snow blower deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow blower deal?

while out camping this past weekend my brother in law wanted to stop by Lester Horning used farm equipment place. He has tractors and such....anyway we saw a john deere trs24 snow blower and he was asking 500.00 i cannot find anything on it by googling it? don't know the year. it looked real clean and the price seemed good. it has 6 forward and 2 reverse as well as battery or pull start. i only have about a 9 car driveway but when looking at them this past year the small ones at sears and home depot were chinsey looking and plastic parts for even more money and were smaller. anyone have any ideas on this deal? The place is in Ephrata pa. thanks.....jim

Old 05-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
If you have a lawn tractor then just put on a blade with wheel weights and chains, it will work so much better than a snow blower. On the other hand if a deere then it's most likely good stuff.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't want to hear about snow, go away.......

Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
how big is your driveway? did you say 9 car or 9 foot? 24" is ok for small driveways, but if you have a bigger driveway i would not go smaller than 27-28.

look at it like this, smaller blower means more time spent outside using it. Check out tractor supply, they have some good ones, though likely packed up for the summer they may have one laying round and you could score a good deal on it.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
believe me, i am not thinking about snow! LOL Just happened upon what i thought might be a deal? i can't even find the specific model by googling...that was why i asked here. snow sucks!!! might just hold off and let the wife just shovel if she needs to get out since i have a 4x4 and a foot or so should be no problem for me

Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
while out camping this past weekend my brother in law wanted to stop by Lester Horning used farm equipment place. He has tractors and such....anyway we saw a john deere trs24 snow blower and he was asking 500.00 i cannot find anything on it by googling it? don't know the year. it looked real clean and the price seemed good. it has 6 forward and 2 reverse as well as battery or pull start. i only have about a 9 car driveway but when looking at them this past year the small ones at sears and home depot were chinsey looking and plastic parts for even more money and were smaller. anyone have any ideas on this deal? The place is in Ephrata pa. thanks.....jim
I think the TRS24 is an older model, like 10 years old. I have a TRS21 that I bought new in 2000.
A friend recently bought, what I think is the new version of the TRS24. It's made by Frontier now because John Deere no longer make their own snoblowers. Frontier is a quality make, and I'm sure they are if John Deere is marketing them. I haven't even changed the plug on my 2 stroke Deere.
Either way, he paid under $1000 for it, and that's Canadian. Although the prices have been adjusted up here on some items to match the US, the price up here is still a little more than the US, but not much.
It's a 7.5 horsepower, and it has the same gears you mentioned the TRS24 has.
I believe it comes with a 3 year warranty as well. You'd have to weigh the value in buying new compared to used.

http://www.machinefinder.com/machine...quip_id=700275

Here's the John Deere lineup:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa..._Ref_Guide.pdf

Last edited by last5oh_302; 05-01-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM
$500 is a little pricey. Back in December I bought a new Craftsman snowmoblower with a 7 hp Tecumseh engine on it and it only cost me about $650. This one is almost the top of the line model (the only difference between mine and the most expensive one is that mine doesnt have a headlight).
I dont care if it is a Deere, no snowblower that is over 3 years old is worth $500. The only exception might be a Honda with tracks on it and even then I would have a hard time paying over $500 for it...

Old 05-02-2008, 06:43 AM
thanks for the info....from what i have seen (and not found) leads me to think it is old. It was really cleaned up to the point of looking near new. But i refuse to pay 500 for something that old. appreciate the info.....

jim

Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
My dad got a old 18"ish yard machine one for a couple bucks (under $10) on a yard sale, stuck a new plug in it and you can't beat it for sidewalks.

I wouldn't do a driveway with it, but it works great for sidwalks. Our driveway is huge, so a lawn mower based unit (either with a blade or blower) would take forever too.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
there's some good info over on the discussion boards at Abby's Guide:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/

This used to be the "What's the Best Lawnmower" forum site.....

I'd lean towards a Briggs & Stratton OHV engine....

Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank God for Texas weather.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by MikeF150
I'd lean towards a Briggs & Stratton OHV engine....
Meh...Ive never been impressed with Briggs. I hate to say it, but Honda makes the best small engine there is.
Ive got a Honda Harmony 2 walkbehind mower with a 5.5 hp Honda GC engine on it. That thing always starts on the first pull and it sips fuel.
Normally Id say Honda sucks, but you cant beat their small engines.

Quick Reply: snow blower deal?