after he wins the SX championship and he goes to Rockstar/Makita Suzuki. The biggest shock in this deal is that Stewart and Fox Racing have parted ways. L&M signed Kyle Chilsom as Stewart's teamate was also a shock to me.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Yep, not surprised he left Kawi, but I thought he would be with Fox forever.

Now that Villapoto is ready for the big class, Kawasaki probably did not try all that hard to keep Bubba.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 AM
bubba is the fastest guy on the track if he can stay on a bike long enough to finish a race. I mean lets face it he tends to crash a lot and with villapoto moving up who would you keep the guy who either wins or crashes or the guy who stays on his bike and wins overalls.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Stewart is the man at this time. Someone is gonna have to really step it up in 09 to beat him. I hope someone does.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont know if it is true , but i heard the days of the big money factory rider are numbered, the problem is that who rides what dosent seem to matter to the sales numbers. when suzuki had Ricky Carmichael who was the absolute chit, it didnt help them sale bikes.

kind of like nascar, i know it is marketing but do you think in this day and time nascar helps sale cars? other products yes, not the actual cars.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 AM
IMO, Ryan Villopoto is the only person who can beat Bubba (besides Bubba beating himself).

Well, unless Carmichael comes back, lol.

Brotherdave - you are probably right about the rider and championships not really helping to sell bikes. But the factories still want to win titles based on corporate pride, and if they don't field a team that would look bad.

So they are willing to spend some coin on the best riders, as the riders are the key component to success. But clearly the sponsors pick up much of the rider's tab.

'Lifestyle' drinks are the big outside sponsors now, but the money is nothing like NASCAR. Stewart is likely to be under the Red Bull banner, with RV on Monster Energy.

While Stewart probably pulls down a couple of million $ per year from his factory/support team salary, race wins, clothing and drink sponsors, etc..., the money drops down real fast for the other riders. Guys that can score national points but rarely finish in the top 20 are barely making a living, even though they are amazing riders.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Riders switch brands all the time. Look at Carmichael or Mcgrath. They both rode for just about every manufacturer.
There is no brand loyalty in motocross, its all about who is going to pay you the most money.
With how short the career of a motocross racer is, I cant same I blame them. You gotta make a much money as you can, while you can because all it takes is 1 bad crash and your career could be over.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Loyaltly works both ways. There have been numerous times that a company has just let a top rider go without even trying to resign him because they thought he was washed up or they thought that another rider was the next big thing.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
James Stewart leaves Kawi to ride for Yami. I dont believe this. I would of thought that Kawi would have done what ever it took to keep this man around.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/racing/LM_team.aspx
Sometimes the money and quirks are just too much to refuse.
Some bikes and race team support fit the rider so well when they switch (Scott Russell) they dont win as much anymore. Hopefully it will be a switch for the good.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Old 10-06-2008, 01:13 PM
What do you guys think after watching that video. Is just to hard to see him on a blue bike, lol.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
You'll get used to him on blue pretty quick.

Looks like he is still sporting Fox gear.

As for speed, he'll be faster when the season starts.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
You'll get used to him on blue pretty quick.

Looks like he is still sporting Fox gear.

As for speed, he'll be faster when the season starts.
I hope so, lol. In the video he looked rusty.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
What do you guys think after watching that video. Is just to hard to see him on a blue bike, lol.
Looks good. The more top riders we have on the blue bikes, the better.
IMO, Reed leaving and Stewart coming in is one of the best things that could happen for Yamaha.

Quick Reply: James Stewart leaves Kawasaki