damn yellowjackets

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn yellowjackets

Just wanted to say Thanks for the entertaining reads.... I've spent most of last nite & today reading many missed posts.
An unfortunate run-in with a yellow jacket nest has left me whipped.

I never thought the country could be taken outta the girl, but I'm going to try real hard to remember to throw on some shoes next time I run outside
All because I wanted to fill the new squirt guns first!!!

I wasn't too concerned but it's been >24 hrs & damn my foot still throbs. I didn't know my heart had dropped into my toes.
Those damn things HURT. So far all the ice, meat tenderizer, & tylenol hasn't done much.

my luck i'll get stung again next week on leave & have an even worse rxn

Old 08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Talking

Well, zoo crew, I have a method to relieve stings but you probably don't want to do it.

With bee, hornet, and yellowjacket stings, first, I get a needle and finger-nail cutters. Second, I get the finger-nail cutters and cut up the skin where the sting is. Thrid, get the needle and stab the torn tissue where the sting is(heating the needle is optional). And finally, put alcohol or anything that burns on a open wound, and put it in and on the skin.

I know you might not approve this method because you're an Army nurse but it works for me.

Or you can get surgical scissors or finger-nail cutters and just cut out the area where it hurts. Try the methods at your own risk.

Good Luck

Old 08-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ouch.

Been there. Done that. Burned the T-shirt. My run-in was with Mr. Wasp though... back when I was 15.

I don't envy you... best of luck on the road to recovery.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Yeah, yeah--Just cause I'm a nurse doesn't mean I always do what's right.... It's pretty hard for me to always practice what I preach Must be that Army part; doesn't always go with nurse

thanks RP & Vader-- I've been taking it easy & reading all kinds of 'remedies' on the 'net

I did scrape poke prod & ice it...of all the places to get stung too... I'm ready to lop off my damn toe

Old 08-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zoo crew
...of all the places to get stung too... I'm ready to lop off my damn toe
That would be a waste!

First, make a long distance call to a high-ranking figure of the Tokyo underworld.
Insult him grievously.
Then lop off the toe and mail it to him in way of an apology.

(sorry, I checked the manual for 'toe value' and that's all I could come up with)

Old 08-07-2005, 11:09 PM
The most important thing to focus on....

You were/are barefoot....just like a woman should be....

...gotta run...wife is calling....

Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoo crew
...of all the places to get stung too... I'm ready to lop off my damn toe
Maybe it will end up in my chili and I'll be rich beyond my wildest dreams!

Old 08-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
Maybe it will end up in my chili and I'll be rich beyond my wildest dreams!
HAHAHA! Too funny!

Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
The most important thing to focus on....

You were/are barefoot....just like a woman should be....

damn funny, better than the chili comment--bleck!!!

But, my barefoot & preggers days better be over---strictly barefoot now

I've got more than my hands full with my triplets & singleton!!!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel for yea....
I've had my fair share of Wasp, Hornet, and sweat bee's attacks!
I'm a walking target for Wasp for some reason. If there is one with in 500 yards of me they zoom in and comit comacazie (Sp?) sucide for no reason! That's the only thing that use to give me comfort was that they would die with out thier stingers. Now I've become immune to them and a mosquito annoys me more!

So far never a Yellow Jacket, even though there is plenty around and is even our highschool mascot!

Best thing I found to put on a sting is to mix up some baking soda and water in a bowel, about the same consistancy as paste, put it on it. Hope it gets to feeling better.

I'd take care of you if you were closer. I'm not an MD but growing up and living in the country we learn to Doctor our selfs. Everything from home remedies, self sutures, turniquetes, to splints. If it gets to hurting to bad and the whiskey dosen't take care of the pain! Then I have a chainsaw, we can just cut it off...

Old 08-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
I feel for yea....
I've had my fair share of Wasp, Hornet, and sweat bee's attacks!
I'm a walking target for Wasp for some reason. If there is one with in 500 yards of me they zoom in and comit comacazie (Sp?) sucide for no reason! That's the only thing that use to give me comfort was that they would die with out thier stingers. Now I've become immune to them and a mosquito annoys me more!

So far never a Yellow Jacket, even though there is plenty around and is even our highschool mascot!

Best thing I found to put on a sting is to mix up some baking soda and water in a [U]bowel,[/U] about the same consistancy as paste, put it on it. Hope it gets to feeling better.

I'd take care of you if you were closer. I'm not an MD but growing up and living in the country we learn to Doctor our selfs. Everything from home remedies, self sutures, turniquetes, to splints. If it gets to hurting to bad and the whiskey dosen't take care of the pain! Then I have a chainsaw, we can just cut it off...
I hope your using your own bowel!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 AM
^ ......No sh*t.... (i couldn't resist)

Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
My great uncles used to put tobacco juice on mine...

I've been stung a BUNCH... But, not since 1990... And, I don't miss it one bit.

Cheap-*** friend wouldn't put the AC on because it would "burn-up his gas". e're cruising along speedway in Tucson, AZ when something (hornet, wasp, yellow-jacket, honey bee) flew past his cheap-****, and stung me in the neck, on my birthday.

When I got through yelling "If your *** would have had the window up and the AC on, this ***** would't have happened... I said I'll give you some GD gas money, just put the AC on...

How something so small can put your body in pain, and ruin your whole day-is amazing.

The day my grand-dad died, they brought a guy into the Hospital that had over 100 oney bee stings, and he was allergic. He looked like the Michelin man... I don't know if he survived; but he was hanging on in the ICU...

That would be a terrible way to go out...

Old 08-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I was doing some landscape work about a year ago and kicked a little woody shrub that had been confiscated and made into a big nest. Little bastards. Didn't get stung on the toe thank goodness (shoes). I feel for ya.

Quick Reply: damn yellowjackets