Started my new job today..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Started my new job today..

I finally started my new job today after being off for three weeks. I was at a Hyundai dealership for about a year and now im working at a fire house as a mechanic. What a different pace. Going from a flat rate type pace to this is going to need some adjusting. But you can't beat city pay and benefits. Anyone else here work on diesels or heavy trucks?

Its was so unbearably hot today and tomorrow's not suppose much better. The thermo in my truck said 102 degrees when i was coming home.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new job, hope it works out well for ya

Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I have exp. working on MTU diesels on a boat, but thats about it. Congrats on the new job. Yea, it was africa here as well in NJ.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Sounds fun..im trying to get my Mechanical Engineering degree

Yea it was 108 today in NC(according to thermo)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I know of someone who works at a diesel shop... this place is really the big gun in the CNY region for doing major overhauls right down to general maintainance. This guy seriously works like 10 hours a day, non-stop. Except for a 30 minute lunch break. It's that busy. He must go through like 20 trucks a day... depending on what is wrong. Sometimes he can do upwards of 30, especially if they are general maintainance (oil changes, bearings, tires, etc...). This place has about 25 certified diesel mechanics. He makes around 75k a year.

Guess what he drives?! A F350... diesel modded to his hearts desire. Why? He knows everything about diesel engines, mods, and he's obviously got the whole shop to himself after hours.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
114 here today. Summer's coming!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I know of someone who works at a diesel shop... this place is really the big gun in the CNY region for doing major overhauls right down to general maintainance. This guy seriously works like 10 hours a day, non-stop. Except for a 30 minute lunch break. It's that busy. He must go through like 20 trucks a day... depending on what is wrong. Sometimes he can do upwards of 30, especially if they are general maintainance (oil changes, bearings, tires, etc...). This place has about 25 certified diesel mechanics. He makes around 75k a year.

Guess what he drives?! A F350... diesel modded to his hearts desire. Why? He knows everything about diesel engines, mods, and he's obviously got the whole shop to himself after hours.

Wow. That’s a crazy shop. Close to 30 trucks in a day is impressive. I cant believe how much heavier every piece is. I couldn’t believe the size of the alternator its like at least 60 pounds. At the firehouse its mostly general maintenance, pump, and hydraulic work. There is a school is in Michigan and Florida so that'll be a nice little vacation if all works out.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 AM
im in the process of transitioning too.i worked at a ford dealer for 5 1/2 years and im about to start work at a harley davidson dealer.(hopefully)air conditioned shop,pay on the clock,and dont open till 9 instead of 7.that flat rate crap sux.i have been out about 3 weeks now.im going to miss having a rack to work on my stuff though.now i have to do my work on the ground at home.good luck to ya on the new job.

Quick Reply: Started my new job today..