Help with a '96 Cougar

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with a '96 Cougar

I don't know where else to post this, but somebody will probably give me the info I need pretty quick.

My wife has a '96 Cougar XR7. She had to turn the 4-way flashers on, and now the turning signals don't work. When the lever is moved there's no clicking & no lights come on...even on the dash. The fuse is OK. If I wiggle the stalk there's still nothing.

I need to know from one of you where the flasher unit is. The owner's manual doesn't give a location & neither does the shop manual on CD. I'm guessing that the flasher is the problem, but I'm not about to tear the whole dash apart looking for it. I know where the 4-way flasher is, cause I can hear it. Is the turning signal flasher one of those old round ones, or is it some other shape? Do the 4-ways and the signals share the same unit?

It's cold outside and my wife refuses to signal with her arm out the window.

Help please.

MR

Old 02-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Wish I could help ya bud; but I just don't know. Best of luck!

Old 02-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This maybe a stupid idea, but I'd at least try it if you havent.

Turn the hazzards on and turn one of the turn signals (left ot right) and then turn off the hazzards and see if the turn signal works again. I know sounds retarded, but you never know.

That's the best I have. I wish I was of more help.

BTW...when you have it figured out and fixed, will you post here again, and let us know what it was and how you fixed it?

Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by jamzwayne
This maybe a stupid idea, but I'd at least try it if you havent.
Don't undersell yourself Jamz; that was a great idea

Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puppies now?

Dude, I am gonna have to log off today...or at least until you ..awe hell, nevermind.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:50 AM
the flasher would be close to to the steering wheel. Check just under the dash (where your kees would go). If not there check inside the steering column (probably on the underside of it)

Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by jamzwayne

Turn the hazzards on and turn one of the turn signals (left ot right) and then turn off the hazzards and see if the turn signal works again.

BTW...when you have it figured out and fixed, will you post here again, and let us know what it was and how you fixed it?

I'll give that a try, thanks. Yea, I'll let you know once I've fixed it. My experience has been that sometimes the signal flasher is on the passenger's side of the dash, but on this car who knows?

MR

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The flasher is mounted near the parking brake pedal assembly. It looks like the older circular style ones, held to the dash with a 7mm bolt or a Phillips head screw, I forget which exactly. It should be yellow or grey, IIRC. But before that, try a shot of brake clean through the hazard switch opening (use some that evaporates on contact) to see if the multifunction switch contacts will free up a bit.

Last edited by Quintin; 02-20-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The flasher is mounted near the parking brake pedal assembly. It looks like the older circular style ones, held to the dash with a 7mm bolt or a Phillips head screw, I forget which exactly. It should be yellow or grey, IIRC. But before that, try a shot of brake clean through the hazard switch opening (use some that evaporates on contact) to see if the multifunction switch contacts will free up a bit.

Thanks...I'll try that once I locate some of that type of brakeclean. Would the CRC product work?

MR

Old 02-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by MROLDV8
I don't know where else to post this, but somebody will probably give me the info I need pretty quick.

My wife has a '96 Cougar XR7. She had to turn the 4-way flashers on, and now the turning signals don't work. When the lever is moved there's no clicking & no lights come on...even on the dash. The fuse is OK. If I wiggle the stalk there's still nothing.

I need to know from one of you where the flasher unit is. The owner's manual doesn't give a location & neither does the shop manual on CD. I'm guessing that the flasher is the problem, but I'm not about to tear the whole dash apart looking for it. I know where the 4-way flasher is, cause I can hear it. Is the turning signal flasher one of those old round ones, or is it some other shape? Do the 4-ways and the signals share the same unit?

It's cold outside and my wife refuses to signal with her arm out the window.

Help please.

MR
This happened with my F150. The flasher unit was way up under the dash. But it wasn't the flasher unit. It was the turn signal stalk. I thought it was gonna cost me a fortune but it was much cheaper than I figured.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Thumbs up

Quintin...You da man!!!

I shot some CRC QD electronic cleaner into the 4-way switch, and now everything works.

I thank you & my wife thanks you. Next time you're in the Cincinnati area, stop by my garage for an adult beverage.

MR

Old 02-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool, I love a happy ending.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Thumbs up

For what it's worth, my '92 E150 van has what looks like the same type of 4-way flasher switch as the Cougar. I don't know if the circuitry is the same, or if it's the same for a 90's F-series, but this simple fix is something to keep in our memory banks. Thanks again Quintin.

MR

Quick Reply: Help with a '96 Cougar