car question/ problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car question/ problem

my sister has a 94 t bird and she had been having problems with it and we found that the computer was going bad so we went to napa and the gave us the wrong computer i didnt realise this and i put it in. i tried to start the car and i had no spark so i returned the part. i got home and put the old computer in and tried to start it and i had no spark, which before i pulled it out it had spark. well at this point im done with this car and we bring it to a shop and they came to the concluision that by us putting the wrong computer in it fried the rest of the electronics in it. so now we are left with a car that doesnt run.

my question is what should we do she still ows the bank $700 on this car and they wont let her trade this car for a new one and they wont let her take out a bigger loan to buy another car. so should we try to sell this car as parts or what?

Old 05-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Suspended
I know nothing off electrionics/ coumputers, but I'm guss. that if you did install the wrong coumputer thier is a fuse-link that blew to protect the rest of your electrionics, also. a question, how can you test the coumputer to see if it's going bad? is it as simple as using a volt -meter, aside from testing the batt and tracing back to the starter and coil I don't have much to offer...dose the ignition come on when you turn the key? I like the Tbird-cougar, don't give up..

Old 05-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Suspended
what had happend was one of the cylinders was getting flooded with gas. lets say the third cylinder. so i thought either there was no spark or a bad injector. i replaced the plug and checked for spark and there was spark. so i then replaced the third injector with the second injector i started it up and the the third injector was still floodind out. i talk to may people about this one of the being a mechanic at a ford dealer and we assumed that the computer was the problem. so thats how i got to where i am now. as for the fuses i guess that they didnt have them for it, the car was sent to a shop that that did just electricle work and they could not figure it out.

Old 05-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There aren't really any other electronics to toast. I'd check for PIP signal from the crank sensor. What engine is in this car, BTW?

Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Suspended
I'm confused here....before you jumped to the conclusion it was the coumputer, did you go back to the basics, flue + air than spark, that's what is needed for compression in a cylinder.

I would have first tested the compression of each cylinder, I'm asumming you have a 4.6 but even if you have the v/6 same idea, this would rlue out or conclude that a intake or ex. valve is sticking, also indicates if the rings are bad/good, if the engine compression of all cylinders is with in 10 % of each othier, even if the numbers are low, your ok.

sparkplugs and wires, sounds simple, but if number 3# cylinder had no spark due to a bad spark plug wire, or if the rotor is not hitting the contact on 3 cylinder on the distrubter cap ( i'm not sure if the 94 ford v/8s still had distrubters and not sure when ford went to direct ignition ) is not hitting the contact for the 3 cylinder......no spark.

I'm still stuck in carburater mode so I'm behind in flue systems, but I do know that each injector has to put a set pressure into the cylinder, this sholud be easy to check with a the help of a tbird manual.

I'm skeptical that the old or new coumputer is at falt, Thier are a lot smarter people on here than my self, but I have learned threw trail and error that solving the simple soulutions first saves money, I'm not questioning your mecanical skills and thier is great wisdom and knowledge here, soon you will find the soulution, it's prob. a simple over sight.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 PM

It's possible that an injector driver in the PCM went south and stuck one open, but that's kinda reaching.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:20 AM
I agree with Quintin, the injector drive for #3 cylinder is probally shorted causing the injector to be at full pulse width. I've seen this before. You can check this with a noid light on #3 injector, if you get a steady, non blinking light,then the injector drive is shorted & the pcm would have to be replaced. I'd check the pcm power feeds(fuses) & grounds for continuity. Could be the cause of a no spark condition.

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2005, 12:24 AM

Another important thing too, is to determine why the PCM failed, if it really did. A faulty injector can damage the injector drivers in the PCM. Gotta find the root of the problem and go from there.

Quick Reply: car question/ problem