Traffic Flow Expert

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic Flow Expert

Anyone else here consider themself a traffic flow expert?

Here's what I mean. When driving in traffic, typically a highway, I am constantly analyzing the traffic flow. I'm aware, in great detail, what's going on with traffic on my route. I monitor closely which lane(s) are moving faster than others, when they are moving faster, how many cars are switching between lanes etc.

When it comes to my drive to and from work; I travel down a two lane highway (two lanes per side). I know exactly when I need to be in the left lane and when to be in the right line to ensure the fastest commute. This works 75% of the time, and when it comes to the other 25%, I'm still paying attention so I can change my habits.

I'm willing to bet I'm consistantly making the commute in the top 5% timewise. I'm constantly shocking myself when I look at the clock and realize how far I've made it, during rush hour, in a matter of 10-15 minutes.

So as my initial question asked; Does anyone else pay this much attention to the traffic around them?

Oh one more thing. This works a lot easier when I'm driving my Civic compared to my truck. With the Civic it is a LOT easier to move back and forth between lanes.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Absolutly. that is the only safe way to drive. I am constanly aware of what others are doing all around me, and well in fromnt of me. I also keep a scan of the sides of the highway as far as I can see. This saves on tickets. BTW, in Texas, that is a 4 lane highway.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by UrbanCowboy
... I know exactly when I need to be in the left lane and when to be in the right line to ensure the fastest commute...
Yep absolutely, that's me.
You'd be shocked as to how many accidents I've seen in my rearview mirror.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Yep absolutely, that's me.
You'd be shocked as to how many accidents I've seen in my rearview mirror.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
UC, I've actually found the opposite to be true regarding driving the truck vs. the sedan. My commute home involves merging from on onramp into fairly congested traffic. I've had asshats and asshatettes make an effort to NOT let me in when I'm in the Stratus. This happens on a fairly regular basis in the car.

On the otherhand I actually get room made for me while in the truck. It's like they are afraid of playing roullete with a 6000 lb truck. It's a night and day different driving experience in the rush hour traffic.

As far as my lane choice, I've driven the same stretch enough to know what lane provides the best flow at any given point. I won't switch back and forth numerous times, but I will switch 1,2, or 3 times based on that.

This of course assumes no accidents, where then everylane is royally fooked.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Suspended
When I used to commute I did the same thing. I found the "magic" spots where one lane would almost always come to a halt, and the other would take off etc, and change accordingly.

but like you mentioned, you can't be right everytime. You get burned about 1 in 4 times...but for the most part it pays off big time. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to analyze traffic on that level haha

Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Totally agree. I go to the extent of making u-turns to do a quick right rather than waiting in a long line for a left-hand turn.

Here we have three lane highways and it amazes me how many people sit in the far left lane because they think it's the fast lane, when the right lane is the qucikest. Maybe they just don't realize, Or have no motivation to get where they are going.

I carpool most of the time so that makes it a no brainer, only on lane I want to be in.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
absolutley...I'm always antincipating what my next move is going to be...I don't just get in a lane and cruise...and I'm VERY aware of what everyone else around me is doing.

Unless of course I'm talking on my cell phone.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Drivin in philly heavy city traffic is fun with a truck. People that would carpool with me that normally drive cars were amazed how other drivers just move out of the way when a fugly lookin '88 beater bronco is comin through. Also I noticed the reverse when ridin in a car, and didn't like it....

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I pay attention to what is going on around me, however where I am there is maybe one to two "traffic jams" per year. Unless the train is coming through.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Anyone else here consider themself a traffic flow expert?
Yep. Learn where the idiots are. The speeders, the reckless drivers, and unfortunately the areas that are more prone to wrecks. It's all part of the job. Good to know that some good folks are not driving with the cell phone plugged in their ear, or putting on makeup. Bumper to bumper traffic at 65 mph and some guy is reading the paper.

Thanks UC.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by UrbanCowboy
. . . I am constantly analyzing the traffic flow. I'm aware, in great detail, what's going on with traffic on my route. I monitor closely which lane(s) are moving faster than others, when they are moving faster, how many cars are switching between lanes etc.

blah, blah, blah . . .

So as my initial question asked; Does anyone else pay this much attention to the traffic around them?

Old 08-23-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Actually I believe I do have mild OCD

Old 08-24-2006, 12:19 AM
I try to pay attention to traffic.

Has anyone else noticed how often people like to run red lights, stop signs, or pull out in front of you while your driving down the road to make you slam on your brakes rather than wait 2 more seconds and pull out behind you????

Quick Reply: Traffic Flow Expert