Cell phone oops....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phone oops....

Quick question for anyone who may have been in a similar situation...

I hopped in the pool the other day with my cell phone still in my pocket ( I know, nice going) so obviously it no worky anymore. I've only had this phone for exactly 1 year so buying\activating a new one is going to be pricey. I have my old phone which I replaced last year and it still works fine. I'm wondering how much I will be charged to activate this old one and if it even will be worth it. I know that going to the store and finding out is my best option... Just sitting here at work wondering what to expect this afternoon. Thanks in advance for any story\experience with this matter.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What service provider? With Verizon, you are better off logging into your account online and using the ESN changer. It's free vs. the store doing it for a fee. For GSM, just swap the SIM card.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
With cingular/ATT I've always just switched out my SIM card to the new/old phone, that's it.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:48 PM
ahh, should a been more specific.. it's with Sprint so no SIM card.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I was told that a lot of phone companies use a strip behind the battery that will indicate liquid damage to prove against service exchanges for just those types of miss-haps. The other common one is spilling coffee or other drinks on your phone in the car, usually people keep there phone in the cup holder. Yes you should be able to switch to your old phone for a small fee – maybe 30 bucks. However, talk to the provider, usually they will have some special or upgrade option going on. You already have a plan and usually after 1 year you’re eligible for an upgraded phone. If I remember my plan I get a $50 dollar voucher towards a new phone every year or something like that, didn’t really pay attention. It benefits them because you stay and buy a new phone as well. Competition is so strong they’ll most likely help you out.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Suspended
$175000 j/k
if it is a phone from the same provider it usually does not cost anything just go in ad tell them what happened and they should not have a problem I personally have not done business with sprint so i'm not sure but it should be OK

Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Who is your carrier?

I had a somewhat similar expereince, as my phone fell out of my pocket and spent the night under the truck in the rain. I took it to Verizon and they siad I still had some warranty left---it cost me about $80...not too bad---less than I thought. I nver get that insurance---maybe I should.

Tim C.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by racerx1307
I was told that a lot of phone companies use a strip behind the battery that will indicate liquid damage to prove against service exchanges for just those types of miss-haps. The other common one is spilling coffee or other drinks on your phone in the car, usually people keep there phone in the cup holder. Yes you should be able to switch to your old phone for a small fee – maybe 30 bucks. However, talk to the provider, usually they will have some special or upgrade option going on. You already have a plan and usually after 1 year you’re eligible for an upgraded phone. If I remember my plan I get a $50 dollar voucher towards a new phone every year or something like that, didn’t really pay attention. It benefits them because you stay and buy a new phone as well. Competition is so strong they’ll most likely help you out.
Oh they will definetly be able to tell it was submerged, the screen has water under it

I think I am eligible for an upgrade after 1 year but I've always done 2 years to get a better deal. Trying to squeeze all the pennies I can these days and dropping a couple hundred on a new phone ( I like the nice phones) is not really all that important right now. $30 bucks to hook up the old one would be sweet, thanks for the info.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Just call the Sprint customer service and tell them you want to shut off you phone because you are going to go to another provider. They will start begging you you to stay and will give you all kinds of offers. Just wheel and deal with them till you get a new phone from them.
I had them trying to give me a new phone and other deals to stay with them, I still had a contract with them that I was paying $150 to break. But I just got tired of having sprint as a provider (I didn't get service in side the last three places I lived unless I was roaming which was free, But mobil to mobil used my normal plans minutes).

Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisT
ahh, should a been more specific.. it's with Sprint so no SIM card.
Sprint stores will do it for FREE in the store. Or at least thats the case if it is a factory store. Better yet, take it in to the repair center. I betcha they will give you a new phone (same one you already have) for $35.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ayresusn
Just call the Sprint customer service and tell them you want to shut off you phone because you are going to go to another provider. They will start begging you you to stay and will give you all kinds of offers. Just wheel and deal with them till you get a new phone from them.
I had them trying to give me a new phone and other deals to stay with them, I still had a contract with them that I was paying $150 to break. But I just got tired of having sprint as a provider (I didn't get service in side the last three places I lived unless I was roaming which was free, But mobil to mobil used my normal plans minutes).
Sprint service area is pretty lame, luckily I live in the DC metro area so the service is good around here. That's probably the only reason I've stayed with Sprint for the past 6 years. Different story when I head up to the mountains or something for the weekend.

Originally Posted by Zaairman
Sprint stores will do it for FREE in the store. Or at least thats the case if it is a factory store. Better yet, take it in to the repair center. I betcha they will give you a new phone (same one you already have) for $35.
I'll give that a shot, that would be best case scenario for me right now. Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 AM
i dropped my razor in the sink once and just pulled th battery out and let it sit for a couple hours and turned its on, worked great but i know i have an insurance on my phone so its only a 50$ deductible (worth it on a $450 phone, which isnt a razr anymore)

Quick Reply: Cell phone oops....