Hello from a newbie, looking at getting an 86 F150 XLT Lariat...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from a newbie, looking at getting an 86 F150 XLT Lariat...

Hello from Raleigh, NC. I am in the market for a truck and I have a very limited budget. I test drove a truck tonight being sold by a private individual. He is asking $2k but said he would take $1800. It is a 2WD truck with the 302, and all the options that come with the XLT. Does this sound like a reasonable deal? Until recently I was a "lifer" Chevy guy so I don't know much about these trucks or motors. Anything in particular I should look out for? Here's a link to a few of the pics I took of that truck tonight- http://community.webshots.com/album/135848081QZYgRq?730

There's some body damage to the passenger side rear but the truck looks to be in great shape for it's age other than that. No rust anywhere, starts right up and runs/drives good. He switched out for a rebuilt engine in 2000. I plan to read through the archives as much as I can in the next couple of days, but if any of you want to offer any feedback on my situation I'd appreciate it

Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Darren...

I had an 86 Lariat XLT with the 351 H/O motor in it. It was an all around good vehicle. Sold it in 2000 for 3k to a local landscaper. I still see it occasionally out there on the road. Don't know what to tell you about the one your looking at though.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here are my thoughts on this.
First, a pickup truck will always be worth $1,000 to somebody no matter how beat up it is.

As for the truck in question, I see some possible positives.
If it is a one owner, that would be very good.
The truck would not be in running order without regular care at this point.
I would be wary of a rebuild in the last year however, a four year old rebuild would indicate it was done right.
The photos show a good looking exterior/interior for its' age.

Does NC have State inspections? If so, and they are in the glovebox, they would show a 'mileage history'.

The value is in the eye of the beholder as pics dont't show everything and pricing something this old is very subjective..
(If he dropped from 2,000 to 1,800 at the start, he'll sell it for $1,500 which would be as high as I would go.)

Old 04-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. Raoul, you make some very good points, thanks a lot! NC does have inspections, so there should be a mileage history. I was able to figure out the mileage on my old CJ5 that way. He says he is the second owner.

I am going by there after work today to check fluids, etc. and if nothing looks suspect, I'm going to give him a deposit assuming we can agree on a price.

Quick Reply: Hello from a newbie, looking at getting an 86 F150 XLT Lariat...