F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Why do people strike? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/304268-why-do-people-strike.html)

PSS-Mag 10-12-2007 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Matt, here's the bird I'm currently working on. The first low rate production test plane STOVL F35 Lightning II. The pic is of the prototype, but you get the picture. I installed the rear main landing gear last week. ;)

http://okigunnji.com/AIR_F-35B_JSF_STOVL_Landing_lg.jpg

Now the lightning joke makes since...... :lol:

Again not an expert but definatly an admirer, and as an admirer... that looks fun!!!!! :rocker:

With those tail flaps (I'm sure thats the wrong lingo) "but you know what I'm talking about". I bet she is agile! Looks like if they barely pulled back, she'd catch enough air to do a complete back flip before you could even breath.

Stealth 10-12-2007 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Now the lightning joke makes since...... :lol:

Again not an expert but definatly an admirer, and as an admirer... that looks fun!!!!! :rocker:

With those tail flaps (I'm sure thats the wrong lingo) "but you know what I'm talking about". I bet she is agile! Looks like if they barely pulled back, she'd catch enough air to do a complete back flip before you could even breath.

Remember, that bird in the pic is flying straight up vertical, from a parked position. Pretty cool.

The test pilot that is flying the CTOL bird says it's the easiest, most stable plane he's flown. I'm proud to build them since I know the pilots who fly them will defend our freedom as Americans.

Later, bedtime, finally. :wave:

PSS-Mag 10-12-2007 04:49 AM

The test pilot that is flying the CTOL bird says it's the easiest, most stable plane he's flown. I'm proud to build them since I know the pilots who fly them will defend our freedom as Americans.

Later, bedtime, finally. :wave:

Part of them anyway, part of them will go to allies and friendlies, they could turn on us! :eek:
Please send the seconds to them. When you knwo it's not for us, then dont report teh problems..... :D

Stealth 10-12-2007 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Part of them anyway, part of them will go to allies and friendlies, they could turn on us! :eek:
Please send the seconds to them. When you knwo it's not for us, then dont report teh problems..... :D

It's OK. We can just hit the switch and they'll fall from the sky. :eek:

PSS-Mag 10-12-2007 04:57 AM

It's OK. We can just hit the switch and they'll fall from the sky. :eek:

:devil: :devil:

Ok I can sleep better now... ohh wait crap look at teh time, we;l maybe I'll sleep tomarow night then......

Been up drinking beer and working on a couple of personal projects all night and just realized I've got to leave for work in an hour and a half. :eek: Not hardly worth trying to sleep now.

PSS-Mag 10-12-2007 05:10 AM

Remember, that bird in the pic is flying straight up vertical, from a parked position. Pretty cool.

Ohh snap... OK... that makes sense now. I was wondering with the debris but thought maybe there was a gust of wind as he was lifting off from a normal take off. I skimmed right over where you said STOVL..... :o

Hopefully it works out better or atleast gets a better rap thean the AV-8B puddle jumper.

f-150sport03 10-12-2007 06:45 AM

I didnt read all the posts, but...

I have found that when people are in a union, they tend to find things to get away with. This is a bit ridculous, because it is training people to be lazy. HOWEVER, ones like the Teachers Union are really good because it gives teachers an advocate and affords lawyers for them-- since they dont make a lot of $$$, when some rich kid's parets sue them for something stupid, the TU can pick up the lawyer bill for the teacher. This is good-- and, the teachers seem to not abuse it (for the most part...)

Unions were great back in the day when they forced working environments to be better. Now, they are just a big group of complainers. To put it into RP's words:

Originally Posted by RockPick
There is nothing wrong with such bondage in air conditioned rooms (and I forgot the rest of the quote)...

Quintin 10-12-2007 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by swank07'
So as a individual, you think you could negotiate a better benefit package for yourself. Better than everyone you work with negotiating with the company together?

Yes, I can, because I know what my skills and abilities are worth to the company. And more importantly, I'm not using myself to speak for someone else who may not deserve better benefits/wages/perks than I do, based on my seniority on the job, my certifications and experience.

Quintin 10-12-2007 08:17 AM

Another hypothetical situation:

Let's say your employer and the union ceased to exist overnight. You came in to go to work, the lights were off, doors were locked, and you're SOL.

Would you be able to take your skill set and find another job at will? Making the same or better wage, with the same or better benefits?

referee54 10-12-2007 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by referee54
In Ohio, we do not have a state-wide pay scale for teachers. It differs from school district to school district. For ecxample, if you consider where I teach, if I was teaching one district to the east, I would be making $5700 more per year; one district to the south, and I would be making $2300 less.

The other hiring practice here in education is that they do not HAVE to give you all of your years of experience. I might be lucky to be hired and givien credit for a max of seven years, instead of my 30 prior to this one.

I could say,"Phooey", and leave, but I probably wouldn't get hired becasue of current hiring practices, or, if I did get hired elsewhere, I would lose around $28,000 (average.) That is a loss that I cannot afford to take.

Tim C.

I could probably get hired somewhere, but I would lose all of my seniority as well as my years of service pay. I have been named a Martha Holden Jennings Scholar as well as winning the John Thomas Teaching Award from Baldwin-Wallace College, but that doesn't mean squat.

Tim C.

screwbuilder 10-12-2007 10:29 AM

Almost no one would...

Originally Posted by Quintin
Another hypothetical situation:

Let's say your employer and the union ceased to exist overnight. You came in to go to work, the lights were off, doors were locked, and you're SOL.

Would you be able to take your skill set and find another job at will? Making the same or better wage, with the same or better benefits?

95% of the working class would not be able to find another job with the same or better wage and benefits. Seniority comes into play in about any job. You make more as you stay with the company longer. Many jobs have no or lower benefits for the first 30-60-90 days. Maybe if you have a specific skill that an employer is specifically looking for, yes. In most cases, not going to happen.

screwbuilder 10-12-2007 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Quintin
I guess I'll go ahead and explain my bias against unions as well. The part that really bothers me about most unions, and I'll get my biggest, broadest brush for this, is that members don't seem to get anywhere on their own merits; they rely on the union to negotiate for them, instead of letting their skills, experience, and qualifications talk for them. There's just something morally wrong about that to me...I was raised to believe that a man's worth what he can put on the table himself. Let his skill, experience, and performance on the job speak for him, not the union.

This might be idealistic, but in every work environment you might be the best worker, most skilled, most experienced but politics and favors come into play and you get passed over for a promotion or a raise. I have seen it happen over and over in other jobs. My wife worked for Sprint a few years ago, had 8 years in. Every year when job reviews and raises came up her department manager said "well, I have $x.xx to hand out for raises and the best way is to give everyone a 3% raise. Is this fair?? Is this what working hard gets you?? There was this lady in my wife's department who would spend 6 hours a day on the phone with her kids, b/f, friends, etc. and she would always get the same wage increase as everyone else in the group. People would complain about her but the department head didn't like conflict so she never did anything. The department head was a friend of someone in upper management and should have never been in that position in the first place. That is where unions do help. In these situations the committeeman can go to upper management for the employees and get something done.

vader716 10-12-2007 01:07 PM

Regarding the comment about being able to negotiate a better salary on my own vs having a union rep do it.

This past year my company did the annual increases. I was pulled into my supervisor's office and he said

"Congrats Vader, you are getting the company maximum of 3%. You are doing great, thanks for all you do. Any questions?"

My response was very straight forward.

"3% is unacceptable. I accepted it last year and explained that this year it will not do."

"But that is the limit ownership set for everyone."

"Well maybe everyone but not me. Should I go directly to them or do you want to handle it. I won't accept less than a 5% increase. I earned it, I am worth it, you know it and I know it."

"Well I will ask them and we'll see but I don't have high hopes."

"Please explain this is non-negotiable. If you are not comfortable bring this to them I will do it myself. Thank you."

Two weeks later my check reflected a 5% increase.

You don't need a union when your skill set, your work ethic and your track record warrant your pay.

My .02.

screwbuilder 10-12-2007 01:17 PM

Just curious....

Originally Posted by vader716
Regarding the comment about being able to negotiate a better salary on my own vs having a union rep do it.

This past year my company did the annual increases. I was pulled into my supervisor's office and he said

"Congrats Vader, you are getting the company maximum of 3%. You are doing great, thanks for all you do. Any questions?"

My response was very straight forward.

"3% is unacceptable. I accepted it last year and explained that this year it will not do."

"But that is the limit ownership set for everyone."

"Well maybe everyone but not me. Should I go directly to them or do you want to handle it. I won't accept less than a 5% increase. I earned it, I am worth it, you know it and I know it."

"Well I will ask them and we'll see but I don't have high hopes."

"Please explain this is non-negotiable. If you are not comfortable bring this to them I will do it myself. Thank you."

Two weeks later my check reflected a 5% increase.

You don't need a union when your skill set, your work ethic and your track record warrant your pay.

My .02.

What do you do when you have 25 years in with this company, things are harder due to competition, the company is talking of outsourcing your job to India, they call you in and tell you they are cutting your pay by 15%, raising your co-pays on benefits, stop matching on your 401K, and ask you to agree to the cutbacks or they will outsource your job??
Can you just quit and find a new job at the same pay and benefits When you are 5 years from retirement and there are many younger people with the same skill sets that are willing to work for much less??

Quintin 10-12-2007 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by screwbuilder
This might be idealistic, but in every work environment you might be the best worker, most skilled, most experienced but politics and favors come into play and you get passed over for a promotion or a raise.

If that happens repeatedly, then it sounds like I don't need to work for that company anyways. I know what I'm capable of, and what I'm worth, if my employer can't meet my requirements even though I'm meeting or exceeding theirs, then it's time to hit the road and start exploring other options.

I'm well aware that politics comes into play behind the scenes, but ultimately, politics doesn't take precedence over performance. Businesses that allow that usually don't keep the doors open for very long, because the customers won't tolerate it.