Why do people strike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If management wouldn't continually try to squeeze every red cent from union workers there wouldn't be an adversarial relationship. I mean come on now, if the union workers didn't do their jobs then management wouldn't be able to make their undeserving 7 figure salaries.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CBA - real meaning = Corrupt Bureaucratic Agreement

Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by newmandl
CBA - real meaning = Corrupt Bureaucratic Agreement
That figures. The company offers it, no wonder it's corrupt.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
If management wouldn't continually try to squeeze every red cent from union workers there wouldn't be an adversarial relationship. I mean come on now, if the union workers didn't do their jobs then management wouldn't be able to make their undeserving 7 figure salaries.
every red cent???

where else can a high-school dropout earn $25/hour or more? Only in the unions can an un-educated person make this kind of money. Not to mention all the voluntary lay-offs and other scams (yes, I called them scams) that the UAW forces on the employers.

The UAW is actively running the Big3 into the ground and then bitching when they start losing jobs.

Edit: Here is where I found the $25/hour... http://www.uaw.org/barg/03/barg02.cfm

Last edited by mkosu04; 10-10-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mkosu04
every red cent???

where else can a high-school dropout earn $25/hour or more? Only in the unions can an un-educated person make this kind of money. Not to mention all the voluntary lay-offs and other scams (yes, I called them scams) that the UAW forces on the employers.

The UAW is actively running the Big3 into the ground and then bitching when they start losing jobs.

Edit: Here is where I found the $25/hour... http://www.uaw.org/barg/03/barg02.cfm
Yep. That's what the companies do, try to take away benefits from the union workers. Happens every contract.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Stealth,

In this thread and in the last one, you mention that the salaries of top level management and executives are over inflated, undeserved and almost go as far to say that a 10 line workers could do the same job if not a better job than a CEO (from a salary comparison). I am just curious as to how you derive at this.

It's not like CEOs or any top level execs are randomly chosen for these positions. You need much more than a HS diploma to do these jobs.

Futhermore, the majority of there total income comes in the form of bonuses and how well the company itself does, which is a direct reflection on how well they perform their jobs.

It sounds to me like you are unhappy with your current compensation and believe me, most people are. But there's no correlation whatsoever with what top level executives do vs. UAW line workers, and to continiously compare the compensation of the 2 positions is ridiculous.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jk007
Stealth,

In this thread and in the last one, you mention that the salaries of top level management and executives are over inflated, undeserved and almost go as far to say that a 10 line workers could do the same job if not a better job than a CEO (from a salary comparison). I am just curious as to how you derive at this.

It's not like CEOs or any top level execs are randomly chosen for these positions. You need much more than a HS diploma to do these jobs.

Futhermore, the majority of there total income comes in the form of bonuses and how well the company itself does, which is a direct reflection on how well they perform their jobs.

It sounds to me like you are unhappy with your current compensation and believe me, most people are. But there's no correlation whatsoever with what top level executives do vs. UAW line workers, and to continiously compare the compensation of the 2 positions is ridiculous.
I'm fine with my CBA.

What's ridiculous is you saying there is no correlation between the two, they work for the same company.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by jk007
Stealth,

Not that I am directing this at Stealth, but in general I have found those who say they could do the job of managment never have had that position and probably never will. Those who can, do and those who cant, join a union and bitch online

Old 10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Actually, I said there's no correlation between the 2 positions. If I was unclear on that point then I apologize. Of course they are related but only by the fact that they work for the same company.

But you can't tell me that a line worker's responsibilities and a CEO's (or any other Top Level position) responsibilities are similar, or even vaguely have any similarities at all. So I just have a difficult time trying to understand your justification on why Top Level Execs shouldn't be compensated the way they are, or be compensated so much more than someone on the line.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
My boss is the owner of the company. He makes about 4-5 times the amount I make being the design engineer. I'm prefectly happy with this because he has about 20 times the amount of work on his plate at any given time and has to deal with all of the BS that comes with being and owner/higher management. I would no way in hell want to be in his posistion, I can go to work in the morning get my job done and not have to deal with all of the employees BS and get to go home and not have a worry about work. Much like many of UAW members, they go to work in the morning get their job done and go home and no worries and get quite a bit of loot in return. They have a pretty sweet deal.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Not that I am directing this at Stealth, but in general I have found those who say they could do the job of managment never have had that position and probably never will. Those who can, do and those who cant, join a union and bitch online
ha... X2

Unions are totally pointless in today's society... they are just a way of uneducated people bullying / blackmailing companies into overpaying them. When they were first created, unions were a great thing - they achieved things like safer workplaces and fair pay. Now they are rarely (never?) used for just causes (as judged by society... not as judged by union members).

Retired union members should keep their benefits... since they have already retired.

Current union members... quit bitching... everybody is receiving reduced benefits.

New union members - should be hired at much much lower wages with lower benefits... like all the other un-educated employees.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to know from the union members here, why do you need a union, and if you didn't have the union, would you still be doing what you're doing right now?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by jamzwayne
Best answer I've heard here all damn day.

Sup big D?
Sup Jamzy?

Was getting into posting and then work got crazy. Now I'm packing up and headed off to drin... er... bowling night. Peace out.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit
Sup Jamzy?

Was getting into posting and then work got crazy. Now I'm packing up and headed off to drin... er... bowling night. Peace out.
Bowling....riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Have one for me.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:12 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Now I'm going to union bash. I get the distinct impression all you want is more money for less work and less responsibility. Prove me wrong, that's a dare. You have no loyalty to your employer and I also get the impression you could care less about doing a good job - all you want to do is get through the day without getting written up and take home a fi****l of cash.

Quick Reply: Why do people strike?