Kid's Musical Instrument!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kid's Musical Instrument!

Well, my daughter, who is 6 in the 2nd grade (yeah, proud dad alert) had to make a musical instrument at home.

So we jumped on the web and found a SIMPLE plan for a rain maker. If you have never heard or seen one. When you tilt is up the inside material slides to the bottom making the sound of rain. The Aboriginals use them to this day to try and call in rain. This came out GREAT and is a neat alternative from the tissue box rubberband boring music maker.

Material:
2-3" mailing tube
1-2 lbs of nails, depending on the length of your tube.
Big bag of beans, like pinto beans.
Tape
Something to decorate the exterior with.

You begin by nailing the nails throught the tube but not going all the way through. Use A LOT of nails. Let you child bang his/her finger a couple of times, but they get the hang of it and enjoy anything to do with a hammer like dad uses. Add beans, tape both ends up Very well, and decorate. We used some old wraping paper that just had designs on it. This way all the nail heads are hidden and it gives it some mystery.

If you have seen or heard one of these before this baby turned out GREAT. I mean I was really impressed. Lexi was stoked about it. It's nice and loud and she enjoyed making it.

Hell, make it any way one weekend just to do something cool with your kids.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a parent idea out there today. We both had fun and I enjoyed the time spent with my baby girl. Who REALLY wants daddy's truck once it's big. It made a little tear in my eye!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She needs a nice little 4 pc starter drum kit to go with it now ...

Quick Reply: Kid's Musical Instrument!