How to heal a sprained ankle...QUICK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to heal a sprained ankle...QUICK?

Sprained it really good last night...our first rugby game is this Saturday.
Any tips on a quick recovery besides ice, rest, and elevation?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Suspended
Good luck on a quick recovery. I fell down the basement steps with a 50lb bag of softener salt and sprained my ankle. The doctor said I would have been better off if I had broken it. No quick recovery for me. It was about 4 weeks before I could walk half way normal again. Anwho, I wish you a quick and complete recovery.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
you forgot compression...

R I C E - Rest Ice Compression Elevation

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by J Anschutz
you forgot compression...

R I C E - Rest Ice Compression Elevation
Changed for 2008

R I C E - Rest, Immobilize, Cold, Elevation. I just refreshed my first aid last week. They changed a bunch of things (compressions to breaths in CPR, no more jaw thrust etc.)

Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I hate to tell you this but if you indeed sprained it "really good" you need to sit the game out.

In high school I was playing basketball in asphalt driveway where the edge of the driveway was 8"high and had a nice rolled edge. I came in for a layup and came down right on the edge of the rounded driveway and sprained it BAD. I tried to tough it out and walk around the rest of the day. I was rowing crew at the time, had to miss a big race the next day and TO THIS DAY my left ankle is still weaker than my right (albeit much better than 4+years ago). That was 10 years ago!

Moral of the story is a truly bad sprain is nothing to mess around with. Baby that damn thing for a few weeks so you don't have to deal with it for YEARS as I have.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
If it is a sprain, you are definitely out for next Saturday, and probably a few more weeks, possibly two+ months if it is bad. From my experience and what I've seen with others, ankles almost always take a long time to heal. It's very frustrating.

Be careful about rushing your recovery. I tried to do that when I sprained mine (also broke off a few chips from where the ligaments pulled them off the bone). I threw away my crutches as soon as I could (probably two weeks too early) and that damn ankle bothered me for years. Twenty five years later it still pops when I move my foot a certain way. Six months after the injury, I stepped on it funny and was in agony. IMO, if I had not tried to rush the recovery, the long term problems would have been much less.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
were one of those boots that isolates the ankle

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Ai...247/35950.html

my sister had a foot fracture and got one. everyone in my familey has used it when one of the kids got a spained ankle.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
yea, thats what i figured, ill be sitting out of practice the rest of this week, but i dont know it may not be as bad as i think it is.It's not a class 3 (most serious) sprain; you can see a very small amout of swelling, but no blue/black coloring. I think it's between a class 1 and 2.
I rolled it over pretty good and heard it pop 2 times. I went and got an ankle brace this morning and ive iced it down twice already today for 10 minute periods. I can walk ok, just hurts to go up/down stairs.
I think if I baby it, I will be ok for next weeks practices and game. Ive been so lucky playing sports since I was 5 (baseball, football, wrestling, 9 semesters of intramurals, and now rugby) and the most serious injury Ive ever had was a sprained ankle 5 years ago, and now this.
Guess Ill just sit it out this week

Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM
thing about it is, I sprained it by simply walking to where the ball was sitting. I wasnt running, pushing, or anything, i was just walking and chatting with my buddy, and caught a hole just right, and over I went. Crunch

Old 01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
While at home, lay down on the couch with the offending ankle on the back of the couch waaaayy above your heart.

While at work elevate as high as possible every chance you get.

Cold for the the first 48 hours ~20 minutes on/off.

Warm after that.

If its only a little swollen & without bruising you should be good to go on Sat. Absolutely have it taped for the game

Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by cndcowboy
Changed for 2008

R I C E - Rest, Immobilize, Cold, Elevation. I just refreshed my first aid last week. They changed a bunch of things (compressions to breaths in CPR, no more jaw thrust etc.)
I'm a few years removed (10) but it's still the same principal. Thanks for the update.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
"Starkville, MS"!!!

You at State?

I lived in Columbus for 9 years......

Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Stay off the ankle!!! #1 way to help it heal. Then once it has healed fully, you can do exercises to strengthen it. I tore some of my ligaments when I did mine last year. It took a few months to heal back up and then I did exercises to strengthen it. Still gives me trouble sometimes, but it works

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM
yea, this my second semester in grad school @ State. Family lives in Tupelo. I was just over in Columbus last weekend getting some cleets; Im also trying to get a summer job over there at the new steel plant.
You ever go out to the haunted railroad tracks outside of Columbus? We did about a month ago...freaked me out

Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
There's a very slight amount of swelling and no bruising whatsoever...that's what makes me think it's not as bad as I had orignially thought. Ill keep it iced/warmed on and off and try to stay off it as much as possible, and hopefully Ill make the game Saturday.
I know almost nothing about wrapping injuries...whats the best way to wrap an ankle to keep it from rolling.

Quick Reply: How to heal a sprained ankle...QUICK?