ARE Cap summer storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARE Cap summer storage

I have an '03 SCrew that has an ARE cap on it that I use for the winter. Now that it is summer, I need a place to store this. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to store in my garage? Looking for something that I can take off and on by myself. Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What a fun project that would be to design.
Envisioning my garage, I'd be backing my truck in, and say the bottom of the cap is 5 feet from the ceiling.
Two pieces of chain 4.5 long bolted to the ceiling about 8 feet apart at the back of the truck, eyebolt a 2x4 across.

For the front, the garage door would be in the way in the open position so, I'd build a couple of 'hall trees' with sturdy legs that another 2x4 could be placed securely.

I'd back the truck in until the board on the chains started to swing back.
Then I'd climb in back, unclamp the shell and lift the back up until the board swung inside with me.

Then I'd lift the front and block it and climb out and slide the front 2x4 in place, remove the blocks and the top would be suspended from the ceiling in the back and the 'tees' in the front.

I wouldn't lose that spot in my garage because the truck could still use it.
I could also mount and unmount the top by myself at my whim.

Of course if your garage is big enough that the shell isn't under the door when it's open you could just use four chains off the ceiling.
The whole rig should set you back about $30, unless you have a bunch of chain and wood laying around, like me.

It's a good thing for you I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited by Raoul; 04-08-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
I was looking at the space my garage door took up when open.
If my truck was backed in a cap would clear it easily.
Meaning there would be nothing above the cap except ceiling, no door in the way.

The material list would be:
Four open eyebolt screws.
Four open eyebolt w/nuts.
Four pieces of chain cut to length.
Two 2x4s

If I ever get a cap I'll probably do this.
I had a cap on my last truck and had to always get neighbors to help with the on and off.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
You could do something similar but run a single industrial strength cable and run something out to the corners. Then a pully system to lift it off the truck with some guide wires attached to keep it from spinning while it's sitting on the ceiling till fall. I've seen something similar done with dirtbikes.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Not sure about your ARE cap, but my old one fit over the bed rails, not sit on top. That always created a problem when storing becuase I didn't want the weight of the cap being supported by the side lips. Couldn't use the Raoul plan as the rear was a glass, so no support there and the sides aren't designed to hold the weight. I ended up using some 4x4 post and building a frame that was as wide as my bedsides the fit into my old boat. We just slide the ARE off the bedrails onto the frame that was on my boat. Boat is kept under a metal carport in the backyard.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Well, You could construct some tall, wide saw horses. Wider than the truck and taller than the bed. Slide them under the cap and still be able to back under it.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
I figured the 'chains bolted to wood' from the ceiling wouldn't work for everybody.

Ok, so keep the four chains and then, stay with me now,.....giant suction cups.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
I figured the 'chains bolted to wood' from the ceiling wouldn't work for everybody.

Ok, so keep the four chains and then, stay with me now,.....giant suction cups.
You're really into the chains aren't you?

Quick Reply: ARE Cap summer storage