You think you're sooo smart, huh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You think you're sooo smart, huh?

Can you read this?

Olny srmat poelpe can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
------------------------------------------------

Tihs deosn't maen we souhld sotp gnivig MountaineerV8 a hrad tmie thguoh...

Old 02-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My problem is when people use the wrong synonym or confuse similarly spelled words. When I come across one of these words ('quite' instead of 'quiet', or using 'and' instead of 'an'), I have to stop reading and figure out what word the writer was trying to use, then go back to reading. A simple misspelling is usually easy enough, but the misuse of words is frustrating and more difficult to read.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 PM
whoa! thats crazy.. i could read that like it was written normally. weird.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm just waiting to hear Raoul's conspiracy theory on this...

Old 02-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Ok Raoul.

Your turn.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I speed read so it's not an issue for me.
Interpretation does take a bit of eye/brain coordination combined with the ability to process information rather quickly. Especially needed for interpreting non-traditional homonyms. (AKA Commonly misused words and phrases that sound alike yet spelled differently.) You have to be able to put the sound into context and then determine the logical intended use.

RJS it does seem odd to me that homonyms bothers you so much that you have to stop and think about it; even reread it again. Because when the average person reads they are imagining hearing the words. If in fact; you are unable to interpret the sound of the word that you are reading and immediately determine what the author is trying to say. Then I would be interested to find out how your brain is processing the information that you are viewing.

Quick Reply: You think you're sooo smart, huh?