I can't believe this site wants to

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe this site wants to

charge for a forum to keep track of maintaince on you're vehicle.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:04 AM
wait.....what?

Old 03-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Am I missing something? Or are you referring to the ownersite.com banner on the site?

Old 03-14-2004, 01:27 AM
I am referring to

ownersite.com

Old 03-14-2004, 10:40 AM
don't subscribe then. it's not like they are kicking down your door to force you to do it. you can keep track of your vehicles yourself then. jeez.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Re: I can't believe this site wants to

Originally posted by #One F150 4X4
charge for a forum to keep track of maintaince on you're vehicle.
That's just wrong! I can't believe that anyone would expect to be compensated for providing a service. What is America coming to?

Old 03-14-2004, 11:55 AM
F150online
Founder
God forbid! And, I can't believe that grocery stores have the audacity to charge me for apples when I can plant a tree and grow them myself!

Like someone else said, if you don't want to use the service, don't use it. It took me nearly three years of hard work to develop Ownersite.com to its current state and it costs money to keep it up and running and growing.

The company has been completely self-funded prior to launching our subscription model and using it adds a lot of value to vehicle ownership for its target market. Several hundred people on this forum can probably attest to that. I am extremely proud of that.

We're no longer in the dot-com frenzy economy of the 90's, that means Ownersite.com needs a legitimate revenue model to continue on and a company that provides a service can no longer realistically provide it for free. If it's not for you, that's fine and I'm not the least bit offended.

A quick economics lesson...if you happen to earn $10/hr and it takes you two hours to develop a comprehensive Excel spreadsheet to track your maintenance expenses, fuel economy, etc. you've spent about the same amount of money to build it yourself as you would have by subscribing to Ownersite.com. Of course, what you would have built only encompasses about 1/4 of Ownersite.com functionality, as it goes far beyond maintenance and expenses by adding recalls, tsb summaries, service reminders, detailed reporting, trip logs, vehicle information storage, etc, etc.

Oh, and what he might be referring to are the two new links on the Main Menu to the left <------- Maintenance and Recalls & TSB's

Both redirect to Ownersite.com now. Since the Home Page of Ownersite.com allows for Recalls & TSB summary lookups without having to subscribe and I update the information twice per week, it made more sense to redirect people there rather than on this site where it was not updated as frequently.

Last edited by webmaster; 03-14-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LMAO!

Very good comparison Steve. It is hard to believe that the grocery store sells apples and other various fruits. The nerve. LOL!

RP

Old 03-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by webmaster
God forbid! And, I can't believe that grocery stores have the audacity to charge me for apples when I can plant a tree and grow them myself!

Like someone else said, if you don't want to use the service, don't use it. It took me nearly three years of hard work to develop Ownersite.com to its current state and it costs money to keep it up and running and growing.

The company has been completely self-funded prior to launching our subscription model and using it adds a lot of value to vehicle ownership for its target market. Several hundred people on this forum can probably attest to that. I am extremely proud of that.

We're no longer in the dot-com frenzy economy of the 90's, that means Ownersite.com needs a legitimate revenue model to continue on and a company that provides a service can no longer realistically provide it for free. If it's not for you, that's fine and I'm not the least bit offended.

A quick economics lesson...if you happen to earn $10/hr and it takes you two hours to develop a comprehensive Excel spreadsheet to track your maintenance expenses, fuel economy, etc. you've spent about the same amount of money to build it yourself as you would have by subscribing to Ownersite.com. Of course, what you would have built only encompasses about 1/4 of Ownersite.com functionality, as it goes far beyond maintenance and expenses by adding recalls, tsb summaries, service reminders, detailed reporting, trip logs, vehicle information storage, etc, etc.

Oh, and what he might be referring to are the two new links on the Main Menu to the left <------- Maintenance and Recalls & TSB's

Both redirect to Ownersite.com now. Since the Home Page of Ownersite.com allows for Recalls & TSB summary lookups without having to subscribe and I update the information twice per week, it made more sense to redirect people there rather than on this site where it was not updated as frequently.

very well put !

Old 03-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Seems as though I started something

I belong to a site for my bike and on that site I can keep track of and update my service record. I can't afford to take my vehicles in every time for service so it makes it easier and more accurate to do so on the computer. The service is provided complimentary to the subscribers, and the site like this one is free. I didn’t mean to pi$$ anyone off, but it was just a thought. Does everything revolve the almighty dollar. I guess it does. Sorry.....

Old 03-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Re: Seems as though I started something

Originally posted by #One F150 4X4
Does everything revolve the almighty dollar. I guess it does. Sorry.....
I guess so. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so upset about having to spend some of yours. It goes both ways.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
F150online
Founder
Does everything revolve the almighty dollar. I guess it does. Sorry.....
Just so I understand, this question is coming from someone that just spent at least $3,000 on a plasma TV, right?

I would be willing to bet that the bike site that you mention accepts advertising or sponsorships. While the site may be free to use by the end-users, someone has to pay the bills...and guess what, if pages you look at have ads on them, it's you! If it does not have a source of revenue and has an audience as large as this one, it won't be around much longer to provide anyone free services. Welcome to the economics of the real world.

Ownersite.com operates under a subscription model, meaning the end-user pays for it and it is ad-free. F150online is provided to end-user for no-cost, but is paid for by advertisers and sponsors. It's really not free. You pay for it with every page you view or banner ad you click. Both need a source of revenue to survive.

Is there something wrong with that? To imply that greed is the driving factor is really not fair. This is my job. This is my income. Financial world domination is not the end goal. Taking care of my family is.

Last edited by webmaster; 03-14-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:07 PM
$3500.00

Just so I understand, this question is coming from someone that just spent at least $3,000 on a plasma TV, right? Thats right with three years same as cash!!!!! Listen it was just a thought I did'nt mean to get every ones panties in a bunch. The site is sponsored by a major auto/motorcycle company and they're the ones footing the bills. Forget I made the post. Jeez I guess I should have bought a different truck?????

Old 03-14-2004, 08:10 PM
F150online
Founder
No worries #One...note my smilie faces, take it in gest.

And while you're at it, don't reach the conclusion that the opinions of a couple people represent millions of others. They don't necessarily and I don't mean to imply that they do.

As noted in my post, the site you mention is commercially sponsored so the reality is that you ARE paying for it.

BTW, I'd be curious to know what the bike site is...I know it's not motorcycle.com, as they are a fee-based site now.

Last edited by webmaster; 03-14-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:15 PM
# one...lighten up

This is a really good group of people here
I personally take no offense to this post. This site if run by a man who also runs other sites. This one is FREE for us to use as long as we don't mind dealing with a couple of unintrusive banner ads.

He runs other sites under different models but they are ALL out to make a few bucks...I doubt that Webmaster makes a bunch of money off avg users at any site he runs....I would think (just my guess) that Ownersite.com is used more by comercial users than avg end users...

all else aside...don't take anything you see here personally

Stan

Quick Reply: I can't believe this site wants to