Windows xp question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows xp question..

I removed Mcafee virus programs, and installed a new non Mcafee virus program, Now Why dose windows have to turn off, whem you remove a program, and turn off when when you install a new program?

Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In short and generally, I think it's a fault/conflict protection.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Programs like virus scanners run in memory - to cleanly remove them, it is easier and safer to reboot the machine...

Old 08-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I believe they also perform tasks when shuting down and starting up that can only be done when other services are not running.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Correct, only programs running in memory need reboot to clear out.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Suspended
question, Than what windows programs don't need memory? I would asume all windows programs need a porportion of memory to run on.
Do autoex files need memory to boot up, or are they pretty much set?

My celeron 2.8 got do be dog *** slow of late, even with 512 megs of ram and a high speed dsl internet conection, painfuly slow, and ya I know the cpu is not a rocket ship.

I got rid of Mcafee, cleaned up a lot of spy ware, cleaned up the Hard drives, and installed a wirless router, I suspect some one with a lap top has been piggy backing on my cable conection.

Now my system is a lot faster, and I learned a long time ago never to touch DLL files, or Kernell files..

I bought a program called system mechanic 6 professional and I allways turn off the cable modem when I'm not home and the coumputer is pass word protected, I change it every few days...

Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
question, Than what windows programs don't need memory? I would asume all windows programs need a porportion of memory to run on.
Do autoex files need memory to boot up, or are they pretty much set?

My celeron 2.8 got do be dog *** slow of late, even with 512 megs of ram and a high speed dsl internet conection, painfuly slow, and ya I know the cpu is not a rocket ship.

I got rid of Mcafee, cleaned up a lot of spy ware, cleaned up the Hard drives, and installed a wirless router, I suspect some one with a lap top has been piggy backing on my cable conection.

Now my system is a lot faster, and I learned a long time ago never to touch DLL files, or Kernell files..

I bought a program called system mechanic 6 professional and I allways turn off the cable modem when I'm not home and the coumputer is pass word protected, I change it every few days...
wow... your committed!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Is your Wi-Fi encypted?

Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Suspended
WI FI ???

I don't have a Fire wall set up on the coumputer yet, ( the XP one is on ) Sytem 6 has one to ( not set up yet ) the wirelss router has one that came with it.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most AV progs usually run as a service (special kind of program). They load files at boot that run all the time. You can't delete a file that is in use, so you have to restart your computer to stop using the file. On the next boot-up, the files that were in use are deleted. Keep in mind that these aren't normal files... they just can't be started & stopped like your word processor.

When you install a new service, it doesn't "have" to require a reboot. But, since AV progs like to load into "clean" memory then scan any additional program that tries to run, they make you reboot after the install.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
WI FI ???

I don't have a Fire wall set up on the coumputer yet, ( the XP one is on ) Sytem 6 has one to ( not set up yet ) the wirelss router has one that came with it.

no no... hes asking if your wireless network is encrypted?

Old 08-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Its very important to encrypt your wireless traffic. That way people cannot piggyback into your network. Here is the first article that Google brought up on the subject, it looks like it covers all the basics. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

If you live in an apartment complex, have very close neighbors, or think someone with a laptop maybe stealing your signal, then encrypting your wireless signal ranks very high on the security scale. You'll leave a hole open that could allow them to browse your files, or even more scary, utilize your connection to do illegal activities on the internet.

Not trying to fear monger, just trying to stress the importance.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Did you dump the prefetch folder?

Start/run
type Prefetch

delete everything in that folder, then enjoy having your old speedy computer back.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Did you dump the prefetch folder?

Start/run
type Prefetch

delete everything in that folder, then enjoy having your old speedy computer back.
what is tlocated in the "prefetch" folder used for. should this be deleted periodically?

Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Smeezy 05 Screw
what is tlocated in the "prefetch" folder used for. should this be deleted periodically?

That is copies of programs start ups that windows has put there to gain faster access to for the next time you open the program again. The problem is that it gets full and it takes longer for windows to search this folder to see if the program is stored in prefetch than it is to actually open the program from the programs own folder.

I dump mine every couple of weeks, or if it seems slow or sluggish then thats the first place I go.

Quick Reply: Windows xp question..