Help with an HDTV.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SnowmaNick
Ok, couple quick things to make sure of. Frst, do you have the sat box set up to pout out thee right signal? I am running cable, but I have to elect if I want 1080i, 720P, 480P or 480i and the default is of course 480i. Second, make sure that your TV is set up to recieve said signal. Third, check to see if your componet outputs are set via a dip switch on the back panel. I've seen this once on a cable box and even if you set the menu to send progressive out it would be overiden by the manual selector switch. Also, make sure all of your cables are snuggly on, if any are loose it can introduce interferance on the signal path. Also, you said it is a new satelite dish, is it calibrated for the best signal to the satelite, no branches, etc.?

Another easy way to test the tv is the process of elimination. I have an upconverting DVD player, and DVD's look great. So, if you have this problem on every input, you can look at other places.

Are you connecting the system straight to the TV or through a switch or receiver? Some older component switching devices and receivers didn't have the necesary bandwith for HD signals.

Sorry such a long reply and I know most of these are simple items and covered in most trouble shooting sections of manuals, but 99% of the time it is something simple. Good luck.
OK, the box is putting out the right signal, but I will deff. double check that. The TV has a dedicated input for each cable type, so since I have it hooked up with the component cables right now, I have to select the component input on the TV or else I get no picture at all. I am hooked direct from the box to the TV.The new dish was installed by the Direct TV guy and set up with the best possible signal. I think my signal strenght is like 96% ( if I remember right ) but like I said, the other 2 TV's in the house still work fine and the picture is great. I have a 27" Pioneer and a 50" Toshiba.

D' I just switched the same show from HD to SD. There is deff a huge difference, but in HD it still seems to have a slight haze to it.

Am I being to picky here? I mean the picture in SD really really sucks...Will I ever be happy with an LCD? DO I just need to get a differnet one or should I go Plasma or what???

BREW

Old 05-15-2006, 10:58 PM
SnowmaNick
Brew,

Double check that the component inputs on the tv are set up for progressive signals. Another trouble shooter would be to take the 27" and try it on the line that is feeding the LCD. LCD's should be very sharp, especially in HD. They have differances from plasma's, but a lot of people prefer them to plasma's.

If all of these check out and you aren't happy with the tv, return it. Something that costs that much shouldn't remind you that you don't like it every time you turn it on.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 AM
Better check the manuals, because there ain't no way you can get HD over Component cables, on anything this new.

The original HD was over component, but the current delivery is DVI or HDMI....with HDMI being the latest, and final format.

The best you can get over component is 480P.

Also........signal strength has nothing to do with picture quality.

You have DirecTv Digital Service. The picture is either 100%, or it's not there at all.

Last edited by Kool Aid; 05-16-2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:48 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using any stretch/fill modes to take a 4:3 image and scale it to fill a 16:9 screen? Turn that off! Deal with the black/gray bars on the sides.

Which LCD did you buy? What's the native resolution? Good LCD's are good at displaying video at native resoultion, but usually has problems scaling any other size to it's exact pixel configuration. LCD's have specific grid size and each pixel can either be on or off unlike CRT that can change the actual # of pixels displayed. If you have a 720p LCd and are watching 480i (SD) or 1080i, neither will look as good as they could on other TV's.

Also, crappy LCD's look crappy regardless of the original feed.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
Better check the manuals, because there ain't no way you can get HD over Component cables, on anything this new.
WRONG!!! That's funny stuff. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are talking about COMPOSITE cables. You can't get HD over COMPOSITE. Component you can, and will be able to for a very long time.

The original HD was over component, but the current delivery is DVI or HDMI....with HDMI being the latest, and final format.
I'll bet you my next paycheck that HDMI is SO NOT the 'final format'. That's funny too... where do you come up with this stuff?

The best you can get over component is 480P.
Wrong again, but again I'll assume you mean composite. Component video gets you 1080i currently. Also no reason why it couldn't go higher...

Also........signal strength has nothing to do with picture quality.

You have DirecTv Digital Service. The picture is either 100%, or it's not there at all.
Well, you got one thing right!

Brew - I'm guessing your TV is like many out of the box, with everything cranked up to 100%... Brightness, contrast, god knows what they are doing with color... your gonna need to bust out the manual and/or toy with the remote alot to get your desired image. If you cannot after hours of toying around, take it back and talk to the master of technology (me, duh) about what you should get.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by dzervit
If you cannot after hours of toying around, take it back and talk to the master of technology (me, duh) about what you should get.

Well tell me Oh great one.....that biotch is going back tomorrow night anyway, due to the power issue.

The opening where the TV is going is 37" wide, so I need to stick to a 32" or some of the 37" ers are like 36 1/8"

I dont want to spend $3000 on a small secondary TV, but I do want something nice.....Hit me with your infinite wisdom..

BREW

Old 05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Sharp LC-37D7U. 37" that measures about 36.6" wide. Perfect. Great image, fast response. Needs some tweaking out of the box but you cannot go wrong with the Aquos lineup. Maybe on the upper end of what you wish to spend, but its one of few high-quality sets that will fit in the space. It's all about the biggest screen baby. Sony makes some great ones, but some of the Sony 32" won't even fit thanks to its huge speaker design. I hate it.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I know enough to know I dont know enough.

I love the picture but all the combinations are enough to drive you batty.

I liked the Sony picture....I just compared the screens next to each other and the Sony looked great....now how well Comcast can deliver a signal to me is a whole other problem

Good luck with it Brew....I'll be going through the same crap soon enough (hopefully )

Old 05-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panasonic 37" Plasma, $1999.95 36.1" wide.
Panasonic 32" LCD $1599.95 31.1" wide.

I have the Panasonic TC-26LX60. Great picture. I get most of my HD OTA and the Panasonic pulls in stations better than my 61" RCA. If the big screen goes out, my next will probablt be a Panasonic. When comparing pictures in a store I trust, with the same hook up, the Panasonic just looked better. Not sayiing all brands were there, but a good selection.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:15 PM
WRONG!!! That's funny stuff. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are talking about COMPOSITE cables. You can't get HD over COMPOSITE. Component you can, and will be able to for a very long time.

Don't be a jack @***......you sound like a little baby.

Do a little research on the AVS forum, and see what the experts think about the subject.

Yes, you can still get HD over Component, as that's the way my set is connected, and has been for the last 5 years.

But, most new sets come with the Component restricted to 480P.

Is Brewdude's set one of these types?

I don't know......that's why I said to check the manual.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with D on the resolution both my 2 year old RCA and 1 month old Panasonic will take 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i thru the component, DVI (RCA), or HDMI(Panasonic) inputs. The big difference between the component, DVI, and HDMI is what the connection looks like and that HDMI also carries sound, rather than it being a seperate connection.
I have looked at other TV's and none I looked at were limited to 480p for the component.
The only limitation I have seen is that DVD's progressive scan are limited to 480p and you must use the component (some now with HDMI) input to get this.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Don't be a jack @***......you sound like a little baby.

Do a little research on the AVS forum, and see what the experts think about the subject.

Yes, you can still get HD over Component, as that's the way my set is connected, and has been for the last 5 years.

Is Brewdude's set one of these types?

I don't know......that's why I said to check the manual.

I am a jackarse... and I said I'd give you the benefit of the doubt....

Anywho name ONE model that cannot input HD via component... I don't know of any... because really what's the point of having the component there then? It doesn't make any sense. My 5 month old, latest generation plasma can, as can every single model I looked at. I've never heard of such a crazy statement... I think you maybe thinking of the restriction that will be placed on a lot of blueray/HDDVD players limiting HD content to only be viewed via the HDMI port... and that has NOTHING to do with the capabilities of the component inputs themselves, its all about Hollywood trying to protect their precious content from duplication and crap.

As far as the 'experts' on the AVS forums, they are just a bunch of enthusiasts like this site. The quality with Component vs. DVI vs. HDMI debate rages on like gas/political threads on this forum. Everyone has their opinion but bottom line is your results can vary depending on your equipment. Anywho... BREW's is a setup problem, not a cable or input problem.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
you sound like a little baby
You are mistaken, he sounds like a BIGGGG baby. All 6' 10", 300 lbs of him.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:14 PM

As far as the 'experts' on the AVS forums, they are just a bunch of enthusiasts like this site.
I swear he insulted us all....I'm not sure because I'm slow but something seems odd....

Old 05-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by vader716
I swear he insulted us all....I'm not sure because I'm slow but something seems odd....
I escaped the insult, I'm no enthusiast.