Updating my tools, what air tools to get?

Old 08-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updating my tools, what air tools to get?

Like the title says, I am buying more tools for my little tool collection. Only this time instead of hand tools I am buying air tools.

Here is a list of what I have so far:
mechanics tools
2-IR 231 1/2" impacts
1-CH air hammer

construction tools
1-Paslode F350s framing gun
2-Bostich coil roofing guns
1-15ga Senco finish gun
2-18ga brad nailers w/ 1 1/4" max nail length (1 Senco, 1 PorterCable)
1-18ga Senco stapler

Here is what I still want to get:
3/8" ratchet, looking at Craftsman, IR, Mac, Snapon
3/8" impact (either butterfly or standard), looking at Craftsman, IR, Mac, Snapon
3" cutoff tool

Do you think of the list? Anything else that I should get or upgrade from what I currently have? Any brands of tools that you would recommend staying away from that I have listed?

Thanks
Paul

Old 08-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tell ya what, my 1/4" air ratchet its the best tool I have. 120ftlbs, it gets the job done for many things.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Out of all the air tools i have, the worst are Mac. When they break, it takes months to get them back and local places that fix tools cant fix Macs because they cant get the parts.

Stick with the other name brands and you'll be ok. BTW, IR makes the sears air tools. Snap-on are great and powerful but for a bit less cash you can get a Bluepoint. CH are worthless in my opinion. people at work have had good luck with home depot brand air tools though and they are relatively cheap.

Other air tools to look at,
Die grinder, straight or angled. this will work as a surface prep tool also.
1/4 air ratchet, good for tight places.
3/4 gun if working on big stuff
1" gun if working on alot of big stuff.
blow gun and accessories.
air drills, 3/8 and/or 1/2. an angle one comes in useful.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:43 PM
If you have access to service from a Mac Tools dealer, they have some of the best air tools available. Many are made by IR for Mac, but are different from Mac in that they are spec'd to higher build standards. The Mac version of the IR composite bodied 3/8" impact gets more use than just about anything in my box when pulling and building a motor.

Mac has a 3/8" and 1/4" air ratchet that nobody else has, with a sealed head. You can put a lot more torque on them when using them and not split the head.

I also love my Mac cutoff tool, with a flex head. Head pivots 45' to allow almost a side cut:

Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 PM
I have the 1/2" IR impact model IR2135TI for a few years now and love it. My 3/8" is an old Snap On and it's holding up well although starting to loose a little of it's torque. I plan on replacing it with one of the new 3/8" Blue Points. Definitely get a straight and/or angled die grinder w/cut-off wheels. Once you have one you wonder how you ever lived without it.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walkin it Dry

]
thats what I have, very nice.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a Snap-on FAR72A 3/8" air ratchet that's a loud, screamingly loud, and stout SOB. It's also not made anymore, replaced by the 72C which is like a $300 air ratchet.

My 3/8" impact is a Mac branded Ingersoll. It's alright, other than the bolts holding the body together loosen up over time - it's as if the gun beats itself apart. About once every six months I remove the bolts, clean up the threads and put a dab of blue loctite on them.

You've already got a 1/2" impact, and a good one at that. I have a Snap-on XT7100 that's been the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Bastard cost $370 and it gets showed up by a $170 Ingersoll Thundergun. I've had my dealer send it back three times, the first two times were because the trigger would stick, and the third time was for a lack of power. Watch for me on Youtube, I'm gonna shoot that sumbitch with a .308, set it on fire with a torch and **** on it.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the input so far!! I was also thinking about getting a die grinder but didn't think that it was going to be something that would get alot of use. After looking at the prices of some today when I went to town I might as will just get one since they are actually pretty cheap.

The 1/2" impacts that I have, I actually bought off Ebay. I paid $110 including shipping for 4 IR 231's. I am keeping 2 of them for myself, my dad is taking 1 as a back-up to his other 231, and the 4th I sold to a buddy. From what I have found out the 231 may not be the lightest or quitest 1/2" gun out there, but they are really stout and very well made.

If anyone else has any advise on either mechanics or construction tools to buy or not, let me hear it!!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
there is a gimmicky tool out there that some people like but i hate and others at work hated enough to trade back in.
Digital vibrating torque wrenches.
You need to keep putting batteries in it, it is hard to hes beep in a noisy shop and i don't like the vibration to tell you when the torque is reached.
I'll stick to my "click" type torque wrenches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Updating my tools, what air tools to get?