Had an accident...Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Had an accident...Insurance question

A lady stopped at a stop sign, then went on without looking both ways. Unfortunately, I was driving past her. Her front bumper collided with my rear tire and wheel. It was a fairly low impact collision with not much damage to either car. The only damage to my truck was a blown out tire and a scuffed wheel. The police showed up and made an accident report. She was ticketed for failure to yield and for driving without insurance. I have full coverage insurance with State Farm, with $500 deductible. I'd like to get a new tire and have my alignment and frame checked out. My agent told me that since the other driver was uninsured, that my options are limited. I would have to file a claim on my policy and pay the $500 deductible myself. The damage to my truck was estimated at $300. Am I being screwed? What good is having uninsured motorist coverage if it doesn't even help? Has this happened to anyone else?

Dave

Old 05-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Sorry pal; but Insurance is intended for major accidents; that's just how it goes. Don't file a claim and eat the cost.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spitfire
A lady stopped at a stop sign, then went on without looking both ways. Unfortunately, I was driving past her. Her front bumper collided with my rear tire and wheel. It was a fairly low impact collision with not much damage to either car. The only damage to my truck was a blown out tire and a scuffed wheel. The police showed up and made an accident report. She was ticketed for failure to yield and for driving without insurance. I have full coverage insurance with State Farm, with $500 deductible. I'd like to get a new tire and have my alignment and frame checked out. My agent told me that since the other driver was uninsured, that my options are limited. I would have to file a claim on my policy and pay the $500 deductible myself. The damage to my truck was estimated at $300. Am I being screwed? What good is having uninsured motorist coverage if it doesn't even help? Has this happened to anyone else?

Dave
Unfortunately, that is what happens with uninsured motorists. Check with your state, as laws are different between states. In MD, I believe they would pay the whole thing, but you have to prove the other driver is uninsured. Also in MD, there is a fund for uninsured motorists. Bets is to check your states laws.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 AM
The damage estimate I assume was given by the police. A scuffed wheel is around 300 by itself, not to mention labor looking into everything else. A FX4 rim for a 2002 F150 cost me $285 at the dealership. I'd take your truck to a dealership that has a body shop and see what they estimate it as. I had an estimate done on mine by some other body shop and they didn't include a new rim since they couldn't order it themselves.

Long story short, I'd pay the $500 and get everything done.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why they sell Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist coverage. Depending on where you live and how many non insured driver are there, it's either very cheap or very expensive (New Orleans).
So, I'd suggest you cough up the U$300, document everything and then file in small claims court to recover damages and inconvenience.
Good luck.

Fritz

Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Dont file a claim

Fix it yourself and then sue her in small claims court.

Keep all the receipts and police report....its a no brainer in small claims court

Oops....Fritz beat me to it

Old 05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
At least you have the ?satisfaction? of knowing who the culprit was that hit you.

I, on the other hand, was in the store and when I came out, some BASTARD!!!!!
had run into my driver's door. AGAIN!!!

This is the 2nd time in as many months. From now on, the wife does the shopping and I hide behind some cars and wait for a culprit to try it agin.
Needless to say, I am really PO'ed

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Contact her and hand her the bill. It's the law to carry insurance. Get a copy of the police report and show up when she goes to court. Hand the prosecutor the bill, so he can give it to the judge!

Quick Reply: Had an accident...Insurance question