Tech Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech Question

Hey guys;

Is there anyway to set permissions on a file server based file so everyone can modify it, change it, etc but not delete the file? I've messed with the file Perms even in advanced mode using a Deny on file deletion but I still delete it with no problem.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:28 AM
is this through a share on directly on the server?

Assuming you are using a Windows based NTFS system....

You can allow modify rights and deny delete. Make sure the file does not inherit permissions from the parent and set delete to deny.

Remember though they could open the file, effectively erasing the contents...save it and the file still exists.

Last edited by vader716; 02-22-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
is this through a share on directly on the server?

Assuming you are using a Windows based NTFS system....

You can allow modify rights and deny delete. Make sure the file does not inherit permissions from the parent and set delete to deny.

Remember though they could open the file, effectively erasing the contents...save it and the file still exists.
I know all that but it still lets me delete. Argh.

We're just trying to block against 'mistake' deletions.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by UrbanCowboy
I know all that but it still lets me delete. Argh.

We're just trying to block against 'mistake' deletions.
I just tested it and a standard user was unable to delete the file, both directly or through a share. You are explicitly denying the right to delete correct? (as opposed to simply not checking allow...there is a difference)

Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
I just tested it and a standard user was unable to delete the file, both directly or through a share. You are explicitly denying the right to delete correct? (as opposed to simply not checking allow...there is a difference)
Yes I am and I removed all user rights except the 'Everyone' user.
I even logged in under the accountant login just incase and poof; there it went.

Hmmmm....Tryed the lowest level user and was unable to delete. I think I can figure it out; need to mess with specific user permissions a bit.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 PM

Obviously, I'm not a techie . . . so I can't help you there.

However, I just want you to know I'm offering all the spiritual and emotional help I can. All of us here on the Left Coast™ are chanting a mantra on your behalf.

Good luck. You've got Vader™ helping you out so all is good.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by kobiashi

Obviously, I'm not a techie . . . so I can't help you there.

However, I just want you to know I'm offering all the spiritual and emotional help I can. All of us here on the Left Coast™ are chanting a mantra on your behalf.

Good luck. You've got Vader™ helping you out so all is good.

I think it must be the thin air in the Rockies....its pretty simple...of course he slept on the couch last night so thats probably the problem.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Since this is a tech question thread I have one also.

My computer gave me the following error message "couldn't locate printer"

I turned the monitor so it had an unobstructed view of the printer and I still got tha same message. What now?

Old 02-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Since this is a tech question thread I have one also.

My computer gave me the following error message "couldn't locate printer"

I turned the monitor so it had an unobstructed view of the printer and I still got tha same message. What now?

Is it a CRT or LCD display...?

CRTs are more suscepitble to glare....make sure the sun isnt interferring with the monitor's view

Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
The monitor screen has it's own problems I really didn't want to get into but...

When I put a blank piece of paper on the screen and press the PRINT SCREEN button, I get nothing, the page is blank.

Is there a way to check the print screen fluid?

Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
I called the Help Desk and they asked if I was running under Windows.
I said, "Yes, two of them but, what in hell has that got to do with anything?"

Old 02-22-2006, 01:05 PM
I'll try to address both questions in one post...

Print screen fluid is tricky to change and can really make a mess. I would look at the type of paper you are using as that is likely the problem. Make sure the paper is specifically made for screen printing. Standard copy paper just wont work. If you are using the correct paper let me know and I'll get you the directions for the print screen fluid....but I'll warn you....it involves a wet/dry vac, hoses, and a can opener.

The type of windows you are running under does affect the problem resolution.

If they are single pane wooden windows the glare is much more effective at blocking the screen's view of the printer. Double pain argon filled windows help filter UV rays thus reducing the effect of glare.

Hope this helps

Old 02-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Try running under only window and see if it is glare from the the 2 windows blocking the monitor from fully being able to see the printer. Also try moving the printer to a different monitor and then see if the monitor can't locate it then.

As for the print screen fluid, my mine has a fill hole on the back of the monitor. You can buy it in any store. Just be careful not to add too much though, you don't want it to smear.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Dang Vader, you beat me to it.

Besides, would we really want Raoul using a Wet/Dry Vac. Hoses and a can opener? Would a Goat herder even know what those items are? I say it would be easier to try Vaders idea and make sure you have the right paper.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Raoul's questions remind me of a time that a friend of mine's wife called. They had just bought a Mac and she was trying to find a picture.

My friend and I, knowing she would want to view pictures and email them to her friends, created a folder and called it Geena's Pix (not her real name), and placed it right on the desktop for her so she would have no trouble finding it.

Exidently she was under the impression that when she turned on the computer her pictures would magically open up and all she would have to do is point to them or something (actually, I don't knnow what she must have been thinking because I can't possibly pretend to be so stupid, but anyway) . . . the phone call went something like this:

Geena (not her real name): Hi Kobi™ (not my real name) how's it going? Hey, I want to see the pictures that Ralph (not his real name) put on the computer last night, but I don't see them.

Kobi™: The pix are in a folder on the desktop. You have to open the folder up.

Geena: There's no folder on the desk. I thought he put the pictures in the computer!

Then came an explaination that "desktop" did not mean the desk she was sitting at . . . . that took a while, then trying to walk her thru double clicking on the "Geena's Pictures" icon to open the foder . . . which lead to this.

Kobi™: OK, now move the mouse so the cursor is over the folder that says "Geena's Pix" and double click that. A window will open that will have a list of the pictures.

Geena: A window? No, this isn't Windows™, we got a Macintosh, remember, you told us to get a Mac.

Kobi™: No Geena, a window, not "Windows" . . . just double click the little folder picture, OK?

Geena: OK. . . . . . alright, now what?

Kobi™: OK, so a window opened up, right?

Geena: No! I told you we didn't get windows. We got a Mac!

Anyway, this went on for a while like that. Thankfully she only wanted to see the pictures, not email them. I don't think I could have handled trying to talk her thru emailing someone a picture.

If this is the kind of calls tech support gets, I can only imagine the suicide rate among tech support people is very high . . . or else the murder rate is.

Quick Reply: Tech Question