Ricky Williams

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricky Williams

What is everyone's thoughts on Ricky Williams? Quitting the NFL when you're pretty much garaunteed to be a Hall-Of-Fame running back and you're only 27 in your prime, and then you walk away from the money and fame just because you're tired of getting crap for getting stoned? I do understand, though, not because of the getting high, but to him, the NFL is just a job, and to walk away from that much money and fame and recognition for something that you believe in shows some serious character, whether you agree with his reasons or not. He uses marijuana for medicinal purposes, he was diagnosed with a anti-social disorder, and to stay in NFL shape, he has to keep a certain diet, and the Paxil that he was prescribed didn't agree with his dies, so he smoked up every 4:20. Obviously, it didn't hurt his performance on the football field, either, so I think they should have just left him alone. Any thoughts?

Old 07-31-2004, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would imagine its all about the whole role model thing....kids looking up to him and stuff.

To be honest it wouldnt bother me if he smoked, and was able too keep it on the down low, I realy dont see an issue (its definitely not a performance enhancement drug ).

Of course I know that many dont have the same view on this subject as I do, so please dont take offense.

Old 07-31-2004, 01:30 AM
Right, right, I don't think many people would agree with his decision, but you have to admire the fact that he felt that strongly about it. Medicinal marijuana does nothing but help people, it's not like he got arrested for driving while influenced or anything. Also, he has a psychological disorder, and the prescribed medicine didn't fit into his diet, so he had to find an alternate means. I do think that it should be more quiet because he is a role model, but I think he saw that, too, and that's why he stepped out of the spotlight.

Old 07-31-2004, 04:42 AM
There are things much worse in this world to worry about then marijuana. The media, as usual, is simply over-sensationalizing things.

He didn't grow up wanting to be a football player, and it certainly wasn't his passion for life. There are quite a lot of sell outs in the NFL (and all of professional sports) who ***** their bodies, lives, families, etc, for as long as they possibly can just to get those green backs. The whole salary thing has (IMO) gotten to an point beyond absurdity. If he can walk away from those millions without batting an eye, then I think that shows something about his true character.

So what if he smokes pot?

Money can't buy happiness.

Sure, my Dolphins are up rectal creek without Ricky... but more power to him!

Old 07-31-2004, 08:07 AM
My angle on it is that he's just another guy who hates his job and would quit in a heartbeat if he had enough $$$$ to tell his employer to shove it...like most of us would!!!!!!

In his case, however, he can actually DO this because he's already rich. WE have to work at jobs or employers that suck because we have bills to pay and mouths to feed. As far as I'm concerned, he's a spoiled LOSER!

He's living out OUR fantasy and we're stuck again.

Oh, to be rich and famous (well, maybe just rich).

Old 07-31-2004, 08:40 AM
I think it’s a non-issue. The Dolphins’ will certainly survive without him.

Old 07-31-2004, 08:11 PM
That's why it's hard for me to agree with Ricky, because I am a Dolphins fan. If they can't make the playoffs with him, what are they going to do without him? Just have to wait until the season to see.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Pickup Man
That's why it's hard for me to agree with Ricky, because I am a Dolphins fan. If they can't make the playoffs with him, what are they going to do without him? Just have to wait until the season to see.
I'm 100% with you PM. I, too, am a Phish fan and have been since I was a sperm. Dan Marino was my hero and I still think that Mark Duper was one of the best players ever to wear a Phins jersey.

Ricky has definately burned some bridges but, it is his decision. I could only be so fortunate to be able to make such a decision at his point in life. I mean, he's YOUNGER than I am (by a couple of years) and is many times a millionaire. You can't make someone do something that they don't want to do I suppose.

The Phish still have some incredibly strong points. Timing, in my opinion, was EXTREMELY poor on Ricky's part and he's really let his team mates, as well as fans, down with a decision 1-week prior to opening camp. For that, I'm upset with him but, other than that, it's a free world and he can roam it and live with third world natives and explore his zen from that perspective.

As an alternative opinion.... some people just freak out and loose all their common sense for no apparent reason... (food for thought)

RP

Old 08-01-2004, 09:01 AM
This is a little off the subject, but who is your all time favorite Dolphin? ZONK is mine. He had a tenacious charge through defenses that was unmatched, lots of fun to watch! Larry Csonka’s career rushing record for the Dolphins of 6,736 yards still stands. Remember when Zonk and Kiick were known as "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"?

Old 08-01-2004, 11:06 AM
If he changes his mind and wants to play ball again in the future, I hope arena league is his only option. When a ball team spends a crap load of money on a first round draft pick, that doesn't pan out, they are stuck in the contract. If they break it there are legal ramifications. I hope the Dolphins go after his pocketbook in court. Contracts work both ways. I hope he never carries a football in the NFL again. I have lost interest in pro-sports lately for one reason... There is just no team loyalty anymore. Not from the upper echelon of players.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:21 PM
The only problem I have with his quitting is his timing.
It was a horrible time to quit for his team, considering training camp was about a week out at the time...so they're left with a pretty big hole to fill now that he has quit.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:33 PM
I hate his timing, too. I think my favorite Phin is probably Marino, but I loved Mark Duper, the Zonk, Bob Griese and Paul Warfield. Ricky Williams was up there. Maybe Zack Thomas, too.

Old 08-02-2004, 01:20 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
SQUISH THE FISH, SQUISH THE FISH This just makes Buffalo's job a tad eaiser without Ricky, (now could he get a haircut). Ricky cannot do as he pleases, (ie: smoke pot) whine and snot, what ever. He is a professional and by walking away he let down a bunch of folks. Here in Buffalo we cheered.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Evidently, if you have enough money, you can just do whatever you want. He let a lot of people down, but only the selfish people. If I could quit and just go party 24/7 for the rest of my life and never have to worry about anything ever, I would too.
I heard the Miami might be able to negotiate a trade for Edgerin James (sp?). He played for the Hurricanes, that would be awesome if he got to play for the Dolphins! They need to get back with Denver and see what they can do about getting Clinton Portis.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd love to see the Colts loose Edgerin (sp) to Miami. The Colts vs. Miami rivalry is intense as it is... talk about tossing a little gasoline on the already ample fire!

RP

Quick Reply: Ricky Williams