Computer help if you can!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Computer help if you can!

I have a Dell 8400

I have way to many things running at one time when I am on the Computer, it takes forever to even start it up in the mornings due to everything it loads up that I do not need to have running at the very same time.

How do I go to this screen that I have a choice what I do not want running all the time on this computer??

I was on it one time before, but I forgot how to get there. Do you guys know?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
start; run
type "msconfig", click on the startup tab
then go to http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php if you don't know what its used for.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tical84
start; run
type "msconfig", click on the startup tab
then go to http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php if you don't know what its used for.

You are the man!!!

Thank you so much!

Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 AM
There's also a program called Startup Cop; I think you can download it free from PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com). It gives you lots of control over what loads when you boot.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Or, you can unload them when they appear as an icon in the toolbar and leave the computer running??

I leave mine on 24/7 and turn off the monitor. Takes all of 2 seconds to get up and running anytime I need to use the computer.

I have computers in my office that have been running 24/7/365 for over 8 years now!

Since I don't need to use a hair dryer anymore, the extra electricity I'm saving is just going to the computer!!

Check the "Startup" folder from Start - Programs. You can stop some from there as well.

There are some registry edits you can do, but that's a bit more advanced, so stick with the msconfig and the Startup folder and that'll get rid of a lot of those stupid programs that get pre installed... I know, I have a Dell as well.... Great computer, just came with a lot of crap!

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: Computer help if you can!