Opinion: Alarm effectiveness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion: Alarm effectiveness?

What does everyone think? I made an appointment to put an alarm on my new truck for next week, and I was just curious what popular opinion was about the effectiveness of alarms as a deterent against theft. I guess F-150's rank pretty high nationwide (and much higher locally for me) among vehicles stolen, but there are also a lot more of them than most cars/trucks out there. Anyone?

Old 05-29-2003, 12:57 PM
If someone wants your car, they're gonna get regardless of an alarm or not.

Most people find car alarms as an annoyance nowadays, there always going off. How many times in parking lot have you seen someone set of the car alarm while trying to use the power locks? Or someone getting in the car and whack the car next them which has a sensitive alarm? I've seen both so many times, that whenever I hear a car alarm in a parking lot that pops into my mind before theft.

On the other side, car alarms would be a deterent to the *new unexperienced* thieves, the stupid, or the deciding on a whim thief.

My suggestion, go for the alarm. Get window sensors and get an extra alarm horn put on the inside of the vehicle. That way if they try and break into the vehicle through the window to steal a radio or any junk you have laying around, the horn inside may make them jump or get out quicker.

I had my car broken into at work and they stole the radio. Alarm never went of because window the broken and they reached in and poped out the radio. Had I had a window sensor and inside horn, I may have just had to deal with a broken window.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Kinda what captainoblivious said. I say go for it.
I have an alarm on my truck, plus I have window modules that let me roll the windows down from the remote, and a proximity sensor inside the truck, and remote start. My windows will automatically roll up when the alarm is armed, but if I roll them down or someone is able to break them without setting the alarm any movement inisde will trigger the alarm. The only trouble I've had is I can't leave anything hanging from my rearview mirror that will swing when the truck rocks from wind... I also have it set on passive arm. So, when I forget to roll up my windows and/or lock/arm my truck, it will do so about a minute after I shut the door...

but I got it for the window gadgets, and to scare off kids and such that might bother it... It's kinda like a fence though, keeps an honest man honest, but nothing more...

Old 05-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Hey, closer9, did you get your alarm installed around here? My appointment is at Mariconi's.

Old 05-30-2003, 02:21 PM
You need an alarm. From what I have heard these trucks can be broken into without even scratching the paint. But like they said "If someone wants your vehicle they will get it or what they want off of it."

Old 05-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just buy better insurance, but thats me.
If the alarm gives you a little better piece of mind, then by all means get one.
Just like everyone has said, if they want your truck, its gone

FWIW........I don't even bother looking when I hear alarming going off, most of the time its me causing it with the long tube headers and the Bassani

Old 05-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I agree Gator,

Alarms sounding are so prevalent around here that people don't take them seriously.

When I was 19, I had an alarm, I thought the "chirp" was the biggest cool factor, now I consider alarms to be just an annoyance and a gizmo that will break down. (or cause other problems)

However, my truck is always parked in the garage, and I seldom leave it "out of view"

If I was going to get something like that, it would be one of those GPS trackers.

Habibi

Old 05-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Well, I admit, alarms can be annoying. I live in an apartment compex, however. It is fenced, but about two months ago, when I was driving my POS '91 Skylark (MSRP- about $9.50), we had a rash of break-ins. They hit my car (unlocked) and, though I didn't have anything of value, they tore out my glove box to rummage through it. Now, this car is $#!tty, broken door lock, window doesn't roll down, headliner drooping... BTW it's for sale! My truck, however, is not $#!tty. Like I said, our neighboorhood is fenced, and when a car alarm goes off, people notice (even if it is just to complain), but I think it would be a lot harer to drive out of here with 20 buildings worth (about 8 apartments per building) of renters looking at you in a big, black truck with alarms sounding and lights flashing out the gate. Also, the night before the break-ins, no alarms went off. These guys were petty theives, not after the rides. I think that's about the extent of what I'm up against here. Now that I'm done replying to my own posts, anyone else?

Old 05-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Flytrap,
I've got an Avistart (DEI) 3300 www.alarms.com/coms.asp

I got it from and installed at Best Buy. If you don't already have an alarm, and decided to go down there (Fayetteville) talk to Mike. I bought my alarm there, but ordered the modules online, and Mike installed it all for me. Great guy really knows his stuff...

Old 05-30-2003, 04:43 PM
I agree with some of the others here who basically say an alarm is useless. If it makes you feel better and you don't mind parting with money that will NOT prevent someone who REALLY wants it then go ahead.

Myself I have full coverage on my truck, like I am sure all here do. With that being said I would really love to either buy, or design a ONE TIME use alarm.

What I mean by that is it would only be activated once and serve three purposes. First, it would guarantee that my truck would NOT be stolen, second, it would guarantee that my truck would be paid off in full, and third it would guarantee the scumbag thief would NEVER ever be able to steal or try to steal another vehicle and/or the belonging inside.

I think I would call it “3/1” or “3 in 1” Three purposes, one time use.

It would work like this:

Truck/car thief attempts to enter vehicle to steal it and/or belongings and the alarm activates. When it activates it would have a voice stating something to the effect of “Your @ss now belongs to me” then the entire vehicle would freaking explode into a huge fire ball contained within the area of the vehicle. No other surrounding people would be hurt, no other property etc. Kind of like a smart bomb…

Currently seeking research money, any takers?

Old 05-30-2003, 04:51 PM
I'll gladly donate the 8 bucks I get for my Buick when I sell it.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:25 PM
When my wife * I lived in the "Ghetto Complex" (While we saved for a down payment)

We purposly always drove $1,000 *****-boxes.
Even though we could afford to buy a late model vehicle, it was pointless - anyone with a nice vehicle always got it vandalized, and messed with.

We never kept anything in the vehicle, and never locked it.
(Sometimes I miss the days of having a big *** 81 olds.
You never worried about scratches, didnt give a ***** if it got a ding, who cares, haha

Now most of us park 10 miles from the entrance, and take time to walk around the truck each time it's been out of view.

What's my point?
I have no idea! I'm taking a break from cutting the lawn and felt like babbling, LOL

Habibi

PS----> I'm getting tired of cutting the grass every 2 days! All this stinkin rain. (ok, I vented)

Back to work I go.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Habibi
Now most of us park 10 miles from the entrance, and take time to walk around the truck each time it's been out of view.
What are you doing, watching me at the local parking lots?

Old 05-30-2003, 06:27 PM
200 pound doberman would work for me if i had somthing to protect

Old 05-30-2003, 06:28 PM
200 pound doberman with cats = Priceless...

Quick Reply: Opinion: Alarm effectiveness?