People with law experience, I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People with law experience, I need help!

Well my friend does. She was in a relationship and cosigned for a $27k car. Well the relationship went south and now he stalks her and will not leave her alone. She is going to get a restraining order, but she needs to figure out how to get her name off the car. He has no job and they have been calling her asking for her to pay up. She doesn't even drive the car and never has. Is there any way she can get her name off the cosign. He has threatened to ******* her over if she does anything to him and she really needs help. She is 19 and now her credit is screwed because he messed it up after their relationship issues. What can she do? Should she contact a lawyer and take him to court, then get a restraining order? Thanks guys I'm just trying to help a friend in need

Old 02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Years ago, I co-signed for my girlfriends, new 2002 Chevy Impala, & I loaned her 3K large for the down payment! Yeah, long story, we were living together at the time! Several years later we split up, she told me not to worry & that she would make the payments, & she did for a while, till she got laid off temporarily! GMAC kept sending me late notices Etc........I told her to re-finance this loan in someone else's name ASAP & I would let go the $1800.00 she had still owed me on the downpayment loan I gave her that she was paying to me monthly. Long story short! That was the best $1800.00 loss I ever ate., because she re-financed the loan in her fathers name, & I & my credit was off the hook with GMAC! Creditors only care about the money they loaned you.........nothing else period!.......

Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
she co-signed a contract.

she's liable for any debt on it.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by J-150
she co-signed a contract.

she's liable for any debt on it.
exactly... why do you think you "sign your life away" on documents

i'd suggest she talk to someone who knows a thing or two (lawyer would be a GREAT idea)

Old 02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
You might try doing an auto-refinance. If the guy can't qualify at that point, then sell the car outright and he can be on his own.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
Call the loan company, ask to cancel loan/take back the car.

Also, call a lawyer.
Oh Yeah, that is really smart & take a huge hit on a credit score for years!........

Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Moral of the story -- don't co-sign on a loan just because you're getting a little "honey" from someone. "Honey" can go bad in a big hurry under the proper conditions.......

Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Does not look promising. Only thing I can think of is one of them has to refinance in their name only and it does not sound like the guy would even qualify. With $27k and seven years of bad credit on the line it might be worth contacting a lawyer to be sure.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Dr. Franko
Does not look promising. Only thing I can think of is one of them has to refinance in their name only and it does not sound like the guy would even qualify. With $27k and seven years of bad credit on the line it might be worth contacting a lawyer to be sure.
Lawyer won't be able to do "Jack", but take more of your money.....Once you sign on the dotted line it's all over!........

Quick Reply: People with law experience, I need help!