Union blockades GM headquarters in Oshawa

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Union blockades GM headquarters in Oshawa

Union members set up a blockade outside General Motors' Canadian headquarters on Wednesday, a day after the automaker announced it was halting production at four factories across North America.

Between 20 and 30 trucks have blocked the entrance to GM's corporate headquarters in Oshawa, Ont., Canadian Auto Workers Local 222 president Chris Buckley told CBC. About 100 union activists and local leaders are gathered at the site.

"Nobody is going into GM’s head office as long as we're standing here today," he said, noting that workers have been allowed to cross the blockade on foot, but not with their vehicles.

Union members are demanding a meeting with GM executives and an explanation of the company's decision to close its pickup truck plant in Oshawa. Buckley said the union wants GM to reverse its plan, which will leave about 2,600 employees out of work.

"This decision will have an absolutely devastating impact, not only on 2,600 of my members, but throughout this community, throughout our province."

The Oshawa plant, which produces the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra, is expected to close in 2009, GM CEO Rick Wagoner said Tuesday during a news conference in Wilmington, Del., prior to the company's annual meeting.

Three other GM plants that assemble pickups or sport utility vehicles are also scheduled to be closed — in Janesville, Wis., Moraine, Ohio, and Toluca, Mexico.

Closure an 'illegal' betrayal: union
The CAW has promised an all-out fight against what it called an "illegal" betrayal. In May, the CAW reached an agreement with GM to postpone a 900-worker layoff at the Oshawa truck plant until September 2009.

As part of that agreement, GM also promised that the Oshawa plant would be employed to work on the next generation of light-duty pickup trucks, Buckley said Tuesday.

"I find it very hard to believe in the last two weeks things have gotten any worse than they were when they committed that."

He said that if the company refuses to manufacture pickup trucks at the plant, it must replace them with another vehicle in order to keep workers on the job.

GM, however, has said it does not plan to allocate any new products to the four plants slated for closure.

Wagoner said Tuesday that higher gasoline prices are rapidly changing the auto industry sales mix, as consumers shift away from large trucks and SUVs.

GM's U.S. sales of trucks were down 39 per cent in May, compared with the same month last year. GM's overall sales of all vehicles were down 30 per cent year-over-year.

"It doesn't make sense to have a plant producing vehicles that nobody is going to be buying," said David Paterson, GM Canada's vice-president of corporate and environmental affairs.

Paterson pointed out that the company currently has three shifts building Chevrolet Impalas at the Oshawa car plant, and there are plans to bring back about 600 people from layoff to begin startup work on the new Camaro, which will go into production at the end of this year.

Buckley said he understands the impact rising fuel costs and a strong Canadian dollar have had on the auto industry, but pointed out that the company intends to continue making pickup trucks in Mexico and the U.S.

Union activists will continue their blockade "as long as it takes," Buckley said, although there has been no directive for workers to walk off the job.

“I am encouraging all of my members to stay on the job and continue to build the best trucks and cars in the industry.”

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...e.html?ref=rss

Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Nick Nolte is there.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Suspended
Its funny how they act as if GM is responsible for the economic changes and the shifts in consumer wants/needs. If these people think GM is closing these plants because they want to they are mistaken. I am sure GM would love for truck sales to be up as it is a extremely profitable segment in their line up. The consumers have spoken and they don't want trucks, you build trucks for a living. You do the math. God these Union guys just don't get it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Nick Nolte is there.

Great call.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Its funny how they act as if GM is responsible for the economic changes and the shifts in consumer wants/needs. If these people think GM is closing these plants because they want to they are mistaken. I am sure GM would love for truck sales to be up as it is a extremely profitable segment in their line up. The consumers have spoken and they don't want trucks, you build trucks for a living. You do the math. God these Union guys just don't get it.
X2 - Instead of blockading GM's HQ in Oshawa, they need to be updating their resumes. Sure I feel bad for these guys to a certain extent, but come on, this is nothing new. The writing has been on the wall for quite some time now.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Nick Nolte is there.

lmao

Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The days of the big three making huge profits on full size trucks & SUV's are long gone!..............

Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Suspended
Due to the blockade, Stealth will not be posting today. Brothers overcoming the brand or something...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Due to the blockade, Stealth will not be posting today. Brothers overcoming the brand or something...
^^^^BOOOOO!. ***.

At least I'm smart enough to work for the world's largest and best military contractor.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Stealth
^^^^BOOOOO!. ***.

At least I'm smart enough to work for the world's largest and best military contractor.
I so could not resist poking ya in the ribs...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Suspended
^^^^BOOOOO!. ***.

C'mon it was funny.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by scott1981
C'mon it was funny.
Nick Nolte was funny. Shines is just a common run of the mill douche.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Suspended
Nick Nolte was funny. Shines is just a common run of the mill douche.
Stealth has a hard when he gets outwitted.... and thus resorts to name calling.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Stealth has a hard when he gets outwitted.... and thus resorts to name calling.
Since when is stating fact name calling?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Quick Reply: Union blockades GM headquarters in Oshawa