Anybody have AT&T/Cingular Internet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody have AT&T/Cingular Internet?

I got it months ago. I have the Sierra Wireless AirCard, plugs in VIA USB. I'm having trouble with speed, I moved to these new dorms and have horrible speed. most of the time with 4-5 bars! But Its like I'm paying $60 a month for Dial-up!

Are there any good WIFI range extenders out there? I was thinking of getting a LONG USB cord and hanging this freaking Air Card out the window cause I'm kind of far from the window, but I dont know if that would work. Cingular website says this area has great coverage.

What can I do?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you honestly expect it to be fast? The only good thing wireless cards from Phone providers are any good for is if you own a business and travel a lot and need to check your email a often.

You could try www.speedguide.net and using TCP optimizer to opti' your registry and MTU and such for your wireless card.

Guaranteed it will help a little.

If your saying you have 3+ bars and poor signal I dont think a range extender will help.

You'd have to figure out what you need to set most of the settings for like MTU and TTL and such, but once you find out you should be cruisn' like a 5.56mm round to Abdul sharad lakbva amud ahmed's head.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I do expect it to be fast. When I lived in Hartford, it was the fastest internet I had ever used, but I moved out of the city and now the interwebs sucks. . .

Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
You probably do not have HIGH SPEED coverage there - it's using the standard cellular network which is only dialup speed.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the AT&T card for my laptop, but its the one that goes in the PCMCIA slot. I have (normally) 3 bars and its great speed. It will fluctuate at times, but normally is pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Anybody have AT&T/Cingular Internet?