Who’d athunk it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who’d athunk it?

I started driving in 1964 so I have seen more than my share (and have owned some of them) of what would be considered to be “hot” rides by most of us.

Many of us who were that age applied whatever tricks we could get away with to the family car, then when we got our cars we would buy all the latest from Holley, Edelbrock, Crane, Crower, Headman (they spelled them hedders), Accel, Koni, Mulholland, and SO many others. I remember spending HOURS looking at catalogs from Honest Charlie's Speed Shop (also, remember Parts Pups???).

As fast as we thought those cars were (at least in a straight line) who would have ever dreamed back then that a 4,000-5,000 lb. pickemup truck would post better ¼ mile times, and often even handle better than those muscle cars we all remember so fondly.

I just LOVE technology.

I hate to pay the current price for a gallon of gas, but I also remember being told that we would be totally out of fossil fuels, gas and oil by the year 2,000 AD.

Boy! Back then the year 2,000 seemed to be SO far away…

If we had just known what car to buy new and store until now we could be set for life…

I still miss my 1962 Corvette fuelie , my 1966 Corvette (big block) conv. , and my 1967 Mustang GTA convertible…

Sigh!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're showing your age old man...

My dad was from the same era, so I grew up learning about all the things you mentioned. I long for those days, too. Guess that makes me a throwback...

We had a '69 Chevelle, 396 (325 hp version), auto, 2.72 gears, A/C, power steering, all in all a family car from back then. It still ran high 13's...

I had a tubbed out '67 Chevelle with a 502 Keith Black built motor that ran a best of 11.97 @ 130, and I never popped that 150 shot of NOS that was on it. It didn't have a roll cage, we didn't think we'd break 10's, but if I hit the NOS, it would have. Sold it when I got married. What a dumba$$ I am...

We also had a '67 RS SS Camaro, 44,000 original miles, original paint, everything except the motor. We built a over the counter replacement 396 (375hp).

Man, those were the days...

Quick Reply: Who’d athunk it?