Postal worker rant . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Postal worker rant . . .

I had to stop at the post office on the way to work and by the time I got out of there I wanted to . . . go postal . . .
What the hell is up with postal workers? More specifically, those who work at the local post offices.
When they apply for the job, are they given a test to see if they are slow . . . and if they move too fast they don't get the job? I'm guessing the slower they are the more they get paid. I'm also guessing that they all get together before their shifts start and have a qualude party, because honestly, there's no explanation for people moving so slow.
And I.Q. ?!?!?! It's apparent that to get a job at the P.O. you can not have an I.Q. above 20. I'm guessing that the lower the I.Q., the better the chances of getting a job.

-Rant off-

Old 05-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Suspended
Not to mention most of them have the personality of a sea sponge.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Not to mention most of them have the personality of a sea sponge.
Oh yeah . . . I forgot to mention attitude . . . High AH quotient.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Ever take the Postal test? I sucked!!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 AM
I can tell you from experience that LOTS of fired Fedex folks go to USPS. Same for fired UPS from what I've heard. Not to mention that military discharged for various handicaps (mental issues at the top of the list) end up there. Hell, military discharges get points on the test.
They are paid VERY well. Why do you think it's now up to, what? .42? to send one sheet of paper to anywhere, down the street, no promise that it will ever get there.

I do not / will not step into a United States Post Office facility unless there is no alternative.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Just think...
In the near future these are the same people that will be handling your health care

Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by kobiashi
I had to stop at the post office on the way to work and by the time I got out of there I wanted to . . . go postal . . .
What the hell is up with postal workers? More specifically, those who work at the local post offices.
When they apply for the job, are they given a test to see if they are slow . . . and if they move too fast they don't get the job? I'm guessing the slower they are the more they get paid. I'm also guessing that they all get together before their shifts start and have a qualude party, because honestly, there's no explanation for people moving so slow.
And I.Q. ?!?!?! It's apparent that to get a job at the P.O. you can not have an I.Q. above 20. I'm guessing that the lower the I.Q., the better the chances of getting a job.

-Rant off-
umm...I work in the post office and am deeply offended by these comments. You'll be hearing from my attorney shortly!

Duke

Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
Why do you think it's now up to, what? .42?
That would be .41.

41 cents to deliver down the street or from Miami to Anchorage. If you think you can get it there cheaper than that, go for it. How much gas will .41 buy?

I've worked for the PO for nearly 21 years. It's true that we have more than our share of slackers. The Unions make it impossible to fire anyone unless they steal or threaten violence. The problem is that there are no standards that we can hold these employees to. There are some good workers so don't lump all of them together...that'd be like me saying that anyone from California is a hippie ***.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by jcsc
That would be .41.

41 cents to deliver down the street or from Miami to Anchorage. If you think you can get it there cheaper than that, go for it. How much gas will .41 buy?

I've worked for the PO for nearly 21 years. It's true that we have more than our share of slackers. The Unions make it impossible to fire anyone unless they steal or threaten violence. The problem is that there are no standards that we can hold these employees to. There are some good workers so don't lump all of them together...that'd be like me saying that anyone from California is a hippie ***.

I was just going to say, I hope no one from the postal office reads this. The post office I use has very nice employees.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:05 AM
My chik works for the PO. She is a veteran and she did get points toward her test and extra money to boot....well deserved in my opinion ! She comes home with work stories that blow my mind .
I can't rermeber the last time I used the USPS to deliver something.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
umm...I work in the post office and am deeply offended by these comments. You'll be hearing from my attorney shortly!

Duke

Bring it on. This will allow my attorneys to become the USPSs worst PR mightmare ever and hopefully improve service in the post offices.

------

(I do have positive things to say about the USPS, but I am withholding these comments on advice of my attorney.)

Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*sigh*

Cant we all just get along? All these lawyers, and law suits these days are just uncalled for IMO.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 AM
The USPS runs like a well oiled machine compared to Canada Post.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by jcsc
That would be .41.

As I said, I have positive things to say about the post office but do to pending litigation I can not comment.

Seriously though, aside from the fact that local p.o. counter persons set new lows for service, it never fails to amaze me that everything gets to where it's going. When you think of the logistics, it's mind boggling. Anytime I fly and see the vastness of this country and how spread out many of us are . . . and that our mail gets to every one of us 6 times a week . . . or, when in a giant city (mine will do) and you look at how vast the number of people and businesses are . . . and that everyone of those people and places get mail 6 times a week...everyday . . . . that's just frigging awesome. And I'm with you on the 41 cent thing. I don't understand people complaining about 41 cent stamps. When you think of it, it's a bargain. So, as I said, I have positive things to say. So let me amend my rant and say that local post office counter folks (and not just my neighborhood, I've lived all over Los Angeles (an area bigger than most states) and they are all the same here . . . must be a Lost Angeles thing) . . .

Other things . . . you're unionized?!?! Who knew? I thought y'all were some sort of specialized government service with separate but equal status . . . I knew you were not technically a govt. service but had some sort of government affiliation. But Unions?!?! That explains a lot about slackers and attitudes.

And anyone from Cali a hippie *** . . . . let me think about this . . . actually, I'm gonna say that's a pretty good generalization.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by kobiashi
Bring it on. This will allow my attorneys to become the USPSs worst PR mightmare ever and hopefully improve service in the post offices.

------

(I do have positive things to say about the USPS, but I am withholding these comments on advice of my attorney.)
LOL! I hope you realized I was just kidding kobi. I was going on the running joke with jamz regarding the "just sue me" comments. I in no way work for the PO or know anyone that does. All of my "run-ins" with postal workers are right along the same lines as yours.

The #1 worst though was this:

My girlfriend's brother died (at the age of 24) this January and we were sitting in their house on the day of the viewing. It was roughly 9am and his parents just recieved a call from the Insurance company that they were not going to pay out his life insurance policy (great timing huh).

Well over the next hour quite a bit of family arrive and it was obvious by looking at the driveway and road that something was going on at their house.

The post man goes pulls up to the mailbox to deliver the daily mail. He had already left a nasty note the week before that was littered with incorrect spelling and diction, not to mention rude words. He left this letter to express his distaste for the size of their mailbox. Which by the way is the standard small size, not a jumbo like the one at my house (which is in a completely different part of the city). He said they recieved too many letters and larger envelopes and he was tired of having to "fit" them into the mailbox. He demanded through the use of profanity they purchase and install a jumbo size mailbox. Keep in mind during this time they were recieving letters regarding their son who was in home hospice fighting brain cancer.

Well this Post Office delivery gentleman walks up to the front door and throughs a large size envelope at the door and pounds on the door. I walk to the door as the family is crying and talking together. I open the door and he immediately starts shouting about "how many times do I have to tell you about the larger mailbox" and "why the hell do you have so many cars around here, you're making my driving near the mailbox difficult".

I quickly walked outside and shut the door and quietly told him exactly what I thought of his letter and demands. I then also proceeded to inform him of his poor timing and that I would be calling his supervisor in the afternoon.

Needless to say he hasn't been a problem for them since....and that small standard size mailbox remains. I have a inkly to put a minature version that couldn't fit a stamp out there one day at her parents house, just to really **** him off.

Duke

Quick Reply: Postal worker rant . . .