205/65/R16s

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
205/65/R16s

I am looking to get a used set of tires for our 02 altima on ebay. Which brands are good/which brands are bad?
They have:
Hankook
Cooper
Continental
Bridgestone

Also what is a good price for used tires? Here is a link for the search on ebay:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...+16&category0=

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
On a car, not a truck, my experience has been this:
Hankook Mileage Plus tires are decent in the rain and wear as expected for a 50,000 mile tire. Ride is okay and no remarkable fuel mileage change.

Coopers have been okay in the rain but tire wear was bad. I didn't get 30,000 miles out of a 50,000 mile tire. No fuel related issues. Ride was pretty good.

Continental Contacts were great riding tires but tread life was about 35,000 miles. Wet handling was okay and provided the best fuel economy.

Bridgestones wear like iron but the ride is a little sharp. Wet handling is better than any of the above. Fuel mileage is better than the others with the exception of the Contis. This brand is usually more expensive to buy but they last longer and provide more driving safety. They are my pick of the bunch.

B F Goodrich TAs handled great, rode great, wet traction was above average but tred life was short. Expect 30,000 miles and you'll be looking for more tires.

Yokohama tires are great riding, wet traction is great, but fuel mileage dropped by a whopping 20%. Tred life is great as well as handling. If it wasn't for the fuel mileage these would be the best.

I've got 4 cars that I keep up with and unfortunately, the females have no clue about putting miles on a car- just start it and go, works everytime. The cars are in the same size class as yours. The girls manage to go nowhere but put around 40,000 a year on a car. I'd like to think I'm not alone with girls like these.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Before you buy used tires on Ebay, go price new ones at Sam's. The service package at Sam's is a very good deal - $9.50 a tire for new valve stems, mounting, lifetime balancing, free rotation and flat repair, and a road hazard warranty.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Labnerd
On a car, not a truck, my experience has been this:
Hankook Mileage Plus tires are decent in the rain and wear as expected for a 50,000 mile tire. Ride is okay and no remarkable fuel mileage change.

Coopers have been okay in the rain but tire wear was bad. I didn't get 30,000 miles out of a 50,000 mile tire. No fuel related issues. Ride was pretty good.

Continental Contacts were great riding tires but tread life was about 35,000 miles. Wet handling was okay and provided the best fuel economy.

Bridgestones wear like iron but the ride is a little sharp. Wet handling is better than any of the above. Fuel mileage is better than the others with the exception of the Contis. This brand is usually more expensive to buy but they last longer and provide more driving safety. They are my pick of the bunch.

B F Goodrich TAs handled great, rode great, wet traction was above average but tred life was short. Expect 30,000 miles and you'll be looking for more tires.

Yokohama tires are great riding, wet traction is great, but fuel mileage dropped by a whopping 20%. Tred life is great as well as handling. If it wasn't for the fuel mileage these would be the best.

I've got 4 cars that I keep up with and unfortunately, the females have no clue about putting miles on a car- just start it and go, works everytime. The cars are in the same size class as yours. The girls manage to go nowhere but put around 40,000 a year on a car. I'd like to think I'm not alone with girls like these.

Trade you some boys
they go no where and have mud on them!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to look at more than brand name. Almost everymanufacturer makes low end and high end tires. I love my BFG AT KO's but BFG also makes some tires that are junk.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the repies and advice. My wifes grandpa has a tire mounting thing, so I'm not worried about the service side of it. I might have to go get them balanced though. I don't want to spend too much money because we will probably get something else in about a year or so.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM
glc
New BFG's at Sam's in that size are about 75 bucks apiece. Rating is 620 AB.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I had BFG Comp T/A's on my Laser, I had about 30k on them and they still looked almost new. It got around good in the snow, rode nice, and got pretty good milage. The tires that were on it when I got it were junk, so really that is my only experiance with car tires. They were only 14's, so they were about $60 a pop at Sam's.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
glc, my roommate in college was from Neosho, Mo. That's right by Joplin isn't it?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM
glc
Yessir, it's about 20 miles down US 71 toward Arkansas from Joplin.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 AM
What about republic tires made by goodyear? Are they any good?