F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Why do people strike? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/304268-why-do-people-strike.html)

jamzwayne 10-10-2007 12:59 PM

Why do people strike?

I don't understand it.

Originally Posted by website
Thousands of Chrysler LLC workers across the United States walked off the job Wednesday after negotiators failed to reach agreement ahead of a strike deadline.

The contract talks stalled over issues of job security, health care and wages, sources close to the negotiations told AFP.

I sure would like to know the fine details.... :smoke:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...RcwsGE4TiYrZEw

dzervit 10-10-2007 01:06 PM

'cuz they suck.

scott1981 10-10-2007 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dzervit
'cuz they suck.

And are greedy

last5oh_302 10-10-2007 01:08 PM

Chrysler strike in U.S. would idle plants here

Chrysler's two Canadian assembly plants will be forced to close within days, resulting in more than 9,000 workers laid off, if the UAW follows through on its threat to strike the company in the U.S. today at 11 a.m.

Work at both Windsor Assembly and Brampton Assembly are certain to cease "in a day or two" if negotiations for a new labour contract at Chrysler in the U.S. aren't fruitful by the deadline, the company said Tuesday.

GRIND TO HALT

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...c8b501&k=74763

Stealth 10-10-2007 01:08 PM

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Time for the uneducated union-bashers to chime in.

jamzwayne 10-10-2007 01:12 PM

'cuz they suck.

Best answer I've heard here all damn day.

Sup big D? :wave:

B-Man 10-10-2007 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Time for the uneducated union-bashers to chime in.

Well, please enlighten us...

The UAW is going to drive GM into bankruptcy (ridiculous healthcare requirements, ridiculous retirement benefits, etc.) and Ford and Chrysler are sure to follow.

Once the companies are dead, what will the UAW do for all their members then ?

Stealth 10-10-2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by B-Man
Well, please enlighten us...

The UAW is going to drive GM into bankruptcy (ridiculous healthcare requirements, ridiculous retirement benefits, etc.) and Ford and Chrysler are sure to follow.

Once the companies are dead, what will the UAW do for all their members then ?

I rest my case. No need for comment.

glc 10-10-2007 01:29 PM

All it will accomplish is driving yet more jobs overseas. Hey - union members *AND* management - when will you get it through your thick skulls that it has to be a 2 way street! A HELL of a lot more work gets done when you are in a cooperative arrangement, not an adversarial one!

Stealth 10-10-2007 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by glc
All it will accomplish is driving yet more jobs overseas. Hey - union members *AND* management - when will you get it through your thick skulls that it has to be a 2 way street! A HELL of a lot more work gets done when you are in a cooperative arrangement, not an adversarial one!

More non union jobs have been sent overseas.

It is a 2 way street, that's why it's called a CBA.

Must we have to go through all this again?

dkstone05 10-10-2007 01:41 PM

back at it agian. more than likely it will get brought back up if there is a Ford strike too. It seems like the only pro union people are union members and just about everyone else bashes the union. Did that sum the last thread good enough:lol:

scott1981 10-10-2007 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by dkstone05
back at it agian. more than likely it will get brought back up if there is a Ford strike too. It seems like the only pro union people are union members and just about everyone else bashes the union. Did that sum the last thread good enough:lol:

x2, The ONLY ones in favor are those who benefit directly from it.

newmandl 10-10-2007 01:51 PM

There are hundreds of thousands of corporations in this great country that seam to do well without having a union. Maybe there ‘is’ another way to do it. Just a thought. ;)

jk007 10-10-2007 01:58 PM

Joke

Two guys and a union worker were fishing on a lake one day, when Jesus walked across the water and joined them in the boat. When the three astonished men had settled down enough to speak, the first guy asked humbly, "Jesus, I've suffered from back pain ever since I took shrapnel in the Vietnam war...could you help me?"

"Of course, my son", Jesus said, and when he touched the man's back, he felt relief for the first time in years.

The second man, who wore very thick glasses and had a hard time reading and driving, asked if Jesus could do anything about his eyesight.

Jesus smiled, removed the man's glasses and tossed them in the lake.
When they hit the water, the man's eyes cleared and he could see everything distinctly.

When Jesus turned to heal the union worker, the guy put his hands up and cried defensively, "Don't touch me! I'm on long term disability." :devil:

glc 10-10-2007 02:09 PM

CBA's are hardly a 2 way street - they are adversarial all the way.

I am NOT union bashing - management is every bit as much at fault. However, management's attitude would be a lot different if they didn't have to deal with all the union bullsh1t. The well run companies would prosper, the poorly run ones would die and be replaced by new companies - who would hire the laid off workers from the dead company.

Stealth 10-10-2007 02:15 PM

If management wouldn't continually try to squeeze every red cent from union workers there wouldn't be an adversarial relationship. I mean come on now, if the union workers didn't do their jobs then management wouldn't be able to make their undeserving 7 figure salaries.

newmandl 10-10-2007 02:18 PM

CBA - real meaning = Corrupt Bureaucratic Agreement :devil:

Stealth 10-10-2007 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by newmandl
CBA - real meaning = Corrupt Bureaucratic Agreement :devil:

That figures. The company offers it, no wonder it's corrupt. :lol:

mkosu04 10-10-2007 02:27 PM

If management wouldn't continually try to squeeze every red cent from union workers there wouldn't be an adversarial relationship. I mean come on now, if the union workers didn't do their jobs then management wouldn't be able to make their undeserving 7 figure salaries.

every red cent??? :smoke:

where else can a high-school dropout earn $25/hour or more? Only in the unions can an un-educated person make this kind of money. Not to mention all the voluntary lay-offs and other scams (yes, I called them scams) that the UAW forces on the employers.

The UAW is actively running the Big3 into the ground and then bitching when they start losing jobs.

Edit: Here is where I found the $25/hour... http://www.uaw.org/barg/03/barg02.cfm

Stealth 10-10-2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mkosu04
every red cent??? :smoke:

where else can a high-school dropout earn $25/hour or more? Only in the unions can an un-educated person make this kind of money. Not to mention all the voluntary lay-offs and other scams (yes, I called them scams) that the UAW forces on the employers.

The UAW is actively running the Big3 into the ground and then bitching when they start losing jobs.

Edit: Here is where I found the $25/hour... http://www.uaw.org/barg/03/barg02.cfm

Yep. That's what the companies do, try to take away benefits from the union workers. Happens every contract.

jk007 10-10-2007 02:50 PM

Stealth,

In this thread and in the last one, you mention that the salaries of top level management and executives are over inflated, undeserved and almost go as far to say that a 10 line workers could do the same job if not a better job than a CEO (from a salary comparison). I am just curious as to how you derive at this.

It's not like CEOs or any top level execs are randomly chosen for these positions. You need much more than a HS diploma to do these jobs.

Futhermore, the majority of there total income comes in the form of bonuses and how well the company itself does, which is a direct reflection on how well they perform their jobs.

It sounds to me like you are unhappy with your current compensation and believe me, most people are. But there's no correlation whatsoever with what top level executives do vs. UAW line workers, and to continiously compare the compensation of the 2 positions is ridiculous.

Stealth 10-10-2007 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jk007
Stealth,

In this thread and in the last one, you mention that the salaries of top level management and executives are over inflated, undeserved and almost go as far to say that a 10 line workers could do the same job if not a better job than a CEO (from a salary comparison). I am just curious as to how you derive at this.

It's not like CEOs or any top level execs are randomly chosen for these positions. You need much more than a HS diploma to do these jobs.

Futhermore, the majority of there total income comes in the form of bonuses and how well the company itself does, which is a direct reflection on how well they perform their jobs.

It sounds to me like you are unhappy with your current compensation and believe me, most people are. But there's no correlation whatsoever with what top level executives do vs. UAW line workers, and to continiously compare the compensation of the 2 positions is ridiculous.

I'm fine with my CBA.

What's ridiculous is you saying there is no correlation between the two, they work for the same company.

scott1981 10-10-2007 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jk007
Stealth,

Not that I am directing this at Stealth, but in general I have found those who say they could do the job of managment never have had that position and probably never will. Those who can, do and those who cant, join a union and bitch online:D

jk007 10-10-2007 03:10 PM

Actually, I said there's no correlation between the 2 positions. If I was unclear on that point then I apologize. Of course they are related but only by the fact that they work for the same company.

But you can't tell me that a line worker's responsibilities and a CEO's (or any other Top Level position) responsibilities are similar, or even vaguely have any similarities at all. So I just have a difficult time trying to understand your justification on why Top Level Execs shouldn't be compensated the way they are, or be compensated so much more than someone on the line.

dkstone05 10-10-2007 03:15 PM

My boss is the owner of the company. He makes about 4-5 times the amount I make being the design engineer. I'm prefectly happy with this because he has about 20 times the amount of work on his plate at any given time and has to deal with all of the BS that comes with being and owner/higher management. I would no way in hell want to be in his posistion, I can go to work in the morning get my job done and not have to deal with all of the employees BS and get to go home and not have a worry about work. Much like many of UAW members, they go to work in the morning get their job done and go home and no worries and get quite a bit of loot in return. They have a pretty sweet deal.

mkosu04 10-10-2007 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by scott1981
Not that I am directing this at Stealth, but in general I have found those who say they could do the job of managment never have had that position and probably never will. Those who can, do and those who cant, join a union and bitch online:D

ha... X2 :lol:

Unions are totally pointless in today's society... they are just a way of uneducated people bullying / blackmailing companies into overpaying them. When they were first created, unions were a great thing - they achieved things like safer workplaces and fair pay. Now they are rarely (never?) used for just causes (as judged by society... not as judged by union members).

Retired union members should keep their benefits... since they have already retired.

Current union members... quit bitching... everybody is receiving reduced benefits.

New union members - should be hired at much much lower wages with lower benefits... like all the other un-educated employees.

Quintin 10-10-2007 04:05 PM

I'd like to know from the union members here, why do you need a union, and if you didn't have the union, would you still be doing what you're doing right now?

dzervit 10-10-2007 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jamzwayne
Best answer I've heard here all damn day.

Sup big D? :wave:

Sup Jamzy? :wave:

Was getting into posting and then work got crazy. Now I'm packing up and headed off to drin... er... bowling night. Peace out.

jamzwayne 10-10-2007 04:49 PM

Sup Jamzy? :wave:

Was getting into posting and then work got crazy. Now I'm packing up and headed off to drin... er... bowling night. Peace out.

Bowling....riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Have one for me.

glc 10-10-2007 07:12 PM

Now I'm going to union bash. I get the distinct impression all you want is more money for less work and less responsibility. Prove me wrong, that's a dare. You have no loyalty to your employer and I also get the impression you could care less about doing a good job - all you want to do is get through the day without getting written up and take home a fi****l of cash.

Arctic Cat F7 10-10-2007 08:08 PM

This is why Honda and Toyota will continue to pull ahead. Unions will be the death of the big three. Its sad.

scott1981 10-10-2007 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
This is why Honda and Toyota will continue to pull ahead. Unions will be the death of the big three. Its sad.

.x2

PSS-Mag 10-10-2007 08:34 PM

8 years as a union worker..... (two employers, same union) last 7 years non union employee.
I might be slightly educated on both sides of the fence......
I'd much rather be an employee than a worker..... positives far out weigh the negatives.

I'll never work another union job again......

Enough said.....

Stealth 10-10-2007 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7

Yeah, just like it'll be the death of Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest and best military contractor. :rolleyes:

referee54 10-10-2007 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mkosu04
ha... X2 :lol:

Unions are totally pointless in today's society... they are just a way of uneducated people bullying / blackmailing companies into overpaying them. When they were first created, unions were a great thing - they achieved things like safer workplaces and fair pay. Now they are rarely (never?) used for just causes (as judged by society... not as judged by union members).

Retired union members should keep their benefits... since they have already retired.

Current union members... quit bitching... everybody is receiving reduced benefits.

New union members - should be hired at much much lower wages with lower benefits... like all the other un-educated employees.

I belong to a teachers' union. We came within about 15 minutes of striking about four years ago. We are not uneducated people--about 85% of my collegues, as well as myself, have our M.Ed.'s. I admit that it is different in education here in Ohio---it is a not-for-profit situation: school districts only have so much tax revenue with which to work, so there can be a minimal salary increase.

I does however, through CBA's, give us procedural job protection; if a teacher is poor they can still be removed. However, it does guarantee us as a group of professional educators that we will all be treated procedulary the same---no one can get special treatment---both positively and negatively.

Tim C.

referee54 10-10-2007 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by glc
Now I'm going to union bash. I get the distinct impression all you want is more money for less work and less responsibility. Prove me wrong, that's a dare. You have no loyalty to your employer and I also get the impression you could care less about doing a good job - all you want to do is get through the day without getting written up and take home a fi****l of cash.

More money for less work? You have never been a teacher--who else goes home at night and grades papers---doing work away from my hours in the classroom. Don't give me the crap about working only part of the year. During the summer I have to take classes to keep my license---and I work as well---this helps to make up for what I am not making---as opposed to others inthe business world with the same two types of degrees that I have (BA and Master's).

I dare you to come into my classroom and teach---but first you had better have a darn good (shall I say excellent?) grasp at the subject you will teach, plan lessons that incorporate and build upon the subjects, evaluate not only the students, but the lesson and the techniques used (as well as the educator himself), and grade papers in your spare time.

In fact, I triple-dog dare you!;)

PSS-Mag 10-10-2007 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by referee54
In fact, I triple-dog dare you!;)

Must be a third grade teacher..... :lol:

I work in education too, non union, not an educator, do not have a relative degree, Do make more money, (probably work more hours though, I logged 76 hours last week) but was paid for all of it plus my meals... I still have summers off, all to myself to do what I want, don't have to do continued ed, plus additionally I also get December and January off......

Your union must be great!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Quintin 10-10-2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Quintin
I'd like to know from the union members here, why do you need a union, and if you didn't have the union, would you still be doing what you're doing right now?

Anyone? I don't care whether you're a teacher, an auto assembler, or a fighter jet assembler. Answer me this.

ETA - I can understand teacher's unions, since I was a student at one time and you couldn't pay me enough to put up with a roomful of unruly kids. ;)

referee54 10-10-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Must be a third grade teacher..... :lol:

I work in education too, non union, not an educator, do not have a relative degree, Do make more money, (probably work more hours though, I logged 76 hours last week) but was paid for all of it plus my meals... I still have summers off, all to myself to do what I want, don't have to do continued ed, plus additionally I also get December and January off......

Your union must be great!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Nope English IV, English IV AP, and Contemporary Cinema, as well as Dept. Chair (for which I get paid nothing.)

Stealth 10-10-2007 09:13 PM

http://www.union-organizing.com/edit.html