Researching cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Researching cars

In the next 8 months or so the lease on my 328i is coming up and I have to decide what I want to do. I need a car to commute to work during the week and something that can be road raced on the weekends. The 328i has done amazingly well but I could use a little extra power. I have alot of parts for the 3 series so another one may be wise. My price cap is about 37,000. Some cars I have considered, a Bullitt Mustang, although I worry about the track performance of a solid axle. I have never driven a new Mustang. A Honda Civic Si sedan, great commuter car but I don't know about front wheel drive, or a BMW 135i. That car should be a monster but it is a little small for every day and I hate coupes. Same for the mustang. Or I could just save some money and buy out my lease which is what I will probably do. Any suggestions, cars I have not mentioned etc. would be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Suspended
When you say road raced, what are you talking about? SCCA?

If so, a Mustang is going to need about two grand in suspension mods at least to compete with the smaller cars.

If you're racing SCCA, get a Mini. It's the perfect car.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Not really professional road racing, just track days with a local club. Places like Willow Springs and Laguna Seca. I have about 4000 in Suspension and race wheels and tires for the 3 Series. It is competitive but slightly underpowered. A 335i is slightly out of budget. A 135i is nice but two door and I hate Mini Coopers. I don't know why. Just not my thing although they are fun to drive.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Suspended
Well if that's the case and you're willing to spend some money, I would say Mustang since it'll be below your budget thus meaning a lot of mods !!

PS: Don't get the Bullit though ..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Well if that's the case and you're willing to spend some money, I would say Mustang since it'll be below your budget thus meaning a lot of mods !!

PS: Don't get the Bullit though ..
Even with mods how good is a solid rear axle, also what kind of fuel economy do you get in normal driving. Why not the Bullitt? I love the styling on that car.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Buy out your lease and start modding the engine.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5
Even with mods how good is a solid rear axle, also what kind of fuel economy do you get in normal driving. Why not the Bullitt? I love the styling on that car.
Do you mean for road racing? .. or just is it strong? It's not like the old school straight axle that's for sure. I've read numerous articles about how testers thought they were in for a garbage can with the straight axle but got a surprise out of how well it handled. Not to mention the 8.8 is a pretty stout rear end and can take plenty of abuse.

I get 20.2 mpg with a mix of city/highway driving and that's not by any means driving easy.

I just wouldn't spend the money on the extra little pieces it has but if you like it than I guess that's all that matters. I think they are like $32, I was able to get my 2008 Mustang GT Premium for $26,000 OTD.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Buy out your lease and start modding the engine.
That is probably the route I will go as it is 26,000 to buy out the lease. About the same as a Mustang GT. There is not alot that can be done to this engine though. Most of the aftermarket support goes to the 335i Twin Turbo. There are things I can do though such as software, intake, exhaust etc. The usual stuff.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Do you mean for road racing? .. or just is it strong? It's not like the old school straight axle that's for sure. I've read numerous articles about how testers thought they were in for a garbage can with the straight axle but got a surprise out of how well it handled. Not to mention the 8.8 is a pretty stout rear end and can take plenty of abuse.

I get 20.2 mpg with a mix of city/highway driving and that's not by any means driving easy.

I just wouldn't spend the money on the extra little pieces it has but if you like it than I guess that's all that matters. I think they are like $32, I was able to get my 2008 Mustang GT Premium for $26,000 OTD.
I know the solid rear axle is strong, stronger than an independent suspension for sure. I have also seen Mustangs in the Koni challenge that look pretty impressive and are very competitive as well. I like the car, my biggest concern is going back to a 2 door. I used to have a G35 coupe and it was such a pain to use the backseat. I like the practicality of a four door. Your mileage is better than my G35, I used to get around 19. My 328i gets around 25 mixed driving. About 11mpg on the track though, lol

Old 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5
In the next 8 months or so the lease on my 328i is coming up and I have to decide what I want to do. I need a car to commute to work during the week and something that can be road raced on the weekends. The 328i has done amazingly well but I could use a little extra power. I have alot of parts for the 3 series so another one may be wise. My price cap is about 37,000. Some cars I have considered, a Bullitt Mustang, although I worry about the track performance of a solid axle. I have never driven a new Mustang. A Honda Civic Si sedan, great commuter car but I don't know about front wheel drive, or a BMW 135i. That car should be a monster but it is a little small for every day and I hate coupes. Same for the mustang. Or I could just save some money and buy out my lease which is what I will probably do. Any suggestions, cars I have not mentioned etc. would be appreciated.
What about a 335i, they are pure sex and amazing power for a 6 cylinder. You do not feel the turbo lag at all. You should be able to pick a used on up for about that price range.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Also, you put 315's all the way around the Mustang and you will autox like a *****. Locally the mustangs and trans ams do the quickest times, they have the power to get out, and with 315's underneath them, the corner very well, especially with a little drop in the suspension.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
What about the WRX sedan? It runs in the same class as the 330i and I think the girls come standard.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
What about a 335i, they are pure sex and amazing power for a 6 cylinder. You do not feel the turbo lag at all. You should be able to pick a used on up for about that price range.
I have thought about that too but six speed sedans are a hard find and they are usually loaded with a bunch of crap I don't want. The WRX route is interesting also but only the 04 to 05. The newer ones are ugly.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by Super FX4
For Sale:

Interested...?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Suspended
It's getting annoying isn't it JBMX?

Quick Reply: Researching cars