So I want a police scanner...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So I want a police scanner...

Just 'cause. I figure it'd be nice to have whenever I run into slow traffic or wrecks or whatever. Any of y'all got one? Any recommendations? I'd prefer one of those hand held battery operated jobbers to keep in the truck or take with me wherever I see fit. Cost is a bit of an issue; I've got no problem paying for quality, but I don't need something that costs big bucks. Reliability and durability are number one on the list, though.

Thankee.

Old 09-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hav'nt seen a real good scanner of late... All (most) police are now using "800" band, and its encrypted... In short, if you hear one PD talking on a certain freq, the next time they talk it may be on another freqency. Their radios are capable of "locking on" that encrypted freqency, but a "laymans" scanner cant- so it scans until it pulls or "locks" on the next strongest. It may or may not be the same freqency that you were just listening to. Really good scanners can do it, but really "good" means really "expensive". The reason for all this secrecy is due to the fact that bad guys were buying scanners and listening to what the police were doing- where they were- how long it took to get somewhere- etc... Not to mention the new threat that terrorists could moniter the response of emergency personell. On top of all that, we- I mean they- use alot of codes for different stuff. And every department has different codes for different stuff. Unless you had the codes in front of you, all you'd hear is- "M7, head to 2513 for a possible 35-" "10-4, I'll be 04" "Base, I'll be 05, 07 with a 38" So, while it would probably be interesting, you'd probably be scratching your head alot.
Hope this helps,

Old 09-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Re: So I want a police scanner...

Originally posted by Quintin
I figure it'd be nice to have whenever I run into slow traffic or wrecks or whatever. ..... Cost is a bit of an issue; I've got no problem paying for quality, but I don't need something that costs big bucks.
If you just want to know what's going on with traffic & keep costs down, why not a CB? Plus, I thought portable scanners are not legal to keep in your car in some states...

Anywho, sounds to me like a CB is your answer. A high-quality CB is cheaper than a decent scanner anyday. Plus, you can talk to others and get the scoop. No codes, just good 'ol boys talkin' CB-talk.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:27 AM

Dang nabbit.

I was thinking about getting a CB, but I figured a portable scanner would make more sense. Leave it at home, throw it in the console, set it on my desk at work. So, any suggestions as to what CB to get?

Old 09-18-2004, 12:06 PM
How about XM Radio?

They have a traffic and weather station that covers all of the metro ATL area. I have it and have recently been making a 60 mile round trip from Sugar Hill to Sandy Springs every morning and afternoon. Yucky Ga 400

Anyway, they are constantly giving you trip times, problem areas, weather, etc. They are pretty specefic as to where the problem is, what for and how long. They give drive times between certain exit numbers (and the actual exit name/street). It's about 90% reliable. Sometimes they'll tell you it's a 80 minute ride from X to Y, and then when I get to that same stretch, it's about 20 minutes. That has only happened once though, I would imagine they'll get better.

PLUS! When you don't want to listen to traffic and weather, you have a buttload of other stuff you can listen too.

Just a thought. Pretty cheap too...I paid $150 (I think) for my XM Commander back in February. They're probably cheaper now.

The downside - I don't know what part of Georgia you are in. They basically cover from Gainesville to Peachtree City (North to South), and about that wide from East to West.

Check them out here.

Last edited by TUFF FORD; 09-18-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:16 PM
You can't go wrong with a uniden... http://www.uniden.com/product.cfm?product=PC78LTW Cheap & reliable...

Old 09-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Didn’t even know CB’s where still around. Do many people still use them? How much is that one you linked to cost?

Thanks, and 10-4 good buddy, keep them trucks a rolling…

”We’re going to do what they say can’t be done…”

Old theme from Smokey and the Bandit, Burt out watch your 6…

Old 09-18-2004, 02:51 PM
CB's rule

I use mine all the time when we're hunting...trying to track down those damn dogs.

I also use mine on long road trips. Truckers are a great help for traffic conditions and finding out where those 'Smokies' are long before I get there.

You can pick up a good one from Radio Shack for about $50 or $60. If you get one, have it tuned...you can get a lot more range out of them if you do.

Old 09-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by TUFF FORD
CB's rule

I use mine all the time when we're hunting...trying to track down those damn dogs.
Huh... how do they operate the mike with their paws?

Tuff made a good point on the install. Done right by a pro you'll get ridiculous range.

And don't forget your CB slang: http://www.cbgazette.com/slang.html

Old 09-18-2004, 04:21 PM

Y'all are gonna turn my truck into a rolling electrical store...

TUFF, I'm about two hours south of Atlanta; I can throw a rock and hit Ft. Benning, for reference. I'm all about getting XM sooner or later, just one minor catch. I'm broke as a church mouse right now. Well, Christmas is coming up soon...

Is satellite radio like satellite TV? IE, does it crap out in bad weather or out in the boondocks? I don't live in Mayberry per se, but this is a small rural town I'm in.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:19 PM
You'll get a better signal in wide open spaces. I have issues with the signal at sea level and when the trees are really thick. Going under an overpass will break up the signal for about 1/2 a second.

The cool thing is, when there is a break in signal, there is a 'soft' static, it's not your normal static you hear on the radio. After about a second, if the station does not come back in, it goes silent until the signal comes back.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:35 AM

Oh yeah, how'd you go about mounting your antenna? And installing the controller itself? I'm picky about that, I don't wanna cut my factory wiring up too badly or drill any holes or anything to mount the antenna.

Quick Reply: So I want a police scanner...