Where is your checking account?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is your checking account?

and are you happy with your bank?
I seriously need to find a new bank.
I've had an account at the credit union for about 10 years now, and I just can't take their unprofessionalism, so I am using them less and less. Read about the Credit Union here. Scroll down for the details on the Truck. It's almost funny.

I also have a personal, and a business account at TCF, but right now I'm REAL unhappy with them for allowing an unreasonable amount of unauthorised purchases to go through, and trying to get away with saying it is my fault. Read about TCF here. It almost makes one cry.

I'm tired of the drama, so if you like (or hate) your bank post it here so I can either consider it, or avoid it.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aha!

You want me to post my bank info so you can scam me out of my $18.36 I have sitting in my chequing account.

My bank sucks the big one too, fees are too high and too many, and service is crappy. Big long line ups, few tellers, and they won't go out of their way one iota to help you.

I'm gonna start keeping my money in the freezer. Bundle it up in brown butchers paper, and write "chicken livers" on it with black marker. It should be safe there.

I'm just kidding, I'm too poor to 'bundle' anything, LOL
3 money clips in my night-stand drawer, and never used them.
What's the point for a folded up twenty, haha

Habibi

Old 12-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Credit unions are the best. I've been with them for about 6 yrs. not 1 problem

Old 12-01-2003, 10:05 PM
I will never go back to a normal bank willingly. My credit union rocks.

Sorry yours is not that good. Can you do most of your banking online so that you can avoid them?

If you are that unhappy though, try to find another credit union before going to a bank.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Doubt you'll find mine in your area...

www.cecu.com

Old 12-01-2003, 10:25 PM
I use Bank of America (so do my parents).

Since Im in college, I get a checking account, minus all the fees As long as I show activity of some sort on the account, but the fees should also be waived since my parents use them too.

So far I cant complain but I havent really used it that much (just to buy some books, odds and ends for my truck...not much). The online banking is nice

Im not sure if they are "good" for regular accounts though.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I use Bank Of America as well.

Their on-line banking is awesome and it is free if you maintain a couple thousand balance in your account.

I travel heavily and the ability to check and pay bills via the Internet is simply priceless to me.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:29 AM
My bank is awesome. They are small, and are probably not in your area. They started out as a private bank (still do private banking) but do have public accounts.
Because they are small with so few branches, they REFUND any ATM fees charged by any bank in any amount. So, if I use an ATM at Bank of America (one of the worst banks in the world) and they charge $1.50...my bank refunds that amount at the end of each month. And they'll do it for any bank's ATM that I use, anywhere in the world.
My checking account pays interest. Costs me nothing (NO FEES).
There are no tellers, there are no lines. My bank's branch is small. There are four desks with an executive banker that works each. My banker knows me by name. When I call my branch, I talk to him...a real live person...and whenever I call...a real live person answers.
My Bank's service is second to none, and I would never bank anywhre else.
AND...you don't have to be rich to bank there (I'm certainly not) and they stiill offer this kind of service regardless.
I bank with First Republic Bank. Don't know if they have offices in your area, but you can check out their web site
www.firstrepublicbank.com
They have regular banking, private banking, online banking, trust services, business banking, brokerage services....they do it all.

I have heard that Northern Trust Bank is also good.

Last edited by kobiashi; 12-02-2003 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:54 AM
I use a local credit union here in Jacksonville called Vystar Credit Union. It is only in 5 or 6 counties in this area, so it would definately be out of the question for you. But this bank does not have nearly the same service that they used to have when I joined with them about 7-8 years ago.

They used to be called Jax Navy Federal Credit union that was only for military people. Even though nobody in my family has been in the military, we were able to get in because of my Grandfather who used to be in the military. They always had decent service, but when they changed their name last year, things really went downhill for them. They said that service would not change that they were only changing the name of the bank, but that is not what happened.

They have one of the lowest daily ATM withdrawals of any bank in this area. I think all they will allow you to withdrawal by ATM in any one day is like $200 or $250. And if you have the check card that can be used as a Credit card, then I think it is like $500 or so a day used as a credit card. I have had many people come to my register at work and buy electronics and then have to void it off because this bank would not let them use their ATM card. This is the only bank that I see people constantly having problems with their cards. And many machines just will not accept the cards at all.

Now they do have one good thing about them, like the checking accounts are free regardless of how much money you have in there. If they charged if you had less than a certain amount, I would always be paying them, as I hardly ever have any money in there. And they also pay interest at the end of every month. Other than that, they are not that great anymore. There are many other things that I don't like about them, but they are just way too much to post here.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Bank of America, too, but I hate them. Too much b.s. and too much runaround about it, going to Wachovia very soon.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Credit Unions have it over banks, hands down.

All of the money in a Credit Union is 'the members' money' and is treated as such.

Most of the money a bank has is the banks' money and thats' the way it's treated.

They are two different animals. In this area, banks have gone to court to try and stop Credit Unions from expanding the qualifications for membership(such as the example above "my grandfather was in the military"). Banks see credit unions as a threat,

Old 12-02-2003, 09:07 AM
here is one to try, considering that you are in Michigan...

open an account in a Canadian bank. They all offer US dollar accounts. All of your deposits and withdrawls would be in US and as such would not be subject to fluxuations in currency.

You can do all of your banking via phone, internet and ATM.

Start with a small amount while still maintaining a US based banker. See if you like it. Having money stashed in another country may be helpful one day.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 AM
My credit union is decent (Sea West federal credit union) but the tellers lack any sense of personality, they seem like robots to me. They have good rates on loans, and offer online banking as well.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Thumbs up US BANK ROCKS!

I am a bank having GOD!

I have had an account at Bank of America since 1981 and let me tell you they bloody suck! They are crooks and dont give a damn about anyone but themselves.

I have had accounts at 6 yes SIX diffenent Credit Unions and they all sucked almost as bad as BofA!!

I have had foreign bank accounts (probably some of the better service I have had), but still not pleased.

I had 5 different accounts at AmSouth.... CAUTION! WARNING! BEWARE! - I would steer clear of these nincompoops!

I now bank with US Bank. I have to say that I am very happy now. They have been the best bank I have ever had. So I now have all of my business account with them. I have my house and real estate loans with them. The only credit card I have or use anymore is with them. I have money market, savings and checking accounts with them and they have branched EVERYWHERE. I am yet to travel to a town without a US BANK.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Netbank is great if you meet two conditions:

1 - You can't qualify for a credit union
2 - You don't deposit cash. Ever.

All your banking is online. No fees for anything unless you screw up and bounce a check. Interest bearing free checking with no minimums.

The only thing that beats them is a credit union for reasons already stated above. The only times they've annoyed me are when i have to make a paper deposit (you'll love it if you're Direct Deposit) since it takes 2 days to get it to them by mail if it's a check, and 5 days to clear if you use a deposit-taking ATM. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Where is your checking account?