F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Decisions, Decisions, Decisions .... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/279123-decisions-decisions-decisions.html)

kretinus 03-24-2007 03:04 PM

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions ....

I've never bought a new car or truck in my life, I've stuck with good, clean used ones and had no regrets except the occasional pang of envy when something shiny drove by. My plan is to live modestly to retire more comfortably, in other words, save my money for when I have time to really enjoy it.

My wife gave me news Thursday that basically makes that plan moot and uneccessary anymore, so I've been shopping for my first new vehicle, so far I've priced out an '07 F250 SD with the FX4 package and other assorted options at around $50K, I've put a bid on a GT500 at $20K over list and I'm going to look at an Unlimited Rubicon today which would ultimately price out at around $40K with the options I want.

The F250 was orginally what I was going with, but the dealer has the GT sitting in their showroom with the hood open and it's definitely within the upper limit of what I want to spend.

The problem is, and I've had this problem with my 150, the thing is too damn big and unless I simply want to change trail style, the only way it's going to get me where I plan on going is if I ignore every rule of trail driving and simply run over trees. Of course with a twin turbo diesel and a good brush guard I suppose that would be an option, just not a very good one if I want to keep permission to drive the places I do.

So that leaves me leaning to the Rubicon. Quite frankly, it appears to be the bar for off road capabilty, front and rear lockers, disconnect sway bar, 30" fording capabilty, all stock. There's simply nothing on the market like it from what I can tell.

Any thoughts?

89Lariat 03-24-2007 03:28 PM

Well, if you can afford the F-250 why not buy an old Jeep and use it as your trail rig?

Im not a huge fan of then new Jeeps, they have impressive specs stock, but they dont seem to have the same "toughness" of the older ones. Everyone I know that owns a newer Jeep (4) regrets the day they bought it. They go through auto transmissions and brakes like gas.

89Lariat 03-24-2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CrAz3D
welcome to 8 minutes ago :rolleyes:

Oops. I went to reply and then had to leave the office for a bit :lol:

wittom 03-24-2007 03:57 PM

You're not even considering a hybrid?

Odin's Wrath 03-24-2007 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by wittom

:bows:

Invalid_access 03-24-2007 08:35 PM

I've been really looking at the 4 door rubicon myself. Where are you getting 40K at? I wouldn't pay 40k for a wrangler, unless it had the 5.9L diesel in it. The Base price for the thing is like 28,000 dollars. You probably can get a loaded one with mygig navigation and dual tops for 33K. I might try to get one in the fall, but I'm hearing there is a 3 month wait if you order one. Which I plan to do. I'm not in no big hurry. I do like the dana 44 that come standard.:devil:

lrhogfan 03-24-2007 08:44 PM

http://www.hummerxclub.com/events/07...es/phil_01.jpg

henkyjenky 03-24-2007 08:50 PM

What the hell was your wife's news and how do I get my wife to say it?

RED WING NUT 03-24-2007 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by henkyjenky

She hit the Lotto or somebody died.

henkyjenky 03-24-2007 08:56 PM

Crap, hope it's not the latter.

Budha05STX 03-24-2007 08:58 PM

Crap, hope it's not the latter.

He doesn't seem to be broken up over it....he's just ready to blow some cash. :rocker:

lrhogfan 03-24-2007 10:11 PM

Definitely sounds like the "living modestly" got thrown out the window.

kretinus 03-24-2007 11:10 PM

I would have, but I'm buying this vehicle with specific purposes in mind and there isn't a hybrid on the market with any serious off road potential.

Originally Posted by Invalid_access
I've been really looking at the 4 door rubicon myself. Where are you getting 40K at? I wouldn't pay 40k for a wrangler, unless it had the 5.9L diesel in it. The Base price for the thing is like 28,000 dollars. You probably can get a loaded one with mygig navigation and dual tops for 33K. I might try to get one in the fall, but I'm hearing there is a 3 month wait if you order one. Which I plan to do. I'm not in no big hurry. I do like the dana 44 that come standard.:devil:

It's about 30K with options from the factory, and I'm adding about $10K worth of dealer aftermarkey stuff, plus two sets of wheels/tires, one for puttin, one for playin.

My wife's family had a company, they went public years ago and retained controlling interest. A competitor has agreed to buy that company for a figure beginiing with a 9 and followed by a substantial number of zeros.

Personally I own a good number of shares of that company, which I purchased during the peak of the recession for substantially less than a dollar a share. The buyout offer was over $10.00 a share. Suffice it to say the combined effect on our personal net worth requires that we retain a fairly competent attorney to handle our financial affairs.

Originally Posted by Budha05STX
He doesn't seem to be broken up over it....he's just ready to blow some cash. :rocker:

I don't know about blowing, but we'll be upgrading a few things :)

Originally Posted by lrhogfan
Definitely sounds like the "living modestly" got thrown out the window.

Please note, I stated living modestly was to reach the goal of living comfortably in our retirement. As it stands, my wife and I both planned to retire at 55 and travel the country.I'm thinking 5 years tops now.

Considering what I could buy, I'd say a Rubi is fairly modest in comparison. Other than a few upgrades to the house we already own, no big plans.

lrhogfan 03-24-2007 11:14 PM

Hey, you just accomplished your goal of retiring comfortably it sounds like. I just hope to be in your position someday. Maybe some intelligent investments and I too will be posting about my good fortune. Congrats on a job well done.

vader716 03-24-2007 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by kretinus
My wife's family had a company, they went public years ago and retained controlling interest. A competitor has agreed to buy that company for a figure beginiing with a 9 and followed by a substantial number of zeros.

Personally I own a good number of shares of that company, which I purchased during the peak of the recession for substantially less than a dollar a share. The buyout offer was over $10.00 a share. Suffice it to say the combined effect on our personal net worth requires that we retain a fairly competent attorney to handle our financial affairs.

Congrats on your good fortune. :beers:

Enjoy it but don't let it consume you.

kretinus 03-24-2007 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by vader716
Congrats on your good fortune. :beers:

Enjoy it but don't let it consume you.

Yeah, talk about a test ...

kretinus 03-24-2007 11:33 PM

Hey, you just accomplished your goal of retiring comfortably it sounds like. I just hope to be in your position someday. Maybe some intelligent investments and I too will be posting about my good fortune. Congrats on a job well done.

Here's a hint, you shouldn't have any plastic cards in your wallet except for an insurance card and a drivers license :)

By the way, I was leaning toward the red paint but then I saw the burgundy, man it looks sweet.

PHS79 03-24-2007 11:53 PM

First off congrats! Second, what is the company that your wifes family had? If you don't mind em asking.

kretinus 03-25-2007 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by PHS79
First off congrats! Second, what is the company that your wifes family had? If you don't mind em asking.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't really feel all that comfortable with a public disclosure at this point.

PHS79 03-25-2007 12:03 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't really feel all that comfortable with a public disclosure at this point.

Thats perfectly fine :thumbsup:

wittom 03-25-2007 09:42 AM

Oh. I was under the impression that the economy had tanked because of Bush. I guess not.

So, corporate America isn't a bad thing? I'm confused.:confused:

Tax the rich, right?

kretinus 03-25-2007 10:08 AM

Oh. I was under the impression that the economy had tanked because of Bush. I guess not.

So, corporate America isn't a bad thing? I'm confused.:confused:

Tax the rich, right?

You really are just a bit of a joke aren't ya wittless.

ddellwo 03-25-2007 11:32 AM

Other than a few upgrades to the house we already own, no big plans.

That's funny -- I could have sworn I overheard your wife chatting with her friend in the supermarket aisle yesterday about making a substantial upgrade in the husband department.....???

:devil:

Odin's Wrath 03-25-2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ddellwo
That's funny -- I could have sworn I overheard your wife chatting with her friend in the supermarket aisle yesterday about making a substantial upgrade in the husband department.....???

:bows:

Invalid_access 03-25-2007 11:59 AM

Here's a hint, you shouldn't have any plastic cards in your wallet except for an insurance card and a drivers license :)

By the way, I was leaning toward the red paint but then I saw the burgundy, man it looks sweet.

I'm kinda leaning toward white or silver, because it doesn't show dirt as bad. I'm guessing your not gonna finance. :devil: What size tires are you gonna put on it?

kretinus 03-25-2007 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ddellwo

Who cares, I'm getting a Rubi :D

Super FX4 03-25-2007 03:20 PM

I have driven the new rubicon, 2 door and 4 door. I must say they are not road vehicles at all.... they are dogs, 0-60 in like the 9-10 second range and they ride soooo stiff on the road. i did like the interior and the looks of it though.... why did they throw the minivan motor in it!!!

kretinus 03-25-2007 03:33 PM

Peterson's named it the 07 4X4 of the year.

Good enough for me.

lrhogfan 03-25-2007 03:45 PM

4 door or 2 door? We want to see pictures when you get it.

kretinus 03-25-2007 03:48 PM

4 door or 2 door? We want to see pictures when you get it.

Going with the 4 door so there's room for the Bob & Daisy show, plus I think we're going to adopt a kid or two and see if we can't screw up them up worse than the first one :)

kretinus 05-10-2007 05:29 PM

Wooo Hoooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got confirmation from my dealer today, my 2007 Unlimited Rubicon is officially in D status and has an actual VIN !!!!!

Delivery expected 2nd week of June.

On a very bright note, my sales guy turned me on to a private off road club with a very respectable park to play in:

www.miobi.org

I don't believe I have ever looked forward to summer this much since i was in grade waiting for summer break.

On a sad note, my wife bought an Equinox.

I've already found out it has no off road potential at all but hey, I don't have to drive it.

But it is kinda fun to rip around the backroads, the traction control is pretty cool.

kretinus 05-10-2007 06:40 PM

sweet!

How tall are you gonna lift it? What are the specs on the winch you're gonna get? What tires? Electronic lockers all around or just the rear?

For now we're leaving it stock, my wife made that stipulation when she saw some of the modded Jeeps on MIOBI's website, she said I could do whatever I wanted to it after the warranties up though. Yeah I know, I'm whipped but then she's buying me a Rubicon, compromise isn't all that painful.

That being said, Rubi's come stock with 32" BFG mudders and lockers front and rear.

The dealer is trying to figure out how to email me the sticker but this is what I ended up ordering.

Towing Capacity As Configured: 3500 lbs.
Main Paints: Black Clear Coat Included
Roofs: Black Soft Top Included
Trims: Dark Slate Gray/Medium Slate Gray Included
Engines: 3.8-Liter V6 SMPI Engine Included
Transfer Cases: 4:1 Rock-Trac® Part-Time 4WD System Included
Axles - Rear: Next Generation Dana 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle Included
Axles - Front: Next Generation Dana 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle Included
Axles - Gear Ratios: 4.10 Axle Ratio Included
Transmissions: 6-Speed Manual Transmission Included
Seats: Premium Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats Included
Tires: 32" BFGoodrich Mud Terrain Tires Included
Wheels: 17" Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels Included
Load and Towing Groups: Trailer Tow Group $220
Speaker Systems: 368W 7-Spkr Infinity® Sound Sys Incl Subwoofer Included
Sound Systems: AM/FM Stereo Radio w/In-Dash CD Plyr/MP3 Capability Included
Convenience/Security Options: Supplemental Front Seat Side Air Bags
Climate Control Options: Air Conditioning Included
Convenience/Security Groups: Power Convenience Group
Additional Options: Dual Top Group
Additional Options: Smoker's Group
Additional Options: Front and Rear Floor Mats
Additional Options: Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
Additional Options: Engine Block Heater
Additional Options: Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect Included
Additional Options: Locking Fuel Filler Cap
Net Price: $33,025

I was going to order it with the My Gig but apparently that sends your order into limbo land.

I have a Garmin, I can live with it.

Man I can't wait.

We're also doubling our garage space with an addition, and my faithful F150 will have a nice car port to rest under, we're keeping it at least until all the remodeling and such is done.

wittom 05-10-2007 07:03 PM

Towing Capacity.......
gluttony......;)
additional excesses.......:D

Net Price: $33,025

What kind of fuel economy does that thing get? That is important, isn't it? You are aware the planet has a fever, aren't you?

Enjoy. I would if it were me.

kretinus 05-10-2007 07:49 PM

What kind of fuel economy does that thing get? That is important, isn't it? You are aware the planet has a fever, aren't you?

Enjoy. I would if it were me.

Now see Witty, you keep playing that angle and trying to rain on my pancakes but it doesn't wash.

The 07 Unlimited Rubicon in fact get's better mileage than my '95 F150 and has much better emissions. :)

And I assure you, I will enjoy it. I get a $100 dollar gas card in the deal :)

Of course the way it's going that might only get me a half a tank by the time it's delivered.:eek:

Contrary to what you might think, I'm not a tree hugger, I just give them a friendly pat now and then.

kretinus 05-10-2007 07:54 PM

BFG Tires?...odd. That an option of some sort?
Every Rubicon I've ever seen has Goodyear MT/Rs (I love my/these tires)

Nope, BFGs.

They'll do for now until I get used to driving the thing, I plan on hitting the MOIBI park quite a bit for practice.

With names like Butt Crack and Oh **** Hill, it's gotta be fun.

I also plan on the hitting the Iron Range park in Minny.

I gotta admit though, the dealer (Stew hansen in Des Moines) had a 4 door Sahara with a 4" lift and 35" mudders they did for some guy, looked mighty sweet.

The engines aren't powerhouses though, I don't know what effect that would have on performance for daily driving, that's a lot of mass to move.

kretinus 06-14-2007 08:47 PM

So anyway, as my luck seems to go at times, about the 25th, I call Jeep to get a status update, to find out that it went back to D. Meaning it exists only on paper and a few thousand parts scaterred around apparently. No delivery date, nothin.

WTF ?

Then it get's better, other people who were waiting on their orders in the same status started seeing their orders "converted" to 08s, started to panic a bit.

But the dealer called me yesterday, they changed it back to D1 with a delivery date of July 6th, we have reservations for a motel near the Badlands on July 12th for the start of a 4 day shakedown run prior to heading out west.

On a lighter note, we're going to be starting a small business, the '96 F150 is sticking around to haul a stand up skid loader and tandem with a few handy attachments until we get incorporated, then we'll be shopping for a used HD diesel.

And whilst I was in a panic about my Rubi, got a bug up it and spent a few days looking at options.

Test drove:

FJ Cruiser - cute, rides like small pick up and gets buffeted in the wind like a full size one. And it just felt really cramped. Plus it's a true ricer, imported from Japan.

2007 Ranger extended cab with FX4 Level II and a very loud stereo. I liked it, it had potential, but the top don't come off without a sawzall

1999 SVT Cobra convertible - Man was that thing red. Man was that thing fast. Man would that be the perfect vehicle for a 44 year old white male who hasn't had his mid life crisis yet and the top comes down. Man did the wife sooooo shoot that one down:p

2001 Lightning - Man was that thing red ...:mad:

2000 Boxster - It's a Porsche, what the hell do you think my wife said ....

06darkstone 06-14-2007 09:46 PM

Suffice it to say the combined effect on our personal net worth requires that we retain a fairly competent attorney to handle our financial affairs.

May I suggest shopping for a CFP instead of a lawyer. A good CFP will set you up a good financial plan and have relationships with good estate planning attorneys

kretinus 06-14-2007 10:10 PM

Actually we just need a lawyer to file papers and to handle the settlement of our debts, there are no tax issues as to the initial gift.

After that we blow a little, invest some in the business start up, do a bit of remodeling, dump a big chunk into an timber acreage along the river for a our personal family playground, with the property tax offset by CRP payments, and the rest we just dump into bonds.

kretinus 06-15-2007 12:56 AM

whoop tshhhh, whipped

Yep and drivin a new Rubi down Badlands Loop :thumbsup:

And keeping my license ... ;)

kretinus 07-08-2007 11:11 PM

July 6th rolls around, no update from Jeep, this is getting ridiculous, the only good news is it has to be rolling soon, it has an 07 VIN, and I passed the deadline to convert to an 08.

Not a big woof yet, merger done, cash will be in hand no later than the 23rd, put a deposit on a camper and canceled all hotel reservations, seems the Badlands has a bit of wheelin territory to explore.